"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Advice for new cat owner

Next weekend we'll be traveling for my nephew's wedding. Normally when we go away, either my oldest son or our friends in the neighborhood take care of the cat and dog. This time our son is coming too and our friends will be gone the same weekend. We're trying to decide what to do. We can take the animals to my dad's but the last time the cat was there, she hid under the bed the whole time. I'm concerned about her staying there for 5 days. We can board them both at the vets but would like to keep expenses down since the hotel is so expensive. Any advice on how to best take care of the cat? She's 8 months old.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dogs need daily care, cats, not so much. Is there someone else in your neighborhood who can look in on kitty every couple of days or so? I think it's more traumatic to relocate a cat than a dog. If you leave out enough dry food and water, she should be OK. The litter box may be a big surprise when you get back,may want to set out an extra.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Everymom

Any teens you trust to come look after the furries? Its summer job time, they might be excited to help out.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Head Chef

Can your dad come in and check on/feed the cat for you in your house, and keep the dog at his house? Kitty might be happier.

Five days is kind of a long time to leave a young cat all on its own--if I was doing it, I would confine the kitty in a bathroom or other safe spot--no electric wires to chew, no curtains to shred--with a couple of litter boxes, and plenty of food and water.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Not a cat person, but I harbored a cat (~12 mo) for a couple of weeks at the house in the City. She was confined to an empty room (which I had because I hadn't moved stuff in yet) with 2 litter boxes, a feeder, and a waterer. I went and checked on her every 2-3 days. She liked to use one litter box for peeing, the other for poo. I probably should have left 3 or 4 litter boxes. Also leave some safe toys to give the cat some environmental enrichment activities and have s/one check on the cat every couple of days.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

My son's friend whose parents live in the neighborhood has offered to do it for us. He's a responsible 24 yr old young man who has spent time here before and is familiar with the animals. I feel so much better. I wasn't wanting to board them not just for the expense but for the comfort level of the animals. They are very pampered! The dog has the run of the back yard with the doggie door and kitty certainly has adjustment issues when she's not at home. Even trips to the vet are traumatic for her and she becomes more aggressive with hissing. Thanks for the advice though. I'll not feel bad if we have to leave her for a day or two in the future.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Even better, Jabbur! So both dog and cat will stay home? Perfect!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Not a cat person, but I harbored a cat (~12 mo) for a couple of weeks at the house in the City. She was confined to an empty room (which I had because I hadn't moved stuff in yet) with 2 litter boxes, a feeder, and a waterer. I went and checked on her every 2-3 days. She liked to use one litter box for peeing, the other for poo. I probably should have left 3 or 4 litter boxes. Also leave some safe toys to give the cat some environmental enrichment activities and have s/one check on the cat every couple of days.
i don't know why i found some of your post funny, but wouldn't 2 litter boxes be enough? what could they use another one for? i guess if you left little trucks and backhoes in one, they could use it for a play sand box, and if you put the other one in a sunny spot with a little beach chair, some towels, and a good book...

and you harboured a cat? did it have a little ship and white bell bottom pants?

lol sorry, it just seemed funny to me.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom

i don't know why i found some of your post funny, but wouldn't 2 litter boxes be enough? what could they use another one for? i guess if you left little trucks and backhoes in one, they could use it for a play sand box, and if you put the other one in a sunny spot with a little beach chair, some towels, and a good book...

Oh no. Gotta do it. Hear me sing:

"Bell bottom trousers, coat of navy blue, he can climb the rigging like his daddy used to do.". Etc.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

If a litter box is filled up too much, a cat's perspective not yours, they will go other places. The most inappropriate place you would want them to go, that is what they will use. Best to have plenty of litter boxes if you are going to be gone several days.