"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Is Necessity Your Mother of Invention?

today, my pharmacy was due to deliver meds. i wanted to take a nap. they will not leave insulin unless i leave out my little lunch box with the frozen block of blue stuff.

my freezer is stuffed and i could not find the block. needing my nap badly, i put a frozen roll of liverwurst in the box. it worked just fine and the delivery guy got a good laugh.

tell what you have done or still do that may be what people think is strange but works.

__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Very clever, Babe!

I would say that I'm cheap and that is the Mother of my Inventions. I figured out how to hang my cheap drapes without overspending on hardware. A piece of PVC 1/4 inch pipe and three hooks to fit cost me about $10, instead of the $45 for curtain rods.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Very clever, Babe!

I would say that I'm cheap and that is the Mother of my Inventions. I figured out how to hang my cheap drapes without overspending on hardware. A piece of PVC 1/4 inch pipe and three hooks to fit cost me about $10, instead of the $45 for curtain rods.
i did the same for a valance in my puter/sewing room. made the valance as well. no drape on the slider itself so i can see the outdoors.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
I go to estate sales and buy up all of the cleaning products and plastic wrap/ bags etc for pennies. Last time I did this I came home with a huge box of stuff for about $12.00. Now some will say that I am cheap but many of those products I just can't afford to buy on a regular basis.

We are very limited on space so since dd didn't want to get rid of any of her many stuffed animals I bought a white garden latice made of plastic and had dh screw it to the wall above dd's window. Now all of her stuffed animals hang there on circles of elastic so that she can take them down whenever she wants. Looks adorable, does what I need it to do and costs pennies.

Today since I had leftover mac and cheese I ground it up and used it for the filler in my meatloaf instead of oatmeal. Worked great, family raved.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i did the same for a valance in my puter/sewing room. made the valance as well. no drape on the slider itself so i can see the outdoors.
I used flat twin sheets as drapes. They worked great and they were color coordinated to each room.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I used flat twin sheets as drapes. They worked great and they were color coordinated to each room.
very clever. i used cheap muslin. then sewed ball fringe on the bottom. the fringe cost more than the fabric or the rods, but it really looks custom made. aren't we clever.

i like the stuffed animal solution a lot, too.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I go to estate sales and buy up all of the cleaning products and plastic wrap/ bags etc for pennies. Last time I did this I came home with a huge box of stuff for about $12.00. Now some will say that I am cheap but many of those products I just can't afford to buy on a regular basis.

We are very limited on space so since dd didn't want to get rid of any of her many stuffed animals I bought a white garden latice made of plastic and had dh screw it to the wall above dd's window. Now all of her stuffed animals hang there on circles of elastic so that she can take them down whenever she wants. Looks adorable, does what I need it to do and costs pennies.

Today since I had leftover mac and cheese I ground it up and used it for the filler in my meatloaf instead of oatmeal. Worked great, family raved.
Quite clever. I finally took all my stuffed animals, okay...most of my stuffed animals and put them in a vacuum bag...they take up about 4 inches deep of space and slide right under the bed.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I used flat twin sheets as drapes. They worked great and they were color coordinated to each room.
Cheaper, pretty and FINISHED EDGES. Even if you have to shorten them, you still have 3 finished edges. I love to do this.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
We are very limited on space so since dd didn't want to get rid of any of her many stuffed animals I bought a white garden latice made of plastic and had dh screw it to the wall above dd's window. Now all of her stuffed animals hang there on circles of elastic so that she can take them down whenever she wants. .
you hang stuffed animals?

no one else is to blame when she turns goth...

__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Cheaper, pretty and FINISHED EDGES. Even if you have to shorten them, you still have 3 finished edges. I love to do this.
Actually, I thought they looked more elegant pooled on the floor... In our bedroom, I added some lace panels to the sheets, they were on clearance for $3 a pair.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.