Is it just me, or does Costco seem overpriced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
So I debated for a long time about dropping the Sam's Club membership I'd had for 15 years, and instead signing up with Costco. Friends were constantly gushing over the quality and deals to be found there. Besides, they sold wine and liquor, which the Sam's Club in my area didn't offer. So I took the plunge.

That was three months ago, and I'm still looking for all these great deals.

I got an email recently with the latest specials. One example, there was a Samsung Sound Bar on sale for $250. I found the same model on Amazon for $219, and a Groupon offer for $199.

Another model was $149 at Costco and $129 on Amazon. Furthermore, Amazon delivers right to my door, while I have to go stand in long lines at Costco.

I won't even go into the outdoor furniture set that I saw "on sale" for $2000 at Costco. I ended up buying a comparable (but not the same) set on WayFair for under $500.

Fresh produce is more expensive overall, as is toilet paper.

I have to say the meat is good quality (definitely a step above the local grocers), but you are paying through the nose for that quality. It's not like they are selling it at rock bottom prices.

If I had to compare Sam's to Costco, I would say Sam's is comparable to WalMart (with good reason), while Costco feels a little more like Target. Except I have to pay annually for the "privilege" of shopping there.

Sorry to vent, but I'm starting to question this decision. :glare:

Last edited:
We now see Costco as a "pick and choose" shopping place... We bought less and less there until we decided to not keep paying the yearly dues.. Of course, part of that is that we downsized overall... When there is something we want at Costco, Jeannie goes with a friend who maintains a membership..

We had a membership with Sam's when in Missouri and found them to be much like Costco with a bit less to choose from..

Ross

Many items are cheaper at Costco and Sams. And many are not. I only tend to buy repeat items where I know I'm paying the lowest prices. I rarely buy fresh meat and produce at Sams or Costco with the exception being 80/20 ground beef I buy for just over $2 per pound. Wine prices seem good but I can pick up the same at even lower prices at Ralph's if I buy any six bottles. Their house brand (Kirkland or Members Mark) generic over the counter medications are usually the best deal going.
It all depends. You've gotta know your prices.

You can find lower sale prices elsewhere but generally, Costco's regular prices are lower than supermarket regular prices. And the quality if often better.

Costco often negotiates extras from the manufacturer for the products packaged for Costco that are not part of that brand's products sold in other stores.

A Consumer Reports test of TP a few years ago identified Costco's brand as the lowest cost per use of the brands tested.

No doubt there are some things higher priced at Costco but I think they're worth the trip.

So I debated for a long time about dropping the Sam's Club membership I'd had for 15 years, and instead signing up with Costco. Friends were constantly gushing over the quality and deals to be found there. Besides, they sold wine and liquor, which the Sam's Club in my area didn't offer. So I took the plunge.

That was three months ago, and I'm still looking for all these great deals.

I got an email recently with the latest specials. One example, there was a Samsung Sound Bar on sale for $250. I found the same model on Amazon for $219, and a Groupon offer for $199.

Another model was $149 at Costco and $129 on Amazon. Furthermore, Amazon delivers right to my door, while I have to go stand in long lines at Costco.

I won't even go into the outdoor furniture set that I saw "on sale" for $2000 at Costco. I ended up buying a comparable (but not the same) set on WayFair for under $500.

Fresh produce is more expensive overall, as is toilet paper.

I have to say the meat is good quality (definitely a step above the local grocers), but you are paying through the nose for that quality. It's not like they are selling it at rock bottom prices.

If I had to compare Sam's to Costco, I would say Sam's is comparable to WalMart (with good reason), while Costco feels a little more like Target. Except I have to pay annually for the "privilege" of shopping there.

Sorry to vent, but I'm starting to question this decision. :glare:

Like any other store, I pick and choose, both for price and availability. I save enough on coffee to pay the $45 membership fee. Beer and wine are generally cheaper and the variety is good and varies, which I like. Almost never pick up hard goods at Costco.

Ok. Good to know. I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm there, and see what's worth it and what isn't.

Here's my other petty grievance. Admittedly, it's a little thing, but still annoying nonetheless.

The first time I shopped there, I found what I thought was a good buy on smoked sausage. I don't remember the exact price, but it was marked at something like $8.99 for a 2-lb package with 10 sausage links.

When I went through checkout, the package rang up at $18. I told the woman that it had said $8.99 on the sign. She said, "Well, it is $8.99 PER POUND."

