"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Is it right to arrest someone inside a bar for public intoxication?
No 17 85.00%
Yes, please explain 3 15.00%
No opinion 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Master Chef

Is it right to go inside a bar and arrest someone for public intoxication?

Do you think it's right for the police to go into a bar, decide that someone is drunk and arrest them because they MIGHT get out on the streets? Without asking if they have a designated driver or whatever?
They are being arrested for PUBLIC intoxication. I always believed that a club or a bar, was PRIVATE property and if you go outside, that was public. Am I wrong in thinking that peoples rights are being violated?
Don't get me wrong, driving drunk is a BIG pet peeve, but, if they don't have proof that these people were going to get on the road, that's not right. They arrested a man that came into town, went to a bar across the street from his hotel and arrested him for slurring his words while INSIDE the bar. He had no intention of driving, he didn't even have a car to drive!!! They didn't care either. What do you think?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think that if they arrested him for just slurring his words... it's wrong.
BUT... is there more to the story??

Old 03-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Do you think it's right for the police to go into a bar, decide that someone is drunk and arrest them because they MIGHT get out on the streets? Without asking if they have a designated driver or whatever?
They are being arrested for PUBLIC intoxication. I always believed that a club or a bar, was PRIVATE property and if you go outside, that was public. Am I wrong in thinking that peoples rights are being violated?
Don't get me wrong, driving drunk is a BIG pet peeve, but, if they don't have proof that these people were going to get on the road, that's not right. They arrested a man that came into town, went to a bar across the street from his hotel and arrested him for slurring his words while INSIDE the bar. He had no intention of driving, he didn't even have a car to drive!!! They didn't care either. What do you think?
I think he should fight it. That's totally wrong...unless the bar manager called the police because he was becoming a nuisance. Is this someone you know?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

pds,To his story, no. I will try to find the link.
It's been all over the news all week.
Connie, this isn't anyone I know, he spoke to the news reporters about it. This doesn't show the guy, but, shows you what they are doing.
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/8034788/detail.html
Old 03-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

Here it is about the guy. I forgot that he had gotten fired from his job over it too. And it wasn't a bar across the street, it was IN the hotel he was staying in.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.10b9f8a.html
Old 03-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

I've typed and retyped my response to this over and over and just can't seem to get the words out correctly so all I'm going to say is no I don't believe the officers were right in taking this approach to arresting someone. However, if a person is legally drunk then by no means should they be allowed behind a wheel.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I've typed and retyped my response to this over and over and just can't seem to get the words out correctly so all I'm going to say is no I don't believe the officers were right in taking this approach to arresting someone. However, if a person is legally drunk then by no means should they be allowed behind a wheel.
Oh, I agree with you 100%!!
But, to go inside the establishment, not find out first if there is someone else driving, and just arrest them, I don't like that. If they want to do that, wait outside and grab them as they leave and head for a car. That shows that they intend to drive.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
Head Chef

Yes, I agree that no one should be allowed to drive drunk.

But his poor guy just had a room in the inn, and went down for a few drinks.

If he is havning a few drinks, and is doing nothing more than that, what harm is he causing?

All he has to do is take the elevator back to his room and go to sleep.

In a town very near me, they have horse race meets every year.

People who have all kinds of money go to them, there is no legal betting but the idea is to drink and make private bets. And they all get as drunk as skunks.

They then get into their cars and drive home, and the cops do nothing to stop them.

They are at there to direct traffic.

Or, where are the cops outside of rock concerts to pick up folks who have over imbibed some substance, legal or not, and then get behing the wheel?

Heck no, those occasions bring in money for the area.

And the police are told to be, well, forgiving.

But let some guy leave his hotel room, go downstairs to the bar, and drink enough to slur his words, is he a criminal?

Or what is wrong with some people going to a bar and having too much and taking home a cab?

I am curious. Is 0.8 the limit for public intoxication, or just driving?

And is a person, unlike a driver, requried to take a breath alcohol test who is found in a public place, just minding his own business?

Have gone on for too long, but am not defending drunk drivers.

Just people's right to act responsibly, and yet have a chance to relax legally.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I am strongly opposed to drunk drivers and feel that the authorities, in general, are too easy on them. MADD is a charity I support.

That being said, I think this is inappropriate behavior for the police. I wonder if it would be supportable in court??

I wonder if there is a pattern to the types of places that are targeted for this type of attention. It would be a way to discourage patronage for these establishments, redirecting the business to others.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I don't agree with this at all. Next they'll be breaking down people's doors and arresting them in their own home for having one too many.