"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #21
Senior Cook
Those are some awesome ideas ^^^ ladies...I have been wracking my brain to come up w/some goodies that I have come up w/in the past to post. I have come up w/some "doozies" before - still can't top mom though!! Evidentially they fashioned a tv series show off of how creative my mum was..some may have heard of it.."MacGuyver"..well, she was leading inspiration for that show!!(I'm CONVINCED) LOL
But, seriously, I grew up with my mom always looking at various random objects w/these weird soundiing ramblings "if I could get THIS to be about THAT size, I think that I would be on to something...) LOL..she WOULD find SOMETHIING to get her contraption going, &, ahhhh - the sickness has passed down to me!! (NOT my kiddos though. To them, to get something "fixed", its time to incorporate a professional)..sighs...
I just got the "riggin" in my blood is all!! :)

Midnight_Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
My Mom and StepMom both showed me how to sew starting when I was around 12. My Mom made most of my clothes, and my StepMom makes incredible quilt art. I started making my own clothes when I was newly married and went on to making curtains for my new home. I didn't always use my sewing machine, but I always had one.

When I found a set of Queen size sheets that had the most beautiful wide border of sea shells and stripes with sea shells within the stripes, I just could not stand it that they were covered up when the bed was made, so I made curtains from them, and later on I made a twin size fitted sheet from the queen size one. I even took the matching dust ruffle and made valences.

So really necessity in this case was not the mother of invention, but the sheets being too beautiful to hide under a bedspread.

KL: That's just adorable and very clever!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Babe, I really had to laugh over the frozen liverwurst in the cooler for your medicine!! Thinking maybe you should have put a box of crackers in there too, with a note to take it with him for lunch.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #24
Master Chef
I am 5'9" and not thin. I have three sisters, and while they're smaller than me at this time in point, we've all had our moments. I learned to sew at an early age, and when I was young, I learned to wear men's clothing (as did one of my sisters). We've always joked. We may not sew, but we do out of necessity. We always joke about the scene in The Sound Of Music when Maria pulls down the curtains to make clothing for the children to play in. That is SO my family! I think my mom made clothes out of anything she could find (imagine four daughters on a sergeant's pay!). We were always dressed to die for, and we all learned to turn something into something else!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
sounds like my childhood. navy brat. my grandmother made us clothes out of flour sacks. they were in prints then and the storekeeper would save several with same pattern for my grandmothers. loved those full skirts.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #26
Sous Chef
I love flavored creamer for my coffee, but I can't stand the thought of drinking soybean oil (which is what that non-dairy crap they sell is made of) so I started making my own! I add pure vanilla extract, and caramel, or cocoa powder and sugar to half and half. I've added almond extract, coconut- the options are limitless. The only slightly odd thing about it is that I make my own caramel syrup rather than just buying it. It is a bit time consuming, but it is sooooooo good!!! Now they started selling the flavored creamer that is actually made from milk and cream, but I have more options making it myself :)

Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote