ISO Jewish Fruits and Spices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Sprout has asked me to find any fruits