Is this a controversial topic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Recipes Make Magic

Senior Cook
I know this topic is not in the category of politics or religion, but is it nonetheless somewhat controversial ?

Question:

Who would be your choice to qualify for being the best, longest-lasting male ROCK/SOFT ROCK singer of all time ?

My selection is NEIL DIAMOND, although I know many will disagree.

Who's your choice ?

Similarly, do you have a choice for the female in that category ?

As for me, I have no idea who that might be. All I know is: it isn't Barbra Streisand:LOL: She sure can sing - but it's far from rock.:ermm:

No, no controversy at all. As long as it's understood, that in my mind, these are the pips.

Best male singer-- Bruce Springsteen

Best guitarist -- Stevie Ray Vaughn and Neil Young

Best female singer -- Tina Turner and Stevie Nicks, and Aretha!!

The truth is who I listen to the most is Billie Holiday, she had a vocal range that may have approached 8 notes, but what she could do was magnificent. And Emmy Lou Harris, breathless. Obviously neither were/ are rock singers. It's
a chilly rainy day, so no BH and I think ELH will accompany dinner.

No, no controversy at all. As long as it's understood, that in my mind, these are the pips.

Best male singer-- Bruce Springsteen

Best guitarist -- Stevie Ray Vaughn and Neil Young

Best female singer -- Tina Turner and Stevie Nicks, and Aretha!!

The truth is who I listen to the most is Billie Holiday, she had a vocal range that may have approached 8 notes, but what she could do was magnificent. And Emmy Lou Harris, breathless. Obviously neither were/ are rock singers. It's
a chilly rainy day, so no BH and I think ELH will accompany dinner.

I'd heard others select Bruce Springsteen in this category too.

No criticism intended at all, but I didn't think Aretha fell into the rock/soft rock category, does she ? Maybe she does - I don't recall the songs she's famous for.

Last edited:
A long-time friend of mine, who's first husband was in the entertainment business, swore that the best male singer is Steve Perry from Journey. Can't say that I would argue the point with her. Now, would Journey qualify as soft rock? I guess...

Irrelevant of music style, I think the best male pipes belong to Michael W. Smith, who falls into the pop/churchy pop/folksyish category. He sang "Friends" at George HW Bush's funeral. Rocking out harder, I like to listen to Amy Lee's voice; she sings with "Evanescense". Perfect Halloween music - the band is a bit goth. :cool:

A long-time friend of mine, who's first husband was in the entertainment business, swore that the best male singer is Steve Perry from Journey. Can't say that I would argue the point with her. Now, would Journey qualify as soft rock? I guess...

Well, shoot, I was sure of my answer till I saw this [emoji38] I have always loved Journey and Steve Perry. And they most definitely became a rock & roll band after Steve joined the group.

https://www.classicrockhistory.com/top-10-journey-songs/

https://youtu.be/uJo7OA9zKBg

The other contender, in my mind, is the inimitable Freddie Mercury of Queen.

https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ

And for a woman, Stevie Nicks, both during and after Fleetwood Mac.

https://youtu.be/iLEMiDrdSKU

Last edited:
Keep in mind this portion of my description of the category: the words, - "longest-lasting".

Example: My choice of Neil Diamond was because he's given us close to 40 years of continuous widespread popularity of his singing and his songs, whereas Elvis' tenure was around 20 years as a comparison.

But of course 'years' are not by any means the most important criterion.

I'd heard others select Bruce Springsteen in this category too.

No criticism intended at all, but I didn't think Aretha fell into the rock/soft rock category, does she ? Maybe she does - I don't recall the songs she's famous for.
Aretha was a crossover artist - her music included several genres, sometimes more than one in one song ;)

Keep in mind this portion of my description of the category: the words, - "longest-lasting".

Example: My choice of Neil Diamond was because he's given us close to 40 years of continuous widespread popularity of his singing and his songs, whereas Elvis' tenure was around 20 years as a comparison.

But of course 'years' are not by any means the most important criterion.
I took longest lasting as meaning how long the music has been enjoyed by successive generations, not how long they've been singing. I'm not sure having the good luck to stay healthy makes someone a great all-time artist. Who knows what Freddie Mercury might have achieved had he not died so young. But he was a gifted singer with tremendous range (I can't really say that about Neil Diamond), a talented songwriter and an imaginative showman.

I was surprised to find that my cousin's daughters knew Queen songs when they were in their early teens 10 or so years ago. And the TV show Glee brought classic rock to a whole new audience.

Last edited:
I do believe we're on the same page, GG, regarding the meaning of 'long-lasting'

My saying that 'Diamond gave us 40 years of continuous popularity...'
was meant in the same vein as your saying...'how long the music has been enjoyed by successive generations...'

...No criticism intended at all, but I didn't think Aretha fell into the rock/soft rock category, does she ? Maybe she does -....

I think Aretha puts the Roll in Rock 'n Roll and shakes things up. Her music is often played on rock stations. Perhaps though, her music is best thought of as soul or R&B. I dislike categorizing people and even music genres.

I will offer another choice that may be more in keeping with this thread's intent--- Linda Ronstadt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom