"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Is it right to arrest someone inside a bar for public intoxication?
No 17 85.00%
Yes, please explain 3 15.00%
No opinion 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2006, 09:24 PM   #31
Master Chef

My husband and I used to often take vacations to places where we could get a nice hotel room within walking distance of great restaurants and bars, and walk back to our room. As a matter of fact, we chose the community we live in because we can do that. The thought that we could be arrested for no good reason because we chose to walk home rather than drive, knowing we were above the limit for driving is pretty scary. Public intoxication should be used for people who get into fights, etc. But saw on the news a couple years ago of places in Virginia where the police arrest people for being genially drunk in a bar ... who have no intentions of driving home, and weren't bothering anyone.

I have many friends who like to think they don't drink too much, and drive all the time. The thought that they are on the road, yet people who have the sense to know when they've had one too many and will take a cab or walk can STILL be arrested, before they step out the door, is scary.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #32
Everymom

OK, I have been following this thread for a while now and while I agree that no one should be subject to random police weirdness, I have a hard time believing there isn't more to this story. You just can't fit all the information in a short sound byte, or in so many inches of newspaper column.

I have a friend who is a police officer and I just can't see him behaving like that without some kind of cause.

I'm reserving judgement on this one. My crap detector is going off.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #33
Head Chef

I am glad to see there are places that have so few problems with crime that they can afford to send their officers into bars to arrest people who are quietly having a few drinks containing a legal substance, and not bothering anyone.

Agree with Alix, something sounds strange about this.

But most arrests, searches, etc. based on the selective application of rarely (if ever) applied laws generally don't stand up, I do not believe.

And am with Claire, when we go out for a special meal, and want a bottle of wine and maybe an after dinner drink, make sure we can take a cab or walk.

In a few weeks we will be going to a conference in a hotel, where we will be staying.

Am sure there will be a cocktail hour on one of the nights.

If people were going to be subject to random checking for being a tad tipsy, I am sure the organization would never hold the conference in that area again.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
The police state has arrived. It makes me cry. But this is STILL the best county in the world......... for now.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
OMG!!! I would absolutely dieif they did that here! I say WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!! COuld you imagine? Your go to a bar to DRINK and you cant drink....hmmm....I say Law suit! If they wanted to "nab" the culprits why not sit outside the bar and wait for them? Why arrest the innocent....
Old 03-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
OK, I have been following this thread for a while now and while I agree that no one should be subject to random police weirdness, I have a hard time believing there isn't more to this story. You just can't fit all the information in a short sound byte, or in so many inches of newspaper column.

I have a friend who is a police officer and I just can't see him behaving like that without some kind of cause.

I'm reserving judgement on this one. My crap detector is going off.
There is no crap here, Alix!! The TABC {Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission} is doing this. They don't need ANY reason other than they think they are drunk, no blood test, not breathalizer, nothing!! Google it, if you don't believe, but, it's the truth. It's all over the news, radio and newspaper. I don't think that I have ever had someone on here tell me something I put on here is crap. That's okay, I know it true!! I live here, it's happening in one of the cities near me!! Talk to the people that it's happening to!! Tell THEM it's crap.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:51 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
My crap detector is going off.
alix, i'm just curious what that sounds like?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #38
Everymom

I have apologized privately in a PM to texasgirl, and now will clarify here for anyone else who is upset with me.

I am NOT stating that what was reported is crap. What I am saying is that I believe there is unreported (for whatever reason) information. The police may not have released all their info, the media may not have been able to report all their info. My point is I personally don't believe I have enough information to make a judgement in this case. So, please do not feel I am disagreeing, rather, I am reserving judgement.

And buckytom, the crap detector sound is sort of a high pitched whine...like this *buckeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeisabrat*
Old 03-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #39
Executive Chef

The only thing I find objectionable is the repeated use of the word crap.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #40
Everymom

What word would you prefer mish? I thought that was the least objectionable word I could choose for what I truly meant.