ISO help cleaning keyboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i'm not speaking of dust. i spilled pop & it's sticky. tips would be appreaciated cause i'm ready to throw my keyboard out.:LOL:

My one keyboard is dirty, too. I should take my own advice I'm about to give.
A high school kid (so obviously he grew up with computers) cleaned mine with 409 or similar on a paper towel. He opened Word first so the keys had soomething to do without shutting down the pc.
I don't know if that's the "proper" way, but it worked.

hmmm..... i'll try that with spray cleaner. great idea 'bout putting it into word. thanks, pacs.

Um, I'm not sure I'd spray liquid into an electrical device with the power on. Teenagers are not known as the smartest creatures on earth, even if they have grown up with computers.

I would disconnect the keyboard from the computer, pop off the keys, and clean them that way. Then let it dry overnight before putting the keys back on and plugging it in.

i thought of popping my keys, garlic, though i'd really rather buy a new keyboard than that.

Um, I'm not sure I'd spray liquid into an electrical device with the power on. Teenagers are not known as the smartest creatures on earth, even if they have grown up with computers.....

Um, gotta agree with you there..... Where'd you ever read such a thing?
Um, not in my post.

Um, gotta agree with you there..... Where'd you ever read such a thing?
Um, not in my post.

You're right, sorry - you didn't say spray. I read that into Luvs' post, although she didn't say it either. I'm still not sure it's a good idea to put cleaning liquid, even on a paper towel, into an electrical device that's plugged in. And when I say I'm not sure, I mean that literally - I know next to nothing about electrical stuff except that it shouldn't get wet :)

I'd probably buy a new keyboard, too. In fact, I did the same thing at work and we happen to have a lot of extra keyboards, so I got another one and threw mine out.

Ya know, they do make a specific cleaner for electronics that, yes, can be sprayed onto it then wiped off. Radio Shack is a good place to look for it, as well as Best Buy type places.
But, pop in the keys can be trickier to get out and may require some keys be removed. Try the electronic cleaner first then pop keys (pun intended) as needed. If you are careful, it is not that hard to do and something I do about twice a year as routine maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom