"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Is Necessity Your Mother of Invention?

today, my pharmacy was due to deliver meds. i wanted to take a nap. they will not leave insulin unless i leave out my little lunch box with the frozen block of blue stuff.

my freezer is stuffed and i could not find the block. needing my nap badly, i put a frozen roll of liverwurst in the box. it worked just fine and the delivery guy got a good laugh.

tell what you have done or still do that may be what people think is strange but works.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Very clever, Babe!

I would say that I'm cheap and that is the Mother of my Inventions. I figured out how to hang my cheap drapes without overspending on hardware. A piece of PVC 1/4 inch pipe and three hooks to fit cost me about $10, instead of the $45 for curtain rods.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Very clever, Babe!

I would say that I'm cheap and that is the Mother of my Inventions. I figured out how to hang my cheap drapes without overspending on hardware. A piece of PVC 1/4 inch pipe and three hooks to fit cost me about $10, instead of the $45 for curtain rods.
i did the same for a valance in my puter/sewing room. made the valance as well. no drape on the slider itself so i can see the outdoors.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Head Chef

I go to estate sales and buy up all of the cleaning products and plastic wrap/ bags etc for pennies. Last time I did this I came home with a huge box of stuff for about $12.00. Now some will say that I am cheap but many of those products I just can't afford to buy on a regular basis.

We are very limited on space so since dd didn't want to get rid of any of her many stuffed animals I bought a white garden latice made of plastic and had dh screw it to the wall above dd's window. Now all of her stuffed animals hang there on circles of elastic so that she can take them down whenever she wants. Looks adorable, does what I need it to do and costs pennies.

Today since I had leftover mac and cheese I ground it up and used it for the filler in my meatloaf instead of oatmeal. Worked great, family raved.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i did the same for a valance in my puter/sewing room. made the valance as well. no drape on the slider itself so i can see the outdoors.
I used flat twin sheets as drapes. They worked great and they were color coordinated to each room.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I used flat twin sheets as drapes. They worked great and they were color coordinated to each room.
very clever. i used cheap muslin. then sewed ball fringe on the bottom. the fringe cost more than the fabric or the rods, but it really looks custom made. aren't we clever.

i like the stuffed animal solution a lot, too.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I go to estate sales and buy up all of the cleaning products and plastic wrap/ bags etc for pennies. Last time I did this I came home with a huge box of stuff for about $12.00. Now some will say that I am cheap but many of those products I just can't afford to buy on a regular basis.

We are very limited on space so since dd didn't want to get rid of any of her many stuffed animals I bought a white garden latice made of plastic and had dh screw it to the wall above dd's window. Now all of her stuffed animals hang there on circles of elastic so that she can take them down whenever she wants. Looks adorable, does what I need it to do and costs pennies.

Today since I had leftover mac and cheese I ground it up and used it for the filler in my meatloaf instead of oatmeal. Worked great, family raved.
Quite clever. I finally took all my stuffed animals, okay...most of my stuffed animals and put them in a vacuum bag...they take up about 4 inches deep of space and slide right under the bed.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Cheaper, pretty and FINISHED EDGES. Even if you have to shorten them, you still have 3 finished edges. I love to do this.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
We are very limited on space so since dd didn't want to get rid of any of her many stuffed animals I bought a white garden latice made of plastic and had dh screw it to the wall above dd's window. Now all of her stuffed animals hang there on circles of elastic so that she can take them down whenever she wants. .
you hang stuffed animals?

no one else is to blame when she turns goth...

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Cheaper, pretty and FINISHED EDGES. Even if you have to shorten them, you still have 3 finished edges. I love to do this.
Actually, I thought they looked more elegant pooled on the floor... In our bedroom, I added some lace panels to the sheets, they were on clearance for $3 a pair.