"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Katie, we've had really good luck finding deals online at newegg We often find they are cheaper than the big box stores or retail places. Excellent customer service too. If you like Dell, go ahead and check with the company on what will work for you. Write down all the specs then check out new egg's price before buying.

Another thing, I prefer a mouse over a touch pad so I bought a wireless mouse that plugs into my laptop and I use it all the time. You can also get wireless keyboards so Glenn can sit farther away and have a full keyboard where he sits. Good luck finding something.
Thanks, jabbur. I did go to newegg.com and searched for the computer that seemed to be a fit for us. Their price, even with free shipping, was more than Dell quoted me.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with the Dell rep who was very patient and did a wonderful job explaining the systems to me. I placed my order and it should be here in a few days.

Yeah! Now I can check another thing off my list.

And, BTW, bakechef...the Dell rep recommended the computer you'd suggested. You were right on target. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You are welcome!

I love helping people with this stuff. You don't know how much I enjoy hearing that. My mom always calls me for advise, I search out what she needs, send her a link and then she goes to Best Buy and spends way too much on way more than she needs!

I think that maybe she's finally seeing the light, she let me walk her through buying a new tablet this week,

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I know I am late to this discussion, but I just wanted the OP to know her husband can use the laptop with the left over keyboard and mouse.

My wife has a very nice Dell laptop. I use a wireless mouse when I am on her PC. Makes it so much easier.

I use a desktop, also dell. Should this desktop ever quit, I will take my wifes laptop and get her a Netbook. She has way more computer then she needs or will ever use.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
Wine Guy

I guess I'm late to the discussion as well.

I have nine computers and two tablets at home (long story). All are Dell. I've been very happy with them.

I'm like Glen I guess, in that I hate tiny keyboards, too. My personal laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17R. The keyboard is as close to a regular keyboard as you can get, and even includes a numeric keypad. Yes it's big, but I absolutely love it. And yes, you can plug a wireless mouse into it as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Steve. My wife also has the 17" laptop. Full keyboard. It is the touch pad that I hate. It is very sensitive for me. She is used to it, so I will not adjust the sensitivity.
I bought her the wireless mouse when I got her the pc.

I also like Dell products as they seem well made. My friend bought an HP desktop at the same time I bought my Dell desktop "Dimension".
His is so crappy made. Mine is a Cadillac compared to his.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon I am late to this discussion as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
In fact, he hasn't been on a computer since the desktop crapped out.
I am wondering what is wrong with your desktop.
Might be worth looking into a repair estimate. There might even be someone at your local community college (if there is one nearby) that would be willing to take a look at it.
Just a suggestion, mind you.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote