"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Well I saw that some moon has water. Great. More wasted tax dollars. Couple billion to find water on a round rock in space. Some schools dont have enough money for an arts class. Some counties dont have enough money to help the sick and poor. But hey..... thats alright. Because we found water on a rock.

Old 03-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I find that news to be absolutley amazing. That means that there is a good chance there is other life than just what we know of on our planet. That is huge!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

A crashed UFO to ME is huge. Water on a rock in space is interesting. No offense GB. Tell NASA to call me when they found or done something that actually changes my life for the better besides visco-elastic foam.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

baby steps DS, baby steps. The life that we eventually find, if we ever do find life, will most likely not be the kind of life that travels in spaceships. Never the less it could help us understand a lot about ourselves which could have huge ramifications in everything from medicine to understanding the human brain to just about anything else.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Master Chef

I understand where you are comming from GB. Hey Im a geek. I love Star Trek and Doctor Who. Alas this discovery has cost 3.5 BILLION dollars. And it does no one any good. Tell the people who have an illness that 3.5 billion dollars went to find this water. Or the 1.3 billion people who dont have clean drinking water. Or the people that cant afford medicine.
I understand that this discovery is 'cool'. But it does humanity no good. To me its like setting 3.5 billion dollars on fire.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I respectfully disagree. You might not see the good this discovery has done, but more good has come out of the space program than we could possibly list here. Yes it is expensive, but there are so many valuable things that have come from it and will continue to come from it that it is just amazing.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Master Chef

I should explain myself better. NASA HAS done a lot of good. (I was joking about the visco-elastic foam message in the above post) Im saying that missions like the one we are talking about do no good. Satelites are great! The things that orbit our plant for humanities benefit. But sending these things to other planets besides our moon to ME are a total waste. Verging on criminal.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

You need to take these steps in order to make discoveries. You can't just expect to find stuff out by sitting in a boardroom talking about it. You need to get out there and look. I would not want to live in the world that we would have had we not gained all the knowledge that we already have from missions like this one. Lifespans would be shorter, disease and illnesses would be much greater, we wouldn't have all sorts of modern convieniences that we have now etc.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
Master Chef

Ok to be fair, what is going to be done with this new data?
How has ANY of these probes helped humanity?
I do not disagree its important to discover and search. But lets search for a purpose (ie: to find new medicine etc).
And lets explore our own earth 1st! Dont you think it is wiser to spend money exploring our oceans 1st??
What are we looking for out there that is more important than discovering what we have here? It just seems like a horrible strategy for discovering anything worth our time.
Lets discover a way to get us away from oil dependancy.
Lets discover a way to find something on earth that will cure or help people.
Lets find a way for the poor to afford medication.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

What makes you think that those things can be found on Earth and not in space. Why put all your eggs in one basket? Why not explore both? Look at how many things have come out of the space program. Medicine is what it is today because of the space program.

It is funny that you bring up exporing our oceans vs exporing outer space. I once had a very loud and interesting debate with a co-worker/friend that lasted about 4 hours on that very topic