"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
ISO - How do you clean soot?

The glass insert on the fireplace is just coated, if I start a fire, I won't be able to see it. How do I clean that up? Never having a fireplace before, I am at a loss.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Can you take it outside and spray it with oven cleaner?
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,830
We can't use our fireplaces because the chimneys are original and would need liners But it's pretty easy to clean the glass: Cleaning Soot from Glass -- Heloise Hints
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,341
I've had a fireplace or a wood stove for years. Before you light a fire, check to be sure the chimney is clear and wide open. Critters and nests are common. If the fireplace was used a lot, you may want to have it checked for creosote build-up and possibly have it cleaned. You don't want to deal with a chimney fire.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Good advice to have it checked. Sounds like it was well-used.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:12 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Can you take it outside and spray it with oven cleaner?
I don't know, will have to see if I can take the doors off.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We can't use our fireplaces because the chimneys are original and would need liners But it's pretty easy to clean the glass: Cleaning Soot from Glass -- Heloise Hints
Thanks GG
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've had a fireplace or a wood stove for years. Before you light a fire, check to be sure the chimney is clear and wide open. Critters and nests are common. If the fireplace was used a lot, you may want to have it checked for creosote build-up and possibly have it cleaned. You don't want to deal with a chimney fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good advice to have it checked. Sounds like it was well-used.
The silly thing is, the inspector we hired took a couple of pictures of the chimney, it had recently been cleaned. But they either didn't clean the doors or the renters set off a soot bomb after the inspector had been here.

I also need to buy a set of fireplace tools, I have nothing to clean out the leftover ashes.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The silly thing is, the inspector we hired took a couple of pictures of the chimney, it had recently been cleaned. But they either didn't clean the doors or the renters set off a soot bomb after the inspector had been here.

I also need to buy a set of fireplace tools, I have nothing to clean out the leftover ashes.
Hiya Princess :)
How I envy you.We really miss having a fireplace here.
Our next home will definitely have one.

We once had windowed doors.That needed cleaning.I just used mild soap and water.Dawn dish detergent.Soft cloth.

Living in an old home once we did have our chimney catch on fire.It hadn't been cleaned or serviced in years by the landlord.We didn't know that at the time.Luckily we had invested, and I strongly recommend that you do the same thing.Buy fire extinguishers.Keep them mounted close by.Handy to get to.

Buy the best of the best fireplace equipment.What our landlord had provided was cheap.I set them aside and used my own.Buy a metal bucket for the ashes.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
My girlfriend in Tacoma took a page from the Prince William Sound Exxon Disaster. Soot consists mostly of grease. She cleaned her glass door regularly with Dawn. Her doors were like yours from the previous fireplace season. It creeps up on you fire to fire and you may not notice it. She learned her lesson. She now cleans the doors at least once a week. The last time we emailed, she was getting ready for the new season. She burns mostly dead pine wood. The aroma is heavenly. But then fir trees abound in that part of the country.

And my next door neighbor and I used to go to Ranier National Park and get a permit to pick up ground wood. If it fit on the bed of the truck, and we could lift it, into the truck it went. We made sure we got enough kindling as well as long burning pieces. Wood for next year. Her husband would cut it up and stack it for drying in the sunny part of the yard. He would keep it covered with a tarp in the winter.

Buying wood for a fireplace can become a major expense. The Federal Park Service loves when folks come in and help clear the ground of possible flammable material. Helps cut down on forest fires. A great way to spend a day outside in the fresh mountain air.

We would leave her husband home with the kids if they weren't in school. Poo loved spending time with Dave. He was the only male influence in his life at the time. He had already lost his father.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.