ISO Beekeepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm thinking the farm would be the perfect place to set up a few (3) bee hives/boxes (or, as I called them as a child, dressers). I am severely allergic to bees and wasps, so not sure this is a good idea (but so is Dr. Oz, and he keeps bees). I could defintely process the honey, just might not be too crazy about being around the bees...

Looking for some resources as to where to buy a bee colony in Eastern Ontario next spring and good sources for learning about keeping bees. I checked out Mother Earth News and found a good article there, but thought I'd query experienced beekeepers for the lessons learned when they first started out. I'm sure we must have some beekeepers who are part of DC?

Thanks!

CWS, I agree with Kayelle! No bees for you, put up a bat house instead! You are already helping many bees with all your organic plantings.

CWS I certainly care a lot more about you than Dr. Oz.

Nobody who is severely allergic to bees should be giving them a home!!

CWS, I agree with Kayelle! No bees for you, put up a bat house instead! You are already helping many bees with all your organic plantings.
I have to agree. You may carry an epi-pen, but would you be in good enough condition to use it? You live out in the country. It's not like you could be at the hospital in 10 minutes.

Me, too. You probably already have a few bee hives on your property or your farm wouldn't be as successful as it is. It's not worth risking your life.

I would not be tending the bees and the hives (houses, dressers?) would be on the back 40. I'm still investigating how secure those bee suits are...

I think the beekeepers' association Aunt Bea mentioned is the best way to get the most accurate information. During my master gardener training last year, we had a talk on pollinators by the president of the local association and she was a wealth of information. They work with bees every day.

I have to agree. You may carry an epi-pen, but would you be in good enough condition to use it? You live out in the country. It's not like you could be at the hospital in 10 minutes.
You're right, TL. I actually haven't been able to use it. I've got 4 epi-pens and have 20 minutes to hit my thigh (blue to the thigh, orange to the sky). The problem is that my hands seize up when I go into Anaphylaxis--doesn't matter how big the darned pen is, I couldn't direct it/hold it if I wanted to do so. Fortunately, I haven't been alone when I've gone into anaphylaxis. Luckily, the first sign is I turn bright red (but now at my age, that is not necessarily a sign of anaphylaxis...) and I carry benedryl with me, but ... I still want to raise honey bees!

You're right, TL. I actually haven't been able to use it. I've got 4 epi-pens and have 20 minutes to hit my thigh (blue to the thigh, orange to the sky). The problem is that my hands seize up when I go into Anaphylaxis--doesn't matter how big the darned pen is, I couldn't direct it/hold it if I wanted to do so. Fortunately, I haven't been alone when I've gone into anaphylaxis. Luckily, the first sign is I turn bright red (but now at my age, that is not necessarily a sign of anaphylaxis...) and I carry benedryl with me, but ... I still want to raise honey bees!

If you are going to be stubborn (oh how well I know that word!) and go ahead with this project, just make sure you have someone with you every time to have to service the hive. :angel:

I would not be tending the bees and the hives (houses, dressers?) would be on the back 40. I'm still investigating how secure those bee suits are...

The gentleman in the film, mentioned that he got stung four times the day before and he was fully protected. I wouldn't want to be depending alone on elastic at the critical entry points. :angel:

So let's look at this scenario again, shall we ;) ? You're in the beekeeping suit, and a bee (or more than one) gets in somehow and stings you. You turn red. Can you, or anyone else, see that through the mask? Your hands seize up. Where is the pen? Can you pick it up with the gloves on? Can you use it with seized-up hands and gloves on? If you take the gloves off, you might get stung more. And you say you haven't been able to use the pen heretofore.

I'm not liking this idea.

Attachments

• beekeeping-suit.jpg
    beekeeping-suit.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
^^^ What they said.

:sigh: CWS, don't do it! Way too dangerous. Take your Ritalin.

Last edited:
Shaking my head in disbelief. :blink::cry::closedeye

The whole idea is very worrisome to all of your friends here along with your other friends in your life. Please rethink this idea. Not a good one at all. We do love you. And who would take care of the Girls if you got stung? :angel:

If you are going to be stubborn (oh how well I know that word!) and go ahead with this project, just make sure you have someone with you every time to have to service the hive. :angel:
Actually, I think it is orange to the thigh, blue to the sky.

Back
Top Bottom