"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
Senior Cook

For me it actually has been nearly impossible to get financing for the CIA. I make too much alone to get any substantial help and now that I am married and my husband is in law enforcement, you can forget it. We own two homes but we're just making it (thank god for renters). Basically everything is against me.

Also, Callisto my experience applying at the CIA has been much different than what you describe. There is definetely a test I must pass, and it's called the Compass. The only way out of it is if you've taken the SAT's in the last five years. They're asking for referalls and I need to have worked in a kitchen (on the books or volunteered) for a certain amount of time.

It isn't like a trade school at all. At least not the way that I've seen things so far.

Are you in the CIA now? Or have did you graduate a while back? How was it???

Old 04-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
CIA is a very common term for The Culinary Institute of America...VERY common. Now that that's out of the way I would like this thread to get back on topic. It may not look off topic because I have removed some unnecessary posts.

This thread has gotten a bit off topic. What started out to be a very enthusiastic thread about possibly a career in the private cooking field/area (which can take on different forms) to a thread that has gotten a bit in your face and heated.

Snack - I love your enthusiasm to want to get into that niche. I don't believe it's so cut and dry as to you having to have a culinary degree. I believe passion can be a real driving force. There are all sorts of cooking classes that can be had to broaden your repertoire. Enthusiasm and passion are first and foremost...I believe your half-way there!

CIA in Napa? I saw it as we were driving to Callistoga. My husband was going to set me up with some kind of class...unfortunately I had the flu . Made for a not so great time in wine country!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I wasnt aware that the Culinary Institute had a campus in Charolette. I thought they only had three locations? One in New York, California, and Texas. So I am really really confused.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlotte has a College of Culinary Arts at Johnson and Wales. I truly am sad they moved from Charleston, South Carolina to Charlotte! There is also a Community Culinary School of Charlotte

That's all I know of in Charlotte.

If you take me to the CIA in Napa with you I'll sharpen your knives for free

Old 04-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

With all due respect you definitely were corresponding with the Culinary Institute of Charlotte. It is, however, different than The Culinary Institute of America. It's not like universities where the name may be University of North Carolina, Charlotte...or University of North Carolina, Greensboro. Those are divisions of the state university system. The CIA has 3 locations only...Hyde Park, Napa, and San Antonio.

The Culinary Institute of America offers an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree. It is not a technical school nor community college. There is nothing wrong with EITHER of those options. I would LOVE to go to any of the culinary programs Charlotte has to offer. I would love to learn anything from anywhere!!!! It's just that this school is not associated with the CIA. It's doesn't make it a bad place...it's just not the CIA.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Well I guess I am attending a school that no one considers a culinary school.
No, you are just attending a school that is not the CIA. As you already mentioned, the school you are talking about goes by CI of A, but as everyone else has mentioned they are talking about the world famous CIA which only has locations in NY, TX, and CA. See their site here where they both say their 3 locations and also that they are knows as the CIA.

Now that we got that out of the way maybe we can once again get this thread back on topic?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Snack, even if you can't get into the CIA you can find other programs that will help you on your way. You have gotten a lot of wonderful advice here and I can feel the passion inside of you. Go for it girl, you can do this!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Back on topic please, seems to me Sp is trying to go a different direction in her life, she needs our help not a slap in the face that her choice of school is unimportant...The positive thing is school.What it's called is not.The Cia yes that is what we here in California call the school in Napa is a beautiful large grey stone building, as you drive by it almost calls to you..but the main thing is school...Learn and go forward...SP, seems to me if I were in your shoes I'd talk with luvs but espically with Chef June. Her post to you just might be your way to go.Listen to those who have your best interest at heart,anything else, take it for what it is,worries for you and listen well..You will find a way.
kadesma
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

I am currently in culinary school, but am probably not going to finish (for a variety of reasons). I am also looking at the APPCA, as I'd like to become a personal/private chef.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Wyogal - keep us informed of your career.

snack - I'm packed and ready to go to Napa - - -