Pot Growing legal or not? (offshoot of ephedra thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Growing regulations of just about anything in the US is up to local jurisdictions. There are actually areas where growing pot is legal so without the benefit of knowing where the OP lives, no one can say if it's legal for them to grow. Obviously they are in the US if they are referring to the FDA, but each state has its own regulations too. Even local laws apply that could be stricter than state laws.

Growing pot is against federal law. I am unaware of anywhere in the US that it is legal to grow pot.
Growing large fields of pot for financial gain is illegal. There are areas where growing a couple of plants for personal use is legal. If my brother was a member he could give you a complete list of every state and city in the country where it is legal.

It might be legal under that particular states law, but it is still illegal under federal law which means it is still illegal. The local state authorities will not bust someone for that, but the feds could and do.

It might be legal under that particular states law, but it is still illegal under federal law which means it is still illegal. The local state authorities will not bust someone for that, but the feds could and do.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this because the federal agents I knew would never bust someone for having pot if it was legal in the local jurisdiction.

Watch the news. Medical Marijuana is legal in CA under CA law yet the federal agents have busted many many medical marijuana places because it is illegal under federal law. Just because the federal agents you know wouldn't bust someone does not mean that they can't or that it is legal under federal law. It is still illegal.

Growing pot is illegal under both federal law and all state laws, with the exception of states which allow certain people to grow it for medical use.

Possession and use of pot is also against both federal and state law everywhere (though in some states it is not a crime), with the exeption, again, of medical use.

State By State Laws - NORML

Regarding ephedra, I would be very wary of that, personally. How do you know the correct amount to ingest?

It's a small pain to get it from the pharmacist, but seems to me safer and easier that way.

Growing pot is against federal law. I am unaware of anywhere in the US that it is legal to grow pot.

yeah, there are places where it is grown for medicinal purposes.
pharmaceutical grade weed is used for glaucoma, chemotherapy-
induced vomiting, pain relief for cancer, neuropathy, etc. my
father-in-law had metastatic prostate cancer and was prescribed
marijuana - legally - by his doctors. he was terminal and I don't
know if that makes a difference and he lived in Oregon.
as far as it being a federal crime for the non-regulated stuff,
there are a bunch of people in my neck of the woods that are
committing it! you can take a walk in the woods at times and
stumble on the stuff growing wild there is so much of it in some
areas. about every other month you hear of a HUGE pot bust
somewhere around here.:wacko:

ellakav, yet there are places where it is grown for medicinal uses, but that does not make it legal under federal law. The state laws and federal laws are sometimes at odds. Your FIL was legally prescribed pot by his doctor, but it is still illegal under federal law. If the feds wanted to come in and arrest him they would have the legal authority to do so even though under state laws he was not doing anything wrong.

ellakav, yet there are places where it is grown for medicinal uses, but that does not make it legal under federal law. The state laws and federal laws are sometimes at odds. Your FIL was legally prescribed pot by his doctor, but it is still illegal under federal law. If the feds wanted to come in and arrest him they would have the legal authority to do so even though under state laws he was not doing anything wrong.

seriously? I didn't know that. I figured that since it was
medicinal and prescribed that it was free and clear. ya learn
something new every day.
my FIL doesn't have to worry about getting arrested though -
the cancer took him last July. I know it helped him towards
the end especially because he had it in his bones. I have
known other people that have used it medicinally as well so
it does have it's purposes. do you think it is against federal
law because it is such a huge drug of abuse?

I have my thoughts about why it is illegal, but I cant discuss them here as it would be in violation of our rule about not discussing politics.

I am very sorry to hear about your FIL ellakav, but I am happy to hear that he was at least able to get some relief from something that helped him. I am very much in favor of people getting the medicine they need.

The state laws and federal laws are sometimes at odds.....but it is still illegal under federal law.

I agree. It is and will continue to be illegal until Congress passes a law legalizing it, or until Congress repeals the law they passed that criminalized it.

I have my thoughts about why it is illegal, but I cant discuss them here as it would be in violation of our rule about not discussing politics.

I am very sorry to hear about your FIL ellakav, but I am happy to hear that he was at least able to get some relief from something that helped him. I am very much in favor of people getting the medicine they need.

I hear you. I have my own thoughts as well. Thank you for your
your concern about my FIL. It was very hard on my husband.
Knowing how the Sr. suffered puts me on the liberal end of this
spectrum. oh, hey, what a beautiful day I think I'll go outside!...

The history of "hemp" legality in the US is quite interesting indeed.

Drive around in central North Kansas in the right season, and you will think (if you
are so inclined) that you hit the motherlode.. but it is just hemp grade stuff.
In WWII, it was a valuable crop for the oil content and the fibers.. now it grows wild and looks like a big party just waiting to be harvested!

It is interesting... I challenge anyone to find a culture or society in ALL of humanity's "civilized" existence that did not have some sort of drugs as an important part of the religious or common life. I believe that the human brain is hardwired to seek out and use mind altering substances, and prohibiting them is, in essence, going against human nature.

Heck, there is an excellent arguement that the discovery of brewing and wine making is why humans went from mobile hunter-gatherers to static agricultural societies.... and the first steps toward "civilization."

fascinating stuff.

Canada allows certain places and people to grow pot. You need to apply for a special license I believe but it is allowed.

We used to live in Oregon and knew many people who successfully used the medical marijuana law to treat bona fide health conditions. To my knowledge, there were no DEA raids in Oregon, but there certainly were many in California. AG Eric Holder vowed to end DEA raids on medical marijuana suppliers: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/us/19holder.html?bl&ex=1237867200&en=2b2aa383e85bac72&ei=5087

Despite this promise, there was a raid in San Francisco a week later....

yesterday I posted that about Oregon. my husband came from
Washington and his dad lived in Oregon and was using pharamaceutical
grade weed in his cancer treatment. I since found out that he had
a permit to grow it as well. I'm from California (originally) and it's crazy
how many raids there are out there.

Back
Top Bottom