"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO: ASVAB study guide

Anyone know where to go and learn geometry/algebra stuff? DS took the ASVAB test and scored a 37
The recruiter told him, not a big deal, but, it is a VERY big deal to DS. He wants out of here. He is completely stoked and ready to go, but, he is NOT a big math person at all!!
ThI can help him with the positives and negatives, but, as for all that other crazy stuff, (7-) -3 x12 =
that kind of stuff. He is in such a severe depression over things and this was the only thing I saw him smile about and get all excited, until they left. He cried in fustration. Anyone with someone in the military that can help or whatever. He's already gone to military.com and march2success.com, those have tests, not study guides. tests are good except when you don't know how to work the problems to begin with. The other one is studyguidezone.com/asvabtest.htm, but, shows to have been moved or deleted and no path to new site.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Check your PMs in a few minutes.

Barbara

Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Check your PMs in a few minutes.

Barbara
Thank you!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

Wow, guess not.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I know that our local Barns and Noble book store has books on getting ready for the test.

Maybe, you could check there??
Old 05-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Anyone know where to go and learn geometry/algebra stuff? DS took the ASVAB test and scored a 37
The recruiter told him, not a big deal, but, it is a VERY big deal to DS. He wants out of here. He is completely stoked and ready to go, but, he is NOT a big math person at all!!
Hi, Stacy. I don't know how much time he has, but if there is a community college near you, they should have such a class available at a relatively low cost. If that's not possible, they will have a textbook in the bookstore - maybe he can work through that on his own. HTH.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I didn't notice the part about the military the first time I read it. Do they have a different focus on what is covered? I will look around and see what I can find.

Barbara
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I found an ASVAB study guide here: All matching items for sale.. You should also be able to find it at Amazon or maybe even Half.com.

Barbara
P.S. Here is the info if you want to look it up at Amazon, etc.:
Mcgraw-hill's AsvabItem Specifics - Textbooks, EducationAuthor: Janet E. Wall

Format: Paperback

Publisher: McGraw-Hill

Educational Level: ASVAB Study Guide

ISBN-10: 0071453377

Publication Year: 2005

ISBN-13: 9780071453370

Condition: Used

Product Type: Workbook, Study Guide

Category: Test Prep, Study Aid
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Stacy, you might want to get a good SAT study guide. They have them in any large bookstore. The cool thing is most of them have a DVD that has practice tests. When you take it, it analyzes the questions you got wrong and then tells you exactly what to study. The book (which is pretty big) covers algebra and geometry and basic trig. I've found it to be a pretty good cram aide, which is what your son needs. If he is motivated and can study independently, this might be the way to go. Especially since there are usually 5-10 practice tests on the disc so he can chart his own progress. These study guides are about $20-$25. HTH
Old 05-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I searched at Amazon, using the ISBN-13 number and found this: Amazon.com: McGraw-Hill's ASVAB (Mcgraw Hill's Asvab): Dr. Janet E. Wall: Books

Barbara