Is this even edible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are people who eat it and there are TONS of recipes for it, but personally I find it revolting.

you cant be serious!!!????:sick::sick::sick::sick: um...I cant comment now or never cause that has NEVER crossed my mind that ANYONE would EVER do that......excuse me now while I visit the powder room.....:sick::sick::sick::sick:

He said that he did this as a joke because everyone has been talking about him so much about being strange. We'll see which line is true, eat it or a joke.

That's pretty weird, but many other mammals do it. I was just reading about a case in Hawai'i where this couple's doctor refused to release the placenta after their daughter was born. And all they wanted to do with it was plant it next to a tree! Seems like these superstars have no trouble get their placentas.

Anau said:
That's pretty weird, but many other mammals do it. I was just reading about a case in Hawai'i where this couple's doctor refused to release the placenta after their daughter was born. And all they wanted to do with it was plant it next to a tree! Seems like these superstars have no trouble get their placentas.
I lived on a farm and know this for a fact, about the animal birth mothers, but what is his, TC, reasoning? What is it that they are saving for future use, medically? Has something to do with the cord. If he eats it how can they save it?

Cord blood can be saved, it is not routine in most places. One can have the cord blood saved and the stem cells frozen.

There are two ways to do it as I understand. One is donate the cells to a general bank, who can then give them to anyone who needs them. They are not held in reserve for the specific donor.

The other is to have the blood reserved for the individial child, which incurs a cost. But no one else is supposed to get those cells.

Cord blood is taken by most, if not all states, and sent to the state to examine it for certain congenital diseases. But preserving the stem cells is not the norm.

Most mammals eat the placenta as it gives them a nutritional kick start of much needed protien, iron, and other nutrients that will help them quickly return to full strength, and that will also help them with extra nutrition for producing enough milk for the youngens.

That being said, even though I'm a pretty adventurous guy when it comes to food, I couldn't do that one. It's beyond even me (and I've tried erthworms, and they were disgusting!)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks Goodweed for the above explanation of a possible explanation of why some mammals eat the placenta. The only explanation I had heard was if left to rot, the odor would be a radar for predators that a new born was a potential lunch. If I see the afterbirth of my goats, I have a tendency to remove it so she can not eat it and I never knew if I was doing the correct thing. I mean, they will chomp it down like it was nothing but it does take them a while to eat it all, it is quite large. I just can't stand to watch them eat it. So you may ask why I watch. You need to, to make sure the birthing process has gone smoothly and is over. More than once I have been asked by a vet, what did the after birth look like?

Back
Top Bottom