"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I keep thinking on what I've been able to improvise over the years, I've done so many, but nothing sticks out.

I did find out it was cheaper to buy white cotton t-shirts to use as large dressings on Shrek's arms, after his motorcycle accident, than it was to buy the first aid gauze. And they were reusable after washing and boiling.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I make furniture covers with old curtains.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #13
Head Chef

A while ago I learned that I could make my own brown sugar using white sugar and molasses. This saves in two ways. First I always have the ingredients on hand since I normally need molasses at Christmas and no other time. So there is always a jar sitting in the cupboard. But it is slightly cheaper to make my own than to buy brown sugar.
But beyond that no matter how I work to package the store bought stufff I always end up with a brick of brown sugar. I'm talking an industrial strength brick which won't yield to the microwave or the food processor. I always have to throw it out. But For some reason when I make my own it doesn't seem to clump. I just put it in a zip lock bag and it stays fresh and lovely till I need it. And even if It did clump, which it doesn't, I could just make up a quick batch in the fp.
I used it to make my Christmas cookies this year and DH's kids just raved about them (and these kids will never even eat most things that I cook, out of loyalty to their lovely mother I assume.)
Give it a try. I use light molasses. Oh, just so you know the brown sugar made at home does have a more molasses flavor but not much.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Actually, I thought they looked more elegant pooled on the floor... In our bedroom, I added some lace panels to the sheets, they were on clearance for $3 a pair.
I know it's supposed to look elegant, but it just looks too long to me. I'd be after the extra fabric to make valences or matching pillows.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I know it's supposed to look elegant, but it just looks too long to me. I'd be after the extra fabric to make valences or matching pillows.
I would do anything so I don't have to sew...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #16
Head Chef

I found cloth shower curtains that fit perfect in the Victorian decor in my bathroom for $5:00. But no window curtains were available. So I bought 2 pair and set about to make window curtains only to find that my sewing machine had bit the dust. I made them by hand. Not professional looking, but passable.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would do anything so I don't have to sew...
Here's my no sewing window treatment. I have a kitchen full of roosters I've collected and I wanted a rooster valance over my kitchen window. I found a nice tapestry table runner that worked really well I think. Husband attached a board above the window, and we cut the table runner in half, and attached it to the board with brass upholstery tacks. The only sewing involved was tacking the pointed ends of the table runner together.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

now that is adorable. good for you!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Here's my no sewing window treatment. I have a kitchen full of roosters I've collected and I wanted a rooster valance over my kitchen window. I found a nice tapestry table runner that worked really well I think. Husband attached a board above the window, and we cut the table runner in half, and attached it to the board with brass upholstery tacks. The only sewing involved was tacking the pointed ends of the table runner together.
Very nice...maybe I might attempt something like that. But honestly, I am NOT arty-crafty. I know how to sew, knit, embroider, etc. I hate doing it, it makes me crazy! I can sit and read for 48 hours at a time!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks

Babe, I really had to laugh over the frozen liverwurst in the cooler for your medicine!! Thinking maybe you should have put a box of crackers in there too, with a note to take it with him for lunch.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote