"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Sorry to be useless, but at first I thought this said "advice on laying hens." My first thoughts were:

1. It helps if you're a chicken.
2. Call me crazy, but I think they come out as eggs, not as hens immediately.

I'm glad most people aren't as dim-witted as I am at the moment, so you've managed to get some real advice! I think it's time for bed!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

You're good. I should have phrased that differently! Can you tell I know nothing about laying hens?

Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Sorry to be useless, but at first I thought this said "advice on laying hens." My first thoughts were:

1. It helps if you're a chicken.
2. Call me crazy, but I think they come out as eggs, not as hens immediately.

I'm glad most people aren't as dim-witted as I am at the moment, so you've managed to get some real advice! I think it's time for bed!

Smart aleck!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You're good. I should have phrased that differently! Can you tell I know nothing about laying hens?
Nah, i just missed the key word: "raising."

and yes, PF, "Smart Alec" is one of the nicer labels I've been given.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

We had a busy day yesterday. We drove east 1 hour to pick up 4 2-month old barred Plymouth Rock pullets, and I caved. I had to have a rooster. I wasn't going to get a rooster but I fell in love with how handsome the Barred Plymouth Rock rooster is. Another reason for me to get additional cards for my camera--I need to take pictures of them. They've settled in very nicely. It is too cold and wet to put them outside in their "chicken run" (a 4 ft. x 12 ft. run that has a top and a bottom, as well as "roosting boards" and I guess what you'd call a coop. I won't be leaving them out at night, they can go in the barn. Which is where they are now. Each has it's own personality. They are quite fun to watch. And, they are very people friendly, which the breed is known to be.

After bringing the livestock home, we turned around and headed south-west for an hour to pick up the new rototiller in New York. The same model was 50% more here in Canada, so we paid the HST (which would've been less than the HST would've been if we'd bought it here). All in all, we saved about $250 getting the rototiller in the States. It is so much quieter than the other two we have (one of which breaks down more than it runs...the other is too light weight to do all the rototilling we do). So, all in all, it was a busy day at the farm...and a lot of time in the truck.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #26
Head Chef

Oh, you will have such good breakfasts. And lunches and dinners, too.

Fried rice and egg drop soup are so good when you have real eggs to go in them.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I can hardly wait until they start laying eggs...right now, they are just fun to watch! My DH is back in the city for the week. He'll probably be surprised by how much they will have grown during the week.

They are really attractive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Rock_(chicken)

Although, the how to raise chickens book I have has a picture of a PURPLE chicken--but there's no caption identifying the breed! Being that I love purple, I'd like purple chickens!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #28
Head Chef

When that first egg shows up, you will be so proud, you will crow just like you laid it yourself!!

The first ones will probably be small, even teeny, and some may not have a yolk. When I get a teeny one, I leave it on the windowsill to dry out. Don't worry, they won't go rotten or explode, the water content will gradually evaporate. I use the little ones in decorative nests or pile them in a bowl.

Some of the girls may start out with big eggs, or double yolkers. Takes them a while to get regulated, I guess. You will also be surprised, as time goes on, to see very oddly shaped eggs ocasionally--long and pointed, wrinkled, or with little bumps and knobs of calcium.

Commercial producers pull all those oddly shaped eggs and send them to bakeries.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm picking up two Rhode Island Reds that are 27 weeks old on the weekend. They are already laying, but I anticipate that they won't lay for a few weeks once they get here. Figured if I wanted to add to the "flock" I should do so sooner than later. The chicken coop and chicken yard is big enough to have up to 10. I don't know that I could handle that many eggs.

Have you ever frozen dggs from your hens in the shell? I read you can do that and use them for baking...friends say they want eggs, but I doubt they will come to the farm to get them. I am not about to start delivering eggs...

Ironically, the first house my DH and I rented when we were first married was known as "the eggman's place." I guess we've come full circle 23 years later.

Any suggestions on introducing the Rhode Island Reds to the barred Rock Plymouths?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #30
Head Chef

I saw something in my Internest travels about preserving eggs using salt, you might want to Google it.

My friend that has the hens sells eggs and people do come to her to pick-up so don't rule that out. There are people that want freshly-laid eggs that badly.

Tags
chicken raising