ISO - Clotted Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i was reading about scones one day, viewing pages of various temptingly plated scones, and in general, making myself very hungry, when i came across a scone that was to be served with dollops of 'clotted cream'....
CLOTTED CREAM? wth is clotted cream?! i have no idea, but i do know this much, I WANT some! okay, so i google 'clotted cream', and i learn that it is 'a thick cream made by heating milk slowly and then allowing it to cool while the cream content rises to the top in coagulated clumps.' ....but, it is CLOTTED CREAM, and i still WANT some! by now i know that i have once again fallen for a food by the look and/or sound of its name...but i am hooked on the thing, and i must follow it through to the end. i must have a taste of this clotted cream--hopefully atop of a homemade scone spread with some blueberry or cherry fruit, yumm....

have any of you made or tasted a clotted cream from a recipe that you would recommend? in general, do you use clotted cream anywhere that whipped cream is called for? are there different flavorings that get added to 'plain' clotted cream, like lemon or vanilla? is clotted cream ever used
with savory dishes, like on a piece of fish, or an omelet?
i'd love to hear from you, really...:)

Last edited:
i was reading about scones one day, viewing pages of various temptingly plated scones, and in general, making myself very hungry, when i came across a scone that was to be served with dollops of 'clotted cream'....
CLOTTED CREAM? wth is clotted cream?! i have no idea, but i do know this much, I WANT some! okay, so i google 'clotted cream', and i learn that it is 'a thick cream made by heating milk slowly and then allowing it to cool while the cream content rises to the top in coagulated clumps.' ....but, it is CLOTTED CREAM, and i still WANT some! by now i know that i have once again fallen for a food by the look and/or sound of its name...but i am hooked on the thing, and i must follow it through to the end. i must have a taste of this clotted cream--hopefully atop of a homemade scone spread with some blueberry or cherry fruit, yumm....

have any of you made or tasted a clotted cream from a recipe that you would recommend? in general, do you use clotted cream anywhere that whipped cream is called for? are there different flavorings that get added to 'plain' clotted cream, like lemon or vanilla? is clotted cream ever used
I have heard of clotted cream and believe my Grandmother used it on fresh berries and deserts. I also went to ''Wiki'' and it was explained how and where it is made.''Wiki'' sends you to a manufacturer in the U.K. Rodda's of Redruth Cornwall U.K. [roddas.co.uk] They have all types of recipes. I haven't made ''Creme Fraiche'' in quite a few years but remember how ''nutty'' it tasted. Not quite the same as ''Clotted Cream''. This company also makes it.The reason it isn't shipped much is because of its short shelf life. We made our own C. F. but most places opt for commercial sour or whipped cream because the old French Process calls for leaving it the counter overnight.Not always a safe result depending on several circumstances[Temp,Time,Bacteria, Ect]. Hope this helps, Interesting Item.

Last edited:
Try whipping a cup of heavy cream and then blending in a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of commercial sour cream.

It is about as close as we will ever get and mighty tasty!

When I first heard of clotted cream, I felt the same way.....I said to myself, "Hoot, (that's what I call myself whenever I talk to myself) you gotta try that stuff".
Well, so far I haven't found any "real" clotted cream. Aunt Bea's suggestion is a good one and it tastes pretty good.
I have made creme fraiche in the old french manner, and it is pretty good too.

My mom had strawberries and clotted cream when she took her mother on a trip to England and raves about it. I've never had it but it sure sounds good. I've never seen it for sale in the U.S. either. Let us know if you try making it.

When I was dating a dairy farmer, I had access to fresh, raw cream. I used the recipe in Joy of Cooking. Although rhubarb sauce is not my favorite, clotted cream and rhubarb sauce was to die for...not sure if you can use commercial 35% cream or not. Clotted cream is a pale yellow color (think of vanilla ice cream), with clumps of cream and a smooth, creamy sauce. It is one of England's best regional foods, IMO.

I wonder if it can be bought in a can. I have seen Devonshire double cream in tins.

I have seen it in bottles at gourmet grocers. I have an aversion to those things, they are usually very expensive and not the best quality. I figure I have never had it and am not likely to get to England so my homemade knockoff suits my fantasy of what a Cream Tea must be like! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Amazon sells it. They sell everything. :LOL:
Amazon.com: clotted cream

My wife brought some back from England on her last business trip there. It's like a cross between sour cream and butter.

if the product customer reviews on amazon can be trusted, the jarred clotted cream by devon should at least be worth a shot. I will also try mixing some sour cream with whipped cream, it's such an easy fix. scones, of course, but I bet it's good with potato pancakes, and lots of other things too...:yum:

thank you folks! I am surprised (in a good way) at the warm response this thread has already received....:)

Vit, in Steve's Amazon link, scroll down. There's a cookbook for Kindle that has a recipe for clotted cream, among other authentic English foods, scones too. Only 99 cents.

I can get it easily here, we just buy it at the supermarket. It's different to double cream , whipped cream, or creme Fraiche . I have only used it for desserts it's quite a luxurious cream really , best savoured with the likes of scones and jam !

I just did a Google search for "homemade clotted cream" and came up with a number of hits. Just for fun, you might try making your own before springing for other stuff. Might be a fun experiment. And, just think, you will get to eat the failures and successes. Where's the downside to that?!:LOL:

This morning I pulled a small packet of macerated strawberries from last winter out of the freezer. Don't you bet some clotted cream would be a match made in heaven? I'll have to follow up when berries are in season again in December.

This morning I pulled a small packet of macerated strawberries from last winter out of the freezer. Don't you bet some clotted cream would be a match made in heaven? I'll have to follow up when berries are in season again in December.

I just woke up from a nap, it seems so odd to me that strawberry season begins in December! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Vit, it's been said the best clotted cream comes from Cornwall England.

Seems it's something to do with the cows there. It's truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and if you've ever seen Doc Martin on TV, that would be an example. I had the pleasure of having what they call a "cream tea" in a little place on a cliff near where it's filmed, and I'll never forget it. The tea was lovely, but the clotted cream and raspberry jam on the scone was divine! I had never tasted anything like it.
A picture of one of the cows is in our Cornwall trip story....

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/europe2011pt2.pdf

Last edited:
I can get it easily here, we just buy it at the supermarket. It's different to double cream , whipped cream, or creme Fraiche . I have only used it for desserts it's quite a luxurious cream really , best savoured with the likes of scones and jam !

Yes, you can get it over here too :)

Yes, you can get it over here too :)
Well,

stock-vector-naughty-emoticon-sticking-out-his-tongue-66656239.jpg

to you two.

Vit, do you have a British tea room near you? Check this list: Virginia Tearooms We have a tea shoppe over the border in CT and they carry clotted cream there. Maybe you can find it kinda local? Good luck. I've never bothered buying the clotted cream for my scones because, warm out of the oven, they're perfectly yummy naked. But I have tried a bit of creme fraiche on them when they are more than an hour old and it has tasted wonderful. Might want to give that cheaper option a try.

Back
Top Bottom