ISO advice on raising laying hens...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of mine died this morning. Oh well.
That'll teach me to not cull her from the flock at first sign of distress.

Wait until you get your first soft egg... it will freak you out. Very weird. It looks perfect sitting in the nestbox, but it's like handling a water balloon when you pick it up.

Oh, I want to see her pick that one up!:LOL:

I'm new to chickens--but I have to say, the Rhode Island Red hens are so entertaining. We were out digging a spot to put down a concrete base for a "walk in chicken coop" (that would be walk in for humans). Oh my gosh, were the two girls interested in what we were doing. The big cutworm--that probably rivaled a snake as far as they were concerned.

They were in their enclosure, but every time we dug up some earth worms, we offered the worms to them. OMG, do they love earthworms.

There is definitely a dominate girl. When we put them in the barn for the night, I was wearing my dog clogs: Birki's Woodby Dog Blue

The dominant hen was chasing me around the barn and pecking at the "dog" on the right clog. I was busy trying to get water and feed for the barred Plymouth Rock chicks--she was chasing me. She was hilarious. She was also the one that did a piroette when a butterfly flew over her head. They are so funny. When I go out to see them, they come "running" to me. I didn't know chickens moved that fast. My dog clogs are beat up--I'm ordering another pair for "dress up" when I go to MN--and fighting the urge to get the panda ones and the hippo ones...if they had chicken ones, I'd get those. But, for the entertainment factor, I might just start wearing the old dog clogs out to the barn (once I have a "dress up" pair). When I wear my crocs out there that have holes in them, they peck at those, but nothing like the one was chasing me around re: the dog clogs.

I don't plan on eating these two RIRs any time soon. They are too funny. And way too friendly. I'll take the eggs and I haven't told them I ate chicken last night...

Last edited:
Which are you getting? I'm using my "tutoring on line" money to buy more...I think I have enough bucks in my account to get the pandas, the hippos, and another pair of the dogs...too bad they don't have chickens. I'm having mine shipped to MN...or CT when I go down in September...I just have to control myself...I already have 14 pairs of Birkies....

I'm thinking the cats and hipppos...they should be fun at work. Oh, I can't wear them to work, they are heel-less...I'll go visiting off the clock!

Whenever I wear my doggies, they are conversation starters. And FUN. But I will definitely "coat" the next pair with varnish (or something) because they scuff.

Whenever I wear my doggies, they are conversation starters. And FUN. But I will definitely "coat" the next pair with varnish (or something) because they scuff.

The fun part. So many of my patients miss the fun in life...I like to bring it in when I can.

The fun part. So many of my patients miss the fun in life...I like to bring it in when I can.
A friend who is a physiotherapist and animal rehab therapist has the dogs, the cats, and the horses. She wears them to work all the time--but when she is wearing her animal rehab hat, she always wears the pair that represent which species has the most appointments that day. At the vet clinic where she does her rehab work, the female vets have all bought either the dog or cat clogs!

A friend who is a physiotherapist and animal rehab therapist has the dogs, the cats, and the horses. She wears them to work all the time--but when she is wearing her animal rehab hat, she always wears the pair that represent which species has the most appointments that day. At the vet clinic where she does her rehab work, the female vets have all bought either the dog or cat clogs!

Cute! I have a Slinky Dog, I take him to work and drag him behind me, cracks them up!:LOL:

Okay, those of you who have more experience (and knowledge) about chickens, one of my Rhode Island Reds lays 2 eggs each morning. She lays the first one around 7 a.m. and the next one around 11:00 a.m. When I bought the hens, the guy said he had one, didn't know which, that was a double yolker. I haven't heard back from him if he still has that hen. Could it be that she was the double-yolker and is now laying 2 eggs / day? I'm not complaining, 3 eggs from two hens isn't such a hard thing to take--especially since the 2 I collect at 7 a.m. are still WARM. (How much fresher can you get?). Everything I've read says they can lay 2 eggs in 24 hours, but that this shortens the time that they will lay eggs over their lifetimes. Anyone know why this hen is laying 2 eggs in such a short period of time? Or is she just "Fertile Myrtle"? Or, is it because she's only ~30 weeks and hasn't regulated yet? These are nice sized eggs, btw. And tasty <g>.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom