ISO baby names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
My husband and I are having trouble coming up with baby names. We don't seem to have one we can agree on and the names we do agree on are just okay, nothing special. We would like something original but not too out there. Here are the names we've come up with so far.

Boys
Gray
Rowan
Skye
Liam
Theron

Girls
Avery
Marisol
Aria
Aurelia
Cheyanne (IMO, yuck)

I'd appreciate any ideas you all have. We still have over 2 months but we are getting short on ideas. Thanks all!

My neighbor's little boy's name is Liam, and he's so adorable (age 7). Their little girl's name is Ryan, which I know most people associate with boys, but it works. She's adorable too (age 9).
I like strong, old fashioned names, that, hopefully are not too trendy. Good luck. This can be hard work!

It would be easier to suggest if I knew more about the LAST name the first would be going with... maybe you could PM me or give us some idea about the last name...

Like, maybe it's a three-syllable Spanish-sounding name that starts with R (or something).

I'm certainly not up on the current "trendy" names or what is TOO common right now...but I like the name Riley for a girl or a boy and the name Zoe for a girl. Good luck!

I had a name all picked out for my daughter...then completely changed my mind when I saw her! I chose a name that wasn't even on my list of choices...I've never regretted my choice, and my daughter likes her name, too! :)

The Z said:
It would be easier to suggest if I knew more about the LAST name the first would be going with... maybe you could PM me or give us some idea about the last name...

Like, maybe it's a three-syllable Spanish-sounding name that starts with R (or something).

Gilbert. That will be his or her last name. I wish I could give the baby a different last name...:rolleyes:

Of the names you listed, I like Rowan and Avery the best. I tend to go towards more traditional names, too. For boys, I really liked the names Brian and Alexander (and call him Alex) but DH didn't like either for some reason :rolleyes: . In the last two months there have been three Isabella/Isabelles born on our street. My mom's a nursery school teacher and she has 3 each of Grace and Olivia this year, too. Nice names but a little too used at this point for my taste!

Austin for a boy. that's my son's middle name. wwe named him william for don's brother who died several years prior.

Desiree for a girl. that's my name but i can share !!

Being a school teacher I had a really hard time picking names cause I knew so many kids and some of them put me off the name!! When I was pregnant with my youngest I loved the name Liam but DH said it reminded him of Liam Gallagher from Oasis! Now I'm glad we didn't have a boy and use it cause we have about 4 Liams at school and they are all awful!!!
I like traditonal names spelt correctly!! You have no idea how hard it is for children with unusual spellings cause no one ever spells their name right and (I know this is petty) they can never but personalised things at shops- my older daughter is Jessica which they have writing pads, pens, mugs you name it with her name on it but Erin her little sister is much harder to find and boy does she get upset!
I think no matter what you name the baby everyone gets used to it eventually no matter what they said or thought in the start.

mrsmac said:
Being a school teacher I had a really hard time picking names cause I knew so many kids and some of them put me off the name!! When I was pregnant with my youngest I loved the name Liam but DH said it reminded him of Liam Gallagher from Oasis! Now I'm glad we didn't have a boy and use it cause we have about 4 Liams at school and they are all awful!!!

Hmm...maybe we won't go with Liam then.:LOL:
I understand what you mean about certain names putting you off. I used to like the name Paige but then we met this little girl who came off quite creepy to me and now I can't help but think of her when I hear the name.

As of now, for me anyway (not sure about DH), Gray and Avery are my #1s.

When we picked out our son's name, Aidan, we liked it because it wasn't a name we heard of often. Now it seems like everyone is naming their kid Aidan. He's going to be one of those kids who has three Aidans in his class at school.:(

I love the name Aiden, my cousin has an Aiden and there is one at school but its spelt Ayden. I didn't realise how popular Jessica was until later but Jess has never had another Jess in her class although there are others at the school and there is one other in her soccer team.
We have lots of Isabellas at school at the moment but they are 5 and Grace is making a comeback big time! We went through a Lauren phase but it seems to be slowing. I have 2 Nicholas' in my class they are 11. I love that name and they are both nice!!

Hannah, Haley,

For boys I like the OLD names that seem
more normal these days.. Joe, Sam, Ben,
my favorite though is Jake. It sounds like a strong mans name.

Here's another thought: think of what characters or values you'd like to instill in your child. Then, do a search as to what name derives it's origin from it. One of my names means "God is Gracious". I like that.
Also, ditto to what mrsmac said! We have a little cousin named "Allisyn" and she never gets anything personalized (unless it's $pecial order$).
After doing our school's yearbook for 2 years in a row, I've noticed that most classrooms have 2, 3 or 4 of a particular name...and at least 25% of each class has weird spelled names. Go with something that, upon reading, anyone can pronounce correctly. It will really help your child in the long run!

And, when you're frustrated, watch the "I love Lucy" episode where she's trying to name the baby!

Corozon,

my kids all have easy names, Anthony (tony) Michael, Erica,( Ari) Gina (geens) Their kids are Tony's 2 girls Alyssa and Gianna, Ari's 2 boys Cade Matthew and Carson Brady, Geens has little Ethan James and one due in Jan. we can't name yet :LOL: At first the names seemd odd, but, you get use to them and the kids just grow into the names...I had loved the name Ashley when Ari was born, my DH just didn't care for it, when Gina was born he said ahhh go ahead name the baby Ashley if you want to, I'm okay with it..Well I took one look at my little Italian with a head of black hair and silver tips and said nope she's a Gina:LOL:
kadesma

Moments after the birth of my first daughter, out of the seeming-blue, I asked my husband, "hey, how about Caroline?", and he nodded yes. It just fit. Like her name, she is very feminine, but also very strong. We had never been able to come up with a name until we met our child. Then along came Roseanne (I feel I must say this was in SA, and we had never heard of the actress of the same name). Again, right in the delivery room her name just hit me. Like her name, she's a sweet, soft, girly-girl, but also very strong. And you know what? She's always had this special perfume about her. Finally, our third girl. No name popped into my head in the delivery room. I felt terrible about it, guilty even! For three days she had no name. I kept thinking, what am I supposed to call this beautiful creature? Hey You? I started calling her "Bonnie" in my head, which ran contrary to my feelings on names...I had never liked anything cutesy-wutesy or overly trendy. We brainstormed every night. Erica? (both MIL and Mom hated), Stephanie? (14 other Stephanies born the same day). Finally we picked Jessica - didn't know how popular this name was in US. Meanwhile, Jessica grew into a true Bolshevek (a rebel - so proclaims my mom), her nickname: Jeshishka. Point is....I truly believe the right name often finds the baby.

Gilbert

Girls
'Roxanne' (I think it sounds distinguished, for later, and I LOVE 'Roxy' because it's sassy)
'Marina' (I like the nautical theme and the lyrical flow of it)

Boys
'Gus' (my grandfather's name... unusual, and kinda goes with Gilbert).
'Noah' (probably common now, but I still like it)

Gilbert is actually a good last name as far as matching with a first name goes. I have an uncle who's FIRST name is Gilbert. Now THAT'S a little more unfortunate. LOL

Well these are just some I thought of by going through the alphabet. My oldest boys name just came to me one night while I was lying in bed.......I'd been struggling thinking of names and I was just about to doze off and bam! My middle sons name is my Grandmothers maiden name. My third sons name just came to me out of the blue also. Its amazing when you see your child and say their name it just fits.......at least it did for me. Don't stress out about it it'll come to you and it'll be music to your ears once your bundle arrives. But the best name you can ever hear is "Momma".
Boy:
Aiden
Ashton
Brendon
Dillon.....my youngest boys name
Dalton
Dawson
Easton
Kyler.....my oldest boys name but spelt differently. I only know of 2 others and they are younger than him
Layton
Logan....my middle son
Mason
Phoenix
Reece
Riley

Girls:
Avery
Addison
Asia
Brooklyn
Brie
Grace "Gracie"
Haegan
Jaycee
Riley

I like Mitchell, I realised today I have 2 of them in my class and 2 Breannas. In Year 6 there are 11 girls with 5 names between them!! Jessica, Breanna, Emily, Jordyn and Elizabeth.

Try to give the children different intials so it doesn't get confusing with mail later on.

Back
Top Bottom