Is my refrigerator dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I've noticed the last couple days that things in my fridge aren't as cold as normal. It's not packed overly-full, either. Actually there's a bit less in it and the freezer than normal. Last night I noticed that the milk was pretty tepid and the ice cream was really soft so I turned the temp down on both the fridge and the freezer. This morning, nothing had changed. A couple of hours ago I moved the ice cream to a different shelf and it's gotten harder but nothing in the fridge has cooled down. Plus, it hasn't stopped running all morning.

Does this mean what I'm afraid it means? Do we need to start shoping for a new refrigerator?:ermm:

First thing that comes to my mind is to check the coils. When they get dirty and loaded with dust then they fridge will not work the way it should. Check that first.

I have to echo GB's response. That happened to ours and once we cleaned the coils it was fine again.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about that and it makes sense. I'm embarassed to say it's been a couple months since I've cleaned behind there. I'll have to have hubby pull the fridge out for me when he gets home tonight.

Old door wicks can cause losing temperature...
And refrigerator cools due to gas inside. So there may be a leak of gas...
I'm not sure if you can understand that...

Last edited:
also check to make sure the door closes all the way. ours tends not too sometimes. or maybe you need the freon checked. do as gb said and check the coils first though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom