"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO help with homemade remedies for fleas

Looking for a good homemade flea powder and or sprays.
I am tired of paying for them and not have them smell good and really work well.
Has anyone tried their own and had good sucess.
I found this one I am going to try.

Homemade Flea Powder
Mix together:
1 cupful of plain BORAX (usually sold as 20 Mule Team borax in the stores here)
1 cupful of plain TABLE SALT
1 cupful of plain BAKING SODA

thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
Head Chef

Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

in spite of legs' rather drastic suggestion, I bet you are on the right track with the borax.

It's said to be effective against cockroaches if you lay down a c*ke line of it where they travel, so if it will affect an insect that's been around for a zillion years, it's gotta do something to fleas.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Head Chef

Are you going to use it as a dusting powder or bath wash?

They are going to lick themselves and that stuff will make them sick if you dust. If you are determined to try it, you should call the vet and ask about it.

You can get a product from the vet for about $20 that will take care of the problem all summer. They will sell it over the counter without having to see your pet.

Would I put it on my pets? NO!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Breezy's probably right (she maintains more critters than me). Borax is pretty akaline, I think. Not real good to ingest in quantity for more attractive creatures.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Master Chef

I buy Frontline plus from Pet Shed at a very reasonable price. It's usually $27 for a 3 month supply, but we got a flyer advertising a sale price of $10 off. Our dog gets outside and runs through the woods and fencerows, but this product keeps her free from fleas and ticks.
Buy the time you buy the stuff to make your own flea powder, which will have to be applied frequently and won't work as well, you may as well buy a product that really does the job.

Here's the link for Pet Shed:

Frontline® Plus Flea and Tick Control on Sale! - Frontline Plus
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Flea shampoo should work pretty well.What about a flea collar after a good shampoo?Or like Constance says Frontline but I would still give them a good flea killing shampoo first..At first the Frontline is a bit smelly but goes away and lasts like 2-3 months.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Shampoo's a pretty good idea for dogs. Have you ever tried to shampoo a cat? It's a wonderful way to become a blood donor.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
Head Chef

Not going to use on the dog - more for putting in bed and on carpet and leave it for a few mins and then vaccum it up -- I guess i should of also stated that looking for one to use on the dog powder or spray form
thanks all
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to SpiritWolf Send a message via Yahoo to SpiritWolf
I shampoo my cats all the time, you just have to get them use to it at a young age. Plus you must use Luke Warm water, never cold or hot, Wash gently, but thourghly, and never splash them, unless they are use to it, keep the bath to a maximum of 5 minutes, more if your cat loves it, and if you have the time and patience. I have 3 cats and they all get bathed once a fortnight in summer and whenever they need it in winter. 2 of the cats are fairly ok in water, but my biggest one, and he is only 2 years old and the size of a small dog, is the fiestiest, he puts up with it, but only just, I find the best way to bath my cats is to hold them on top of the neck, just like mum does when they are just born, and kittens, it doesn't hurt them as long as you know what you are doing, just be gentle, but firm at the same time, this way I get the best control over them and they cant scratch you, but you have to be allert, never take your eyes off them, they are very quick when they want to be, Yes I have been scratched, but no where near as much as I would have been doing it differently. Shampoo them quickly, rubbing it in well all over, then rince off in the water u have filled the wash tub with, ( I do mine in the laundry tub, and 1/4 fill with water), once they are rinced off properly, then towel dry, must be done properly, otherwise cats will get cold, snug up and keep them warm for a while, dont have fans or air-con on, they will dry themselves, they do love to be clean. After my cats are dry properly, I then spray them with a flea rince concentrate called "FIDO'S", I use that shampoo as well, it is all natural and doesn't harm them at all even when they lick and clean themselves, it does the trick, untill I do it all over again, I very rarely get scratched, as I be as gentle as I can.