ISO help with old dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then it sounds like leash on as a means of keeping track of where she is works for you! That really is a good idea then! I would call Patsmart and ask them if they have a collar with bells on it - that might save you some time.

:) I think I would try a craft store so you can try out different bells thet you could sew on a collarI think you would want bells that jingle with the slightest of movements.
Next I think we need to get our resident genius YT to come up with an idea like maybe a blinking light on her collar?

jpmcgrew

thanks. DId you use these already? They are great. Is that what you did ask Google? I feel so dumb. Guess you already know that. You don't think I would have to worry about it affecting the dog in someway? Like the microwave oven thing? That would be the end if I bought something that was making her worse.

Do I sound paranoid?

thanks

I try.

Yes, ITK, Keiki is doing quite well. Actually some of her health problems improved when we got her back (?). Weird. But she is old.

I often don't let my children guests play with her. She never particularly liked kids, and geriatric dogs and young children can be a bite waiting to happen. I have one 6 year old friend who is good, but many of the others get warnings (kids and parents) to just leave her alone. It can be hard because a lot of children simply can't resist something smaller and weaker than them (she's a 13 year old, 13 lb, skinny Jack Russell). So far she's not bitten anyone (snapped, though), but she has a lot of spots on her body she just doesn't want anyone to touch. Especially on her head.

Only you can decide when to put down a beloved pet, but it helps to have your vet's advice along the way. Sometimes hiding from or running away from loved ones is a pet's way to say good-bye. Fang did try to hide from us for a few days before I realized the disease was causing her unbearable pain. And Keiki had shown signs of seizure activity for days before she wandered off, so we assumed that was the case. That has dissappeared, and after her sores healed, her coat came in winter-heavy (something that never happens in the spring). But I do see her stopping and just staring off into space and she sleeps A LOT.

While I do not withhold water, per se, before her mom got kidney disease they used to have a bowl of water in the bedroom at night. Once that started (with my vet's approval), I no longer leave water in the room. I'm an insomniac anyway, and getting up for potty or watering breaks at 3 or 4 aren't that big of a deal.

:) ITK I have never tried the blinking collars All can think of is if she notices the lights it might make her crazy meaning irritated not nuts but if the lights are blinking and she doesn't see them it should be OK.Yes I Googled but thats my personality Im always looking for answers for something.And no you are not dumb(dont even say that)
You are looking for answers and with this many memebers someone is bound to come up with something.I even thought of a little beeper on her collar wouldnt bother her but it would probably drive you nuts like when a cell phone starts beeping because it's low on battery charge.Im just tossing ideas around.

Last edited:
jpmcgrew

Thanks for trying to help so much. I only wish I could return favors to so many have offered suggestions. Anything for my little one who is deserving of her share of comfort.

Claire, sure sounds like things going fairly well. My dog sleeps so much too. Since she is deaf it seems gets startled when I am not there when she wakes up. Comes looking for me. I can't stay in one room till she wakes up. Just let her sleep. And snore like the house is going to shake.

All we can do is take one day at a time. I just wonder how my niece does it with the 15 dogs that are 7 years and up. No young ones, all old that people didn't want. I just people can't understand why she has so many. I don't know how she does it. Best I don't I only have one and baffles me.

15! I cannot imagine. When it is Keiki's time, that is it for awhile. I want to travel without worries for a few years (and not in an RV, been there done that, with my two lovely pups). Time for more elegant hotels and restaurants. I was never able to kennel my dogs; I worked for a vet and, at least where we lived, the kennels were terrible (NOT HERE). When I lived in Forida, I could get my parents or some other relative to dog sit (and yes, we would as well)(I also used to bathe and dip other family pets, pre-Frontline days). SO for now we are here watching Keiki until the day she dies. Not quite. Next summer will be our 25th wedding anniversary, and a friend in Colorado will take her for a night while we spend it at the Brown Palace. In return we will wine & dine them. They love her dearly (meaning they will forgive "accidents" and make sure she doesn't get out of the yard), so it should work out ok. I suspect Keiki may be our last dog, but never say never or always.

:) I love DC not just for the comaderie (sp?)but how many of you has have such a great love and empathy for animals not just our own but everyone else.Really makes me emotional.Thats a good thing,no a great thing.God bless you all and your pets and all creatures.

I wish I was better at computer work, because I just got one of those forwarded emails I often delete without even reading. But it was about a 6-year-old taking it very calmly when his old dog was put down. His response:

"People are born so that they can learn to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"

Vet and parents agreed.

"Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Profound

Claire, that is good one! Wonder whose child that was? Sure deep insight.

like you said taking care of as many dogs as my niece does really baffles me. I know she resented me putting my dog down because it got completely blind but I myself saw the dog was disgusted with herself. She just fell on the vet's table as if to say, get it over with. She was housebroken and she couldn't find her way out even when I tried to direct her. She actually got mad at me and went back the other way many times. She was smart dog. My niece has to go on vacation and she does put them all in kennel. Can you imagine the cost? She get so much percentage but not completely. I am very thankful she has husband who likes dogs the way she does. Don't know how this came about so many dogs, but I believe it has something to do with her daughter running off and never came back. This may keep her mind off of where she is. She is taking care of her daughter's child too. She is 7. Her dogs are blind, can't hear, one had leg removed, like she is running a nursing home. It is wonder the owners don't have any guilt about giving them up. They just get another puppy. People!

I only wish I could pick a dog for this old one of mine. I know she sleeps lot but people do this too when they age. She is always smelling for the other dog. Especially when I have to leave acts so down. I couldn't leave before when other dog had diabetes now this one doesn't want me to go.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom