"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

{{{{{GG}}}}}. Good advice here.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #12
Head Chef

Hope it works out GG... If you need someone to clean or do chores i know a couple people that are very reasonable.. and in our area..

Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Q! I think I was overreacting a little yesterday. I was envisioning having broken bones in my foot and being on crutches and unable to drive, but I'm feeling much better today. The swelling in my foot has gone down and it's much easier to get around.

It's easier for him once the weather gets better, too. He goes cycling whenever he can and during the season, golfs on Fridays with a few friends, so that gets him out and doing fun things. In fact, they went last Sunday - we had an unusual sunny day with a high around 70.

Thanks again I really appreciate the suggestions and support.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Executive Chef

oftentimes our imaginations can take us on treacherous rides to frightful places that none of us goes willingly. but there's no use in saying you don't wish to go... thankfully, these trips almost always come prepackaged with happy, relief-filled endings. until the next time, that is....:)
so good to hear you are feeling better, gg!:) it makes the world look a whole lot brighter, doesn't it? you and dh seem to make a good team together. how nice for both of you that is....
Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Has DH ever said "I love you" out of the clear blue and you went on a high that carried you around for days? Well it works in reverse also. Tell him as he is walking across the room to do something for himself. Those three little words have so much power. When you are watching television together, offer to give him a back rub or neck rub to relieve his muscle tension. Share some of the jokes from "Today's Funny."

See if you qualify for a homemaker. Neuropathy is no joke. I have it also. When I go to stand I have to wait a few seconds to make sure I can stand on my leg. Took me a long time to remember to do that. Also try to arrange your home in such a way that everyday items are close at hand. Less walking for you. Contact your Elderly Services in your area and see what is available to you. A lot of them even have volunteers that will drive you to and from your appointments or take you shopping free of charge.

I have arranged my furniture so that I have something to lean on if necessary. It is not the prettiest apartment in the building, but I feel safe. I have a high foot stool near my bed in case when I stand up and take a step or two, I can sit immediately if I feel dizzy. It is in the way of everyone else, but not for me. I have a galley kitchen. No matter which way I may feel the need, I can lean against the counter without taking a step.

Learn what your limitation really are. Then learn to live within them. Ask for help only when you really feel like you need it. My two biggest bugaboos are dusting and vacuuming. Spike does the vacuuming for me. I try to dust as I come across it. Most imporatantly of all, TAKE YOUR TIME. Like me you can no longer rush through a job.

And like another suggestion, look into getting a walker. There are residents in this building that when you look at their walkling with one, you would think it was an act. But they feel safer with it. I say, Go for it! When I go to the hospital for my appointments, there are patients galore who just carry their canes. They don't use them. But they feel safe just knowing that they have it with them if they should need to. Feeling safe is half of the battle. You can accomplish so much more if you feel safe in your activites. And don't forget those three words. I Love You!