Is your dinner ever put on the back burner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I find that so often, I have complete intentions [and all the ingredients] to start a dinner, then, inevitably, something goes awry.
Example is last night and it's 4 in the morning right now by the way, I can't sleep, too much on the brain.
My husband bought me a new car, brought it home Sunday night. He also bought himself one, brought it home last week. DS#1 came over yesterday, while riblets were in frig marrying. Wanted to test drive my car, so he and I did just that. His dad called and said, "On my way home son, you can drive my car when I get there." He came home and all 3 of us went for a ride. Son had to get back to work so he left and DH asked me if I wanted to drive his new car. So, I said sure, and he said, "Oh let's go out to dinner and swing by Sears and order the washer and dryer." Our washer died Sunday while I was doing laundry. I drove his car, we went to Mexican for dinner, and came home as Sears was then closed. My entire dinner menu is tonight, from yesterdays thread.
Do any of you ever have plans set in stone to make dinner and then something happens to muddle it all up?

LOL !! I have 3 little kids!
I'd be more suprised if my dinners STAYED on the front burner!!! :)

It happens to us too. Last night, for instance, our son-in-law came over and we drank beer until almost 9:00 PM. We ended up eating pigs in blankets instead of the healthy chef salad I had planned.

not very often. but sometimes it is: we can have this , that, the other, or go out...

since I hate to waste food (or anything actually) I make dang sure if we do out, it is something I can keep for a day or so safely.

:chef:Sure! sounds like you had a nice interruption-a new car...I hate when a 'bad' interruption happens

Yes - it happens all the time!!!!!!!!!!! Like one evening I ended up eating pralines for dinner instead of what I had planned :-p

Happens a lot to me, too. Sometimes I don't have the energy I thought I'd have, or the ingredients I thought I had, or DH wants to go for a walk or bike ride and there isn't enough time to do what I'd planned. Happens regularly ;)

:) Happens all the with me to. I,m either to tired or to lazy or something comes up. Since it's just two of us I like like to make alot of meals an hour or two ahead of time then we just reheat when we feel like eating.

I will put everything aside when my husband says "we're eating out tonight". I don't mind putting dinner on the back burner for that. Although when my daughter has dance class and we have to rush out of here at 6:45 p.m., dinner is on the back burner until I return. Argh! Dance nights are late night dinners for us.

It happens here occasionally. If I have planned a meal that can be made earlier in the day and held in the refrigerator then, yes, that's kind of a "back burner" kind of situation.

Other times, especially on our "date day," we're still full from our meal out. Most of those dinners are not just put on the back burner, we just don't eat them.

Then, there are those days when by the time it's time to prepare or eat dinner, we just simply aren't in the mood for much. That's when we pull out our Whirly-Popper and feast on popcorn.

It happened to me just yesterday. Someone asked me to watch their 4 year old right around dinner-prep time. I still could have pulled it off but the exchange student decided it was the day to cook his tripe and monopolized the whole kitchen and all the dishes I needed (and contaminated them--still trying to teach him how to deal with raw meat:rolleyes:).

May be a little unusual around here or it's me. Many times, I've had dinner all ready, steaming hot and ready to dish up, and worked hard on it too. Hubby comes home and says, "I thought I'd take you out to dinner. What'd'ya say?" I say, "Yeah, let's go." I just package dinner up in zipper bags and/or tupperware and eat it the next night, he never does figure it out either.

Last nights dinner would have been ready in an hour start to finish, even with all it entailed cause no one thing was very time consuming. I rather wanted to visit with our son though, so thought when he went back to work, I'd get all done, it was still early, but then time got away and the man came home....

May be a little unusual around here or it's me. Many times, I've had dinner all ready, steaming hot and ready to dish up, and worked hard on it too. Hubby comes home and says, "I thought I'd take you out to dinner. What'd'ya say?" I say, "Yeah, let's go." I just package dinner up in zipper bags and/or tupperware and eat it the next night, he never does figure it out either.

Last nights dinner would have been ready in an hour start to finish, even with all it entailed cause no one thing was very time consuming. I rather wanted to visit with our son though, so thought when he went back to work, I'd get all done, it was still early, but then time got away and the man came home....
:ROFLMAO: Your nicer than me I guess, if I had dinner ready to serve, I'd say lets go another time - dinners all ready !

Hey, Lefslover, congratulations on your new cars (and appliances)!

What did you and your husband each get for cars? Did you pick out yours yourself?

Lee

It happens here once in awhile, but it's never happened because of test driving new cars! Ah, I'd love that. Congratulations!!!!

I don't mind changing dinner plans at all though, so it doesn't bug me to put stuff back in the fridge or finish cooking it and putting it away for left-overs. If we go out to eat or something that changes regular dinner plans at home, it means a change of pace... which is a good thing! :)

Hey, Lefslover, congratulations on your new cars (and appliances)!What did you and your husband each get for cars? Did you pick out yours yourself?Lee

I got this, mines Black Mist and black leather inside too. Got a special edition and took it off the showroom floor. First year they made this car, so it's pretty special, or so everyone's telling me. I like it, it's pretty and sCARY fast.
My doll got this and his is that british racing orange color same as his Super Bee in color, this is his Dodge Super Bee. very fast also and very pretty. selling my car to pay for this new one. Anyone need a car? hint hint:LOL::LOL:
Thanks for the niceties, very kind. My washer and dryer are the standard Sears middle of the road ones. Matching set. Our ds#2 has the new version ones , you know the art deco looking ones and he isn't thrilled so I settled on tried and true in basic white, I know, how boring.........

Dinner last night was very good, glad I put it to marinate as long as I did, very tender meat and the cobb, not bad either....except on my waist:huh:

Oh LEFSE - I guess your doll knows that cops love that color! :LOL:
yea, but even if we're caught, we think we can outrun 'em:LOL:
oh yea,two colors that we gravitate to are orange and red.
you can see either of us comin from miles away:LOL:
good thing my new one is misty black, hopefully, I'll fade away at night:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom