Is it right to go inside a bar and arrest someone for public intoxication?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it right to arrest someone inside a bar for public intoxication?

• No

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Yes, please explain

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

texasgirl

Master Chef
Do you think it's right for the police to go into a bar, decide that someone is drunk and arrest them because they MIGHT get out on the streets? Without asking if they have a designated driver or whatever?
They are being arrested for PUBLIC intoxication. I always believed that a club or a bar, was PRIVATE property and if you go outside, that was public. Am I wrong in thinking that peoples rights are being violated?
Don't get me wrong, driving drunk is a BIG pet peeve, but, if they don't have proof that these people were going to get on the road, that's not right. They arrested a man that came into town, went to a bar across the street from his hotel and arrested him for slurring his words while INSIDE the bar. He had no intention of driving, he didn't even have a car to drive!!! They didn't care either. What do you think?

I think that if they arrested him for just slurring his words... it's wrong.
BUT... is there more to the story??

texasgirl said:
Do you think it's right for the police to go into a bar, decide that someone is drunk and arrest them because they MIGHT get out on the streets? Without asking if they have a designated driver or whatever?
They are being arrested for PUBLIC intoxication. I always believed that a club or a bar, was PRIVATE property and if you go outside, that was public. Am I wrong in thinking that peoples rights are being violated?
Don't get me wrong, driving drunk is a BIG pet peeve, but, if they don't have proof that these people were going to get on the road, that's not right. They arrested a man that came into town, went to a bar across the street from his hotel and arrested him for slurring his words while INSIDE the bar. He had no intention of driving, he didn't even have a car to drive!!! They didn't care either. What do you think?

I think he should fight it. That's totally wrong...unless the bar manager called the police because he was becoming a nuisance. Is this someone you know?

I've typed and retyped my response to this over and over and just can't seem to get the words out correctly so all I'm going to say is no I don't believe the officers were right in taking this approach to arresting someone. However, if a person is legally drunk then by no means should they be allowed behind a wheel.

SizzlininIN said:
I've typed and retyped my response to this over and over and just can't seem to get the words out correctly so all I'm going to say is no I don't believe the officers were right in taking this approach to arresting someone. However, if a person is legally drunk then by no means should they be allowed behind a wheel.

Oh, I agree with you 100%!!
But, to go inside the establishment, not find out first if there is someone else driving, and just arrest them, I don't like that. If they want to do that, wait outside and grab them as they leave and head for a car. That shows that they intend to drive.

Yes, I agree that no one should be allowed to drive drunk.

But his poor guy just had a room in the inn, and went down for a few drinks.

If he is havning a few drinks, and is doing nothing more than that, what harm is he causing?

All he has to do is take the elevator back to his room and go to sleep.

In a town very near me, they have horse race meets every year.

People who have all kinds of money go to them, there is no legal betting but the idea is to drink and make private bets. And they all get as drunk as skunks.

They then get into their cars and drive home, and the cops do nothing to stop them.

They are at there to direct traffic.

Or, where are the cops outside of rock concerts to pick up folks who have over imbibed some substance, legal or not, and then get behing the wheel?

Heck no, those occasions bring in money for the area.

And the police are told to be, well, forgiving.

But let some guy leave his hotel room, go downstairs to the bar, and drink enough to slur his words, is he a criminal?

Or what is wrong with some people going to a bar and having too much and taking home a cab?

I am curious. Is 0.8 the limit for public intoxication, or just driving?

And is a person, unlike a driver, requried to take a breath alcohol test who is found in a public place, just minding his own business?

Have gone on for too long, but am not defending drunk drivers.

Just people's right to act responsibly, and yet have a chance to relax legally.

I am strongly opposed to drunk drivers and feel that the authorities, in general, are too easy on them. MADD is a charity I support.

That being said, I think this is inappropriate behavior for the police. I wonder if it would be supportable in court??

I wonder if there is a pattern to the types of places that are targeted for this type of attention. It would be a way to discourage patronage for these establishments, redirecting the business to others.

I don't agree with this at all. Next they'll be breaking down people's doors and arresting them in their own home for having one too many.

Being someone who is actively involved in a lot of alcohol-based activites, I have mixed feelings about this. It's really getting into that "slippery slope" type of area.

If a patron is being drunk and disorderly, fine the police can come if called, but to show up unannounced and try to grab someone for "public intoxication" seems like bad news to me. Especially since many bars are privately owned. Yes the public is free to come and go, but it seems to me it's still private property. Just like the parking lot at the mall, at least in Michigan. Private property isn't patrolled by police, because that requires the permission of the lot owner and a local law allowing police to do.

If you're drunk out on the sidewalk, that's a bit different.

John

I think the police are violating the spirit of the law here. I agree with John, if the cops are called because someone is acting up then that is one thing, but to come to a bar and just start aresting someone for being drunk is insane.

Not right at all, Gee, can't have any fun anymore.I believe that a person going out to drink better have a driver. I really hope this guy can fight the wrong done him. I hope he sues the county for losing his job and wins big time. At this rate they better start builing alot more jails.

middie said:
I don't agree with this at all. Next they'll be breaking down people's doors and arresting them in their own home for having one too many.

That was mine and dh's first thought too!!

This happened in Irving, TX. The really bad part is that they did not give the people any soberity (sp) test at all. They were just arrested and taken to jail.

The city of Irving should spend some time enforcing code violations, not harassing business and people having a couple of beers. If they get in their cars and drive off, that is another issue, arrest them and take them to jail.

This program started somewhere in Va. and was tossed out of their courts if the information I got is correct.

Later

For those that answered "Yes", if you feel comfortable doing so would you want to explain why you feel that way? Only if you feel comfotable doing so though.

GB said:
For those that answered "Yes", if you feel comfortable doing so would you want to explain why you feel that way? Only if you feel comfotable doing so though.

Right, not to get into a heated argument, just want to know the feelings of the other side. I'm sure there is a valid reason for your answer.

hey, where's mr. aclu on this? (phinz :) )

it would never fly in nyc. just about every other bar here is a "cop or fireman bar" meaning that at any given time of the day, that's who you'll find patronizing the place, sometimes even on duty. i'd like to see them try to arrest a brethren.

hmm i wonder what the irving police chief does on his days off?

Back
Top Bottom