ISO Diwali etiquette?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
We've been invited to a Diwali celebration on Saturday. What is the guest etiquette--does one bring candles? Gifts? What? I've never been. I'm well-acquainted with the Scandinavian celebrations--not Diwali!

I've read a couple of articles on the Internet, but am clueless as to what is expected of a guest. I'm really looking forward to the FOOD! I go to a local Indian restaurant with this friend (she's married to a guy from India) and she makes the best homemade curry powder, but am clueless as to what is expected.

There are two children in the family--are they expecting gifts? What would be appropriate Diwali gifts for boys 10 and 8 yrs. old? I've already promised them fertilized eggs in the Spring to hatch...but that probably should not be considered Diwali gifts--rather, a lesson on from where chickens come...HELP! These are very good friends--I have offered to come over and help prep so I'm sure my friend will coach me. It is just she's out with the boys tonight and I somehow missed the invite buried in my inbox until tonight.

Back
Top Bottom