Hmmm. So just something to be aware of... the tags may not always reflect the package price. Now that kind of pricing would be easy to understand if the packages varied in size, but every last one of them was labeled as 32 ounces, so why add the confusion or make people do unnecessary math to figure out what they're paying? Furthermore, the "lb." on the shelf tag was in much, much smaller type than the dollar amount, so it's easy to overlook if you're not scrutinizing it.

Oh well. Like I said, a small thing.

Ok. Good to know. I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm there, and see what's worth it and what isn't.

Here's my other petty grievance. Admittedly, it's a little thing, but still annoying nonetheless.

The first time I shopped there, I found what I thought was a good buy on smoked sausage. I don't remember the exact price, but it was marked at something like $8.99 for a 2-lb package with 10 sausage links.

When I went through checkout, the package rang up at $18. I told the woman that it had said $8.99 on the sign. She said, "Well, it is $8.99 PER POUND."

Hmmm. So just something to be aware of... the tags may not always reflect the package price. Now that kind of pricing would be easy to understand if the packages varied in size, but every last one of them was labeled as 32 ounces, so why add the confusion or make people do unnecessary math to figure out what they're paying? Furthermore, the "lb." on the shelf tag was in much, much smaller type than the dollar amount, so it's easy to overlook if you're not scrutinizing it.

Oh well. Like I said, a small thing.

FWIW there are many sites on the internet devoted to Costco pricing and reviews of the products. They are worth a look.

I've not seen the pricing you describe. Like most stores, Costco here puts the package price in the largest typeface.

I see that often with prepackaged items. You can get fooled until you get to checkout. But those items are individually stickered with the correct corresponding prices, just like any meat product.

In the old days when I had kids at home, Costco (then Price Cub), was a real budget saver. Buying food in bulk made sense then, but not so much now. When I stop to think about it, I think I keep my membership because they have the best lamb I can buy in this area.

In the old days when I had kids at home, Costco (then Price Cub), was a real budget saver. Buying food in bulk made sense then, but not so much now. When I stop to think about it, I think I keep my membership because they have the best lamb I can buy in this area.

I really like their racks of lamb. They're from New Zealand or Australia (can't remember which one). They are smaller but more lamb-flavored than American lamb. I used to buy the loin chops but SO doesn't care for them anymore.

This may sound a bit OCD, but ever since we moved here to the mainland, I've kept a running list with quantities and prices for the places that I shop:
Costco
Walmart
Trader Joe's
local Supermarket chain
I buy only certain items at certain stores.

As others have said, I like Costco's quality of meats. I spoke with a butcher once who told me to buy all of my meats there, they have the best quality for the price. And I find the costs the same as anywhere else, but it's better.

I save my receipts from each and update my list accordingly.
Oh and I now carry a small pocket calculator in my purse at all times,
I'm not very good at math :rolleyes:

I like my Costco membership as well for a cheaper tank of gasoline!
I save 20+ cents per gallon and I can use this in any State that we're in ;)

This may sound a bit OCD, but ever since we moved here to the mainland, I've kept a running list with quantities and prices for the places that I shop:
Costco
Walmart
Trader Joe's
local Supermarket chain

As others have said, I like Costco's quality of meats. I spoke with a butcher once who told me to buy all of my meats there, they have the best quality for the price. And I find the costs the same as anywhere else, but it's better.

I have found sale prices at grocery stores to be lower than prices at BJ's. One butcher's opinion wouldn't sway me.

You have a smartphone, right? They all have a calculator app. Nothing is easier for a computer than simple math ;)

I don't know all the details because DH gets our gas - he fills the tank in his F-150 and a couple of gas tanks and then puts gas in my tank - but I think with Kroger's fuel points, we get a discount of 39 cents per gallon.

We just switched a prescription to Kroger and got a $75 store credit. I never got such deals at BJ's, or heard of such at Costco.

I have found sale prices at grocery stores to be lower than prices at BJ's. One butcher's opinion wouldn't sway me.

You have a smartphone, right? They all have a calculator app. Nothing is easier for a computer than simple math ;)

No, actually, I don't have an sort of wireless phone.

I don't know all the details because DH gets our gas - he fills the tank in his F-150 and a couple of gas tanks and then puts gas in my tank - but I think with Kroger's fuel points, we get a discount of 39 cents per gallon.

Our affiliate Kroger's store offers gas discounts as well, but no more than 10 cents on the gallon, per month per $100 I spend in their store. If even compared gasoline prices in our Quad City area, I still can't beat Costco, oh plus our Visa card that I use there gives cash back rewards, NICE!!

We just switched a prescription to Kroger and got a $75 store credit. I never got such deals at BJ's, or heard of such at Costco. Our drug plan is very different, I can't go to grocery store pharmacies.

Our drug plan is very different, I can't go to grocery store pharmacies.

Each households' situation is unique, and that's one of the reasons that I keep a running list from each of the places that I shop. I watch the ads, I compare pricing, very OCD ;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

Costco
Walmart
Trader Joe's
local Supermarket chain

As others have said, it is hit and miss on cost savings at Both COSTCO and Sam's.

I buy my meats their, divide them up, vacuum seal them and freeze them. I also buy Kirkland spices. I don't know how the cost comparison is, but they are good.

Otherwise, I just have to keep prices from Kroger in my head and weight the difference, if any. I can do much better at Kroger on cleaning and paper products when Kroger has them on sale -- which is always one brand or another.

I like the customer service at COSTCO a lot more than at Sam's.

CD

I can't speak to prices at Costco because there isn't one anywhere near us. The only large discount seller here is Sam's and I cautiously shop there. There are only a handful of items I purchase there largely because they are not available anywhere else in our rural region. We're kind of held hostage because of our location.

For the most part, I find I can buy most of what we need at local grocers for far less than what Sam's offers. Since it's only the two of us, a case of canned veggies is not necessary. However, Kroger often has canned veggie sales that make Sam's look like royalty should shop there. You have to shop wisely and compare prices.

Our weekly budget is modest and we do just fine. I avail myself of the 2-day free shipping offers that Wal-Mart now has and take advantage of such sites as Chewy (for pets) and Jet for many other goods.

I was surprised to learn recently that Jet now has fresh foods and looked into the pricing for a few items. I was surprised to learn that red grapes at Jet competed favorably with red grapes at our Kroger nearby. Something to think about.

As for my comments, you have to understand that I actively dislike shopping...of any kind...and will sleuth out ways to avoid it any way possible. With the availability of so many free, quick Internet outlets, I'm becoming a very happy camper.

Katie, it sounds like Jet, et al, was created for people just like you! I've looked, but not bought. I'm a real touchy-feely kind of shopper. I don't want someone else picking my tomatoes or meat. Just me being...me. ;)

...You have a smartphone, right? They all have a calculator app. Nothing is easier for a computer than simple math...
My smart phone has replace my calculator, watch, and on occasion is my mail browsing device. So much punch in such a little piece of technology.

...I don't know all the details because DH gets our gas - he fills the tank in his F-150 and a couple of gas tanks and then puts gas in my tank - but I think with Kroger's fuel points, we get a discount of 39 cents per gallon...
Price Chopper (out of Schenectady, NY) offers a fuel points program. It starts with earning 10 cents off a gallon of gas for every $100 spent, points good for the month they are earned and another two months. Then there are the bonus points, add-on programs to get more points, etc, etc. I rarely shopped Price Chopper, and went there hardly ever once the Market Basket opened a town north of them. Then when Market Basket staged its 6 or 7-week "strike", I started to watch P-C's ads more closely. I found if you play the angle just right, it's easy to rack up a discount of 40- or 50-cents-off. Since we don't go out much, and our cars are good on mileage when we do, I save up until I need a near fill-up in one car or the other. Last week I got gas with a 57-cent-per-gallon discount, but my best was last fall when we earned 74-cents-off! Not bad for someone who doesn't do all the shopping at just that one place.

We don't have a Sam's Club or a Costco near enough to me that I would consider getting a membership. My cousin that I stayed with in VA has a Costco membership and whenever she comes down she brings us anything we need - it just wears out Mom too much for a weekly/monthly trip up there now. In fact, we have to get Mom's hearing aids next month and she's getting me a thing of the New England Chicken Salad and a box of the Chobani yogurt - need to look for my cooler and dig the ice packs out of the freezer.

Costco usually has some of the best prices on gas, and it's top tier, so it's comparable to name brand gas (extra detergents). I probably save enough on generic Flonase to pay my membership each year. I get enough in rewards to pay for my membership most years.

They seem to really curate their products really well, I've been really impressed with a lot of Kirkland products.

I've gotten some great deals on household stuff.

Back
Top Bottom