"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO - Clotted Cream

i was reading about scones one day, viewing pages of various temptingly plated scones, and in general, making myself very hungry, when i came across a scone that was to be served with dollops of 'clotted cream'....
CLOTTED CREAM? wth is clotted cream?! i have no idea, but i do know this much, I WANT some! okay, so i google 'clotted cream', and i learn that it is 'a thick cream made by heating milk slowly and then allowing it to cool while the cream content rises to the top in coagulated clumps.' ....but, it is CLOTTED CREAM, and i still WANT some! by now i know that i have once again fallen for a food by the look and/or sound of its name...but i am hooked on the thing, and i must follow it through to the end. i must have a taste of this clotted cream--hopefully atop of a homemade scone spread with some blueberry or cherry fruit, yumm....

have any of you made or tasted a clotted cream from a recipe that you would recommend? in general, do you use clotted cream anywhere that whipped cream is called for? are there different flavorings that get added to 'plain' clotted cream, like lemon or vanilla? is clotted cream ever used
with savory dishes, like on a piece of fish, or an omelet?
i'd love to hear from you, really...

Old 08-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i was reading about scones one day, viewing pages of various temptingly plated scones, and in general, making myself very hungry, when i came across a scone that was to be served with dollops of 'clotted cream'....
CLOTTED CREAM? wth is clotted cream?! i have no idea, but i do know this much, I WANT some! okay, so i google 'clotted cream', and i learn that it is 'a thick cream made by heating milk slowly and then allowing it to cool while the cream content rises to the top in coagulated clumps.' ....but, it is CLOTTED CREAM, and i still WANT some! by now i know that i have once again fallen for a food by the look and/or sound of its name...but i am hooked on the thing, and i must follow it through to the end. i must have a taste of this clotted cream--hopefully atop of a homemade scone spread with some blueberry or cherry fruit, yumm....

have any of you made or tasted a clotted cream from a recipe that you would recommend? in general, do you use clotted cream anywhere that whipped cream is called for? are there different flavorings that get added to 'plain' clotted cream, like lemon or vanilla? is clotted cream ever used
with savory dishes, like on a piece of fish, or an omelet?
i'd love to hear from you, really...
I have heard of clotted cream and believe my Grandmother used it on fresh berries and deserts. I also went to ''Wiki'' and it was explained how and where it is made.''Wiki'' sends you to a manufacturer in the U.K. Rodda's of Redruth Cornwall U.K. [roddas.co.uk] They have all types of recipes. I haven't made ''Creme Fraiche'' in quite a few years but remember how ''nutty'' it tasted. Not quite the same as ''Clotted Cream''. This company also makes it.The reason it isn't shipped much is because of its short shelf life. We made our own C. F. but most places opt for commercial sour or whipped cream because the old French Process calls for leaving it the counter overnight.Not always a safe result depending on several circumstances[Temp,Time,Bacteria, Ect]. Hope this helps, Interesting Item.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Master Chef

Try whipping a cup of heavy cream and then blending in a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of commercial sour cream.

It is about as close as we will ever get and mighty tasty!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

When I first heard of clotted cream, I felt the same way.....I said to myself, "Hoot, (that's what I call myself whenever I talk to myself) you gotta try that stuff".
Well, so far I haven't found any "real" clotted cream. Aunt Bea's suggestion is a good one and it tastes pretty good.
I have made creme fraiche in the old french manner, and it is pretty good too.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom had strawberries and clotted cream when she took her mother on a trip to England and raves about it. I've never had it but it sure sounds good. I've never seen it for sale in the U.S. either. Let us know if you try making it.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was dating a dairy farmer, I had access to fresh, raw cream. I used the recipe in Joy of Cooking. Although rhubarb sauce is not my favorite, clotted cream and rhubarb sauce was to die for...not sure if you can use commercial 35% cream or not. Clotted cream is a pale yellow color (think of vanilla ice cream), with clumps of cream and a smooth, creamy sauce. It is one of England's best regional foods, IMO.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wonder if it can be bought in a can. I have seen Devonshire double cream in tins.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I wonder if it can be bought in a can. I have seen Devonshire double cream in tins.
I have seen it in bottles at gourmet grocers. I have an aversion to those things, they are usually very expensive and not the best quality. I figure I have never had it and am not likely to get to England so my homemade knockoff suits my fantasy of what a Cream Tea must be like!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Amazon sells it. They sell everything.
Amazon.com: clotted cream

My wife brought some back from England on her last business trip there. It's like a cross between sour cream and butter.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Amazon sells it. They sell everything.
Amazon.com: clotted cream

My wife brought some back from England on her last business trip there. It's like a cross between sour cream and butter.

if the product customer reviews on amazon can be trusted, the jarred clotted cream by devon should at least be worth a shot. I will also try mixing some sour cream with whipped cream, it's such an easy fix. scones, of course, but I bet it's good with potato pancakes, and lots of other things too...

thank you folks! I am surprised (in a good way) at the warm response this thread has already received....:)

Tags
cream