"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the bananas i use for my banana-flax-honey-whole wheat bread are practically all brown when i peel them to toss into the breadmaker.

i've always found it interesting that to this day there are still stories of people unpacking crates of green bananas that are imported to northern countries, and large tropical spiders and other huge bugs crawling out of them.

One of my earliest childhood memories is my Daddy opening up a box of bananas for the grocery store, and big tarantulas crawling out!
Could be the reason I hate both bananas and spiders!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
Wine Guy

A banana can be completely brown and still okay to eat. In fact, I've made plenty of banana bread from fruit matching that description. What I would look for is mold on the skin, or other visible signs of spoilage.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I smelled the banana and it was okay. Surprisingly, it was very clean inside and I ate it cautiously.

So, the banana was okay! Thanks all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130122_113555.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	16900
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I make instant icecream with bananas much blacker than that. Just cut into slices about inch thick, put in single layer in the freezer, when solid put into blender or processor and blitz (makes a really clunking noise!) add some real custard, and it is ready to eat. Tastes lovely too.

Here's a recipe from the same chef but this one uses buttermilk, sugar, etc.
Banana ice cream: Recipes: Good Food Channel
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I would say the best thing to do is to open it up and look at the actual fruit and be sure to smell what it smells like. Also make sure that there isn't any film or slime on the actual banana. I know that sounds really gross but some fruit just has a problem even if you buy it green. If there was a drastic temerature difference when shipping or if it froze slightly it could all change the fruit. hope this helps
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofcooking View Post
So, I bought it at Walmart 6 days ago. It was the greenest banana I could find there.
However, it is looking very strange to me and is still quite green, but very dirty looking. This is very different from most bananas I buy (the greenest I could find at Lucky became yellow in 1 day!).

Is it safe to eat? It actually looks good in my picture... but the 6 days thing bothers me.

I have to say that I am puzzled by this entire thread. Do most of you eat your bananas when they're still green or yellow, before they develop brown spots like in the picture?

I cannot stand bananas until all of the green coloring is gone and there are brown spots all over the skin/peel (whatever you call it). That process probably takes around 10 days (give or take) from the day I buy them. In fact, by the time I consider bananas edible, they're almost rotten (a couple days away). Buying bananas is actually a huge problem for me because of spoilage. I can only buy a few bananas in a bunch because if I buy more than five in a bunch, they actually do become rotten before I get a chance to eat them all (assuming I eat only one per day).

The picture of that banana is hard to see (at least on my computer), but I see nothing wrong with the banana at all. To me, I'd consider that not quite edible, yet.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I smelled the banana and it was okay. Surprisingly, it was very clean inside and I ate it cautiously.

Attachment 16900
Great to hear
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
I have to say that I am puzzled by this entire thread. Do most of you eat your bananas when they're still green or yellow, before they develop brown spots like in the picture?

I cannot stand bananas until all of the green coloring is gone and there are brown spots all over the skin/peel (whatever you call it). That process probably takes around 10 days (give or take) from the day I buy them. In fact, by the time I consider bananas edible, they're almost rotten (a couple days away). Buying bananas is actually a huge problem for me because of spoilage. I can only buy a few bananas in a bunch because if I buy more than five in a bunch, they actually do become rotten before I get a chance to eat them all (assuming I eat only one per day).

The picture of that banana is hard to see (at least on my computer), but I see nothing wrong with the banana at all. To me, I'd consider that not quite edible, yet.
I have the same problem, I don't eat them until really ripe, that is why I was so pleased to find the recipe for the icecream. Saves me throwing them away. I put some in the freezer last night because they had gone black, looking forward now the the icecream
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I eat green bananas and Shrek eats ripe...no problems
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:

Attachment 16900
For future reference. Bananas that look like the one on your pic are fine to eat. Most bananas I've bought in the past few months looked like that. The store owner says it's when they refrigerate them during shipping that it causes a weird colour change. My kids eat them all the time and they've never gotten sick.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banana