Is this sanitary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnfromberkeey

Assistant Cook
I just found out my wife has been washing/scrubbing her feet in one of our large plastic food bowls, and then washing it by hand, and then using it again for food. :mad:

Is this sanitary? I say it's not. She disagrees.

Who's right?

I personally would at the very least pour a lot of boiling water into the bowl. I mean what if she has a fungus? Probably not but I wouldn't chance it. And how would guests feel if they knew they were eating behind her foot bath? Won't your family feel the same way? Go to a restraunt supply store and get her a bussing tub. They are around $10.00 and that should a stop any arguements.

Umm well, it depends on how well she washes it I guess, bleach would make me feel better. I used to let my dogs lick the plates before I put them in the dishwasher, but the dishwasher does a good job of sanitizing.

It would gross me out. Buy her a plastic tub for her feet. and keep a spray bottle of diluted bleach for sanitation purposes.

When I was married to my first husband I used a big heavy pot that he had already owned, to make stew, chili, soup, etc. It wasn't until we had been married about a year that I found out that he also used it to soak his feet, and he used it if he was sick to his stomach (no need to explain further, I hope!). I never cooked with that pot again. :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

When I was a kid my Dad would always have a crisp, white hanky in his pocket, washing machines and powder was not very effective, she would boil them. They went on hols and my Gran came to stay, you can fill the rest in.

oh, c'mon people. it sounds a bit gross because your mind thinks of a worst case, but so long as she hand washes it well afterwards it's safe.

it wasn't all that long ago that most people didn't have dozens of pots and pans, so they had multiple uses and were well washed/well cared for.

and we're still here.

Umm well, it depends on how well she washes it I guess, bleach would make me feel better. I used to let my dogs lick the plates before I put them in the dishwasher, but the dishwasher does a good job of sanitizing.

That's what I figure too.

are the people who cringed at this thread here sure that they've ever had sex? i mean, you do disgusting things with horrible parts of your body, you know...

you'd probably get sick from it and be in the hospital for weeks if you did, so you really should refrain from being in contact with other people.

:D

Yikes! Some real horror stories here!!
I think it's always best to keep kitchen utensils and personal hygiene utensils separate for the sake of enjoying my food!

lol, well that's kinda my point. you do wash up occasionally, so hopefully that's good enough.

are the people who cringed at this thread here sure that they've ever had sex? i mean, you do disgusting things with horrible parts of your body, you know...

you'd probably get sick from it and be in the hospital for weeks if you did, so you really should refrain from being in contact with other people.

:D

I agree! I get violently ill every time I have sex. I'm gonna quit real soon.

I don't use much plastic in cooking, because I never feel that I can get it totally clean, so I would not care for this practice. A glass container, or stainless--no problem.

I had a friend who had a mouse in her apartment--she set a trap, caught it, used her kitchen tongs to pick up trap, mouse and all, and threw the trap AND the tongs away. :ermm: Silly.

Back
Top Bottom