"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
If it weren't for needing to work with Word files, I'd recommend a Dell Chromebook (or Lenovo or Toshiba).

Chromebooks are way less susceptible to malware. Chrome OS is built on Linux and is stable and fast. It boots in like 2 seconds and mine never crashes. You can actually use the online versions of Word (free) even on a Chromebook. If you're using a 10 year old version of Word, the online version might actually be fine for you.

Your data would be saved in the cloud (Google Drive) and you could also back it up locally on a memory card.



There's a video of a guy demonstrating Word on Chromebook. But if you want to stick with Windows, that's perfectly cool too. The suggestions above will be fine. Yep, you definitely want at least 6 or probably 8 GB of RAM memory. And compared to your laptop now, anything is going to be nice. :)
__________________

__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
If it weren't for needing to work with Word files, I'd recommend a Dell Chromebook (or Lenovo or Toshiba).

Chromebooks are way less susceptible to malware. Chrome OS is built on Linux and is stable and fast. It boots in like 2 seconds and mine never crashes. You can actually use the online versions of Word (free) even on a Chromebook. If you're using a 10 year old version of Word, the online version might actually be fine for you.

Your data would be saved in the cloud (Google Drive) and you could also back it up locally on a memory card.



There's a video of a guy demonstrating Word on Chromebook. But if you want to stick with Windows, that's perfectly cool too. The suggestions above will be fine. Yep, you definitely want at least 6 or probably 8 GB of RAM memory. And compared to your laptop now, anything is going to be nice. :)
Okay, now you've really lost me...cloud?
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Okay, I understand some of the information. I don't know what "terabytes" are and I'm not sold on the touch screen part. I know nothing of smart-type phones, nor do I want to. I prefer to keep things electronically as simple as I can.

My son put my current laptop together after Buck died in 2008 and I have no idea what my accessibility to the Word program is, nor do I know the difference between Word and Office as you have referenced.

You mentioned a "trackball," what is that? In the photo of the laptop in your link, I don't see any ball-like device.

After reading your information, and tell me if I'm not getting some of it correct, what I will need is a new laptop (such as the one you linked) and way to get Word on the computer.

Otherwise, my usage needs will be satisfied by the computer's capabilities. Yes?
Terabytes are a measure of how much storage space the computer has for software and data and photo files. It's plenty for your needs. I only mentioned the smartphone aspect because I thought it might be familiar (couldn't remember whether you have one).

Windows is the operating system that controls everything your computer does; you have the version called Vista, which, as you've found, is out of date and will no longer be supported next year. Word is one specific program and you know what it does Office is a set of programs that includes Word and also does other things (create presentations, spreadsheets, brochures and flyers, etc.).

It sounds like the easiest thing to do is buy a copy of Word (an older version will be less expensive and will have more features than what you're currently using) and install it on the new laptop. If there is a computer store somewhere near you (whether a chain like Best Buy or a local place), you can pay someone to install it, if necessary. It shouldn't cost much. Or maybe one of your or Glenn's children can help you with that.

I misspoke on the trackball. Sorry for the confusion

Yes, your bottom-line understanding is correct. The one you linked will work fine.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Okay, now you've really lost me...cloud?
The cloud is essentially file storage space provided by a vendor. These days, cell phone vendors, Internet service providers, online email providers (like Yahoo) and others provide free online storage space. The benefit is having a place outside your home to backup your files and being able to access them when you're away from home. Some people are concerned about privacy and don't want to do that, although there are safeguards. Anyway, it's optional.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The cloud is essentially file storage space provided by a vendor. These days, cell phone vendors, Internet service providers, online email providers (like Yahoo) and others provide free online storage space. The benefit is having a place outside your home to backup your files and being able to access them when you're away from home. Some people are concerned about privacy and don't want to do that, although there are safeguards. Anyway, it's optional.
Thank you, GotGarlic. Since I don't have a smart-type phone and don't take my computer with me when I'm away from home, I don't think the cloud thing would be of much use to me. I suppose it would be of great value to working people who rely on their computer for data, etc.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Thank you, GotGarlic. Since I don't have a smart-type phone and don't take my computer with me when I'm away from home, I don't think the cloud thing would be of much use to me. I suppose it would be of great value to working people who rely on their computer for data, etc.
It is, although, as an example, I saved recipes to my Google cloud space that I used in Michigan when we cooked for my FIL. It saved me the hassle of printing and packing them to take with me. I was able to access them with my MIL's computer at their house.

I also made labels with cooking instructions last November for the food packages and so I had those to work from when I made new labels for different dishes.

I also use a note-taking program on my phone, computer and tablet that saves to the cloud. One example: When we're planning a trip, I save ideas for restaurants, etc., ticket receipts, itineraries, contact information, etc. I can access this information from any of my devices or someone else's computer from anywhere. It's pretty handy
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #17
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,705
Katie. Clouds are out there and make browsers and other things work better ( ie:Steam Gaming). Whatever browser you use will most likely make use of it. It's a remote dynamic data storage area, but not a place you can store big files.

Windows 10 will be quite an adjustment for you, I'm guessing.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Thank you, GotGarlic. Since I don't have a smart-type phone and don't take my computer with me when I'm away from home, I don't think the cloud thing would be of much use to me. I suppose it would be of great value to working people who rely on their computer for data, etc.
I'd think of the cloud as simply a disk drive -- albeit one that lives on the Google servers instead of locally on the computer's disk drive. Even if you don't use a smart phone or tablet, the cloud still has its advantages. In case your computer stops working, the data is safe still. And in the future, for example, if you were to add a tablet to your household, you could just log into your account, and all your data will appear on the tablet.

You should have your data in at least 2 places -- A. cloud, B. locally on the hard drive, or C. on an external drive (hard drive or small SD card/thumb drive). Pick 2 of the above or preferably all 3. But if you're going to do B and C only, then I'd suggest keeping the external drive at a relative's house.

There have been people who've kept their "backup" external drive right next to their laptop or computer. And then when the thief breaks in, they take the computer AND the external drive, so the victim has lost all their data.

It really does sound like a Chromebook might be a good option for you -- way less BS than a Windows computer. You can actually go down to Best Buy and a salesperson could show you a Chromebook and how it works, and ask them to show you the free online versions of Word and Office. If you do get a Chromebook, they have various sizes of screens so whatever size you want. Also I'd make sure it has at least 4 GB's of RAM memory. Chrome OS is a lightweight OS and doesn't need much RAM but the more the better. On a Windows laptop, I'd get at least 8 GB's of RAM memory.

Chromebooks are pretty reasonably priced -- $200-$300. I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2 with a beautiful 13.3" high def screen. Whatever laptop you get (Windows or Chromebook), be sure to get one with an "island keyboard" -- much easier to type on than the older keyboards. Your 10 year old laptop probably has a non-island keyboard. You're going to like a modern island keyboard.
__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I'd think of the cloud as simply a disk drive -- albeit one that lives on the Google servers instead of locally on the computer's disk drive. Even if you don't use a smart phone or tablet, the cloud still has its advantages. In case your computer stops working, the data is safe still. And in the future, for example, if you were to add a tablet to your household, you could just log into your account, and all your data will appear on the tablet.

You should have your data in at least 2 places -- A. cloud, B. locally on the hard drive, or C. on an external drive (hard drive or small SD card/thumb drive). Pick 2 of the above or preferably all 3. But if you're going to do B and C, then I'd suggest keeping the external drive at a relative's house.

There have been people who've kept their "backup" external drive right next to their laptop or computer. And then when the thief breaks in, they take the computer AND the external drive, so the victim has lost all their data.

It really does sound like a Chromebook might be a good option for you -- way less BS than a Windows computer. You can actually go down to Best Buy and a salesperson could show you a Chromebook and how it works, and ask them to show you the free online versions of Word and Office. If you do get a Chromebook, they have various sizes of screens so whatever size you want. Also I'd make sure it has at least 4 GB's of RAM memory. Chrome OS is a lightweight OS and doesn't need much RAM but the more the better.
I'm really appreciating the education I am getting and am, for the most part, understanding what everyone's saying.

As for the "cloud" situation. The only things we store are a few, and I mean a few, photos and whatever Word documents I create. Those are almost completely recipes.

My download folder only has 4 items in it and I don't even know what they are.

Fortunately, I have until April - certainly won't wait till the last minute - so I have plenty of time to accumulate my rewards/points. Hoping to may close to nothing for whatever I select.

Went to Office Depot today to "feel" what the new products are. I learned a lot and like what I see in a Dell I'm considering.

Thanks, everyone. Keep the information coming.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #20
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

Went to Office Depot today to "feel" what the new products are. I learned a lot and like what I see in a Dell I'm considering.

Thanks, everyone. Keep the information coming.
Yeah definitely get a hands on experience. Like I added to the post above, I'd get an "island keyboard" as they are a lot easier/nicer to type on than the older keyboards like you're used to.
__________________

__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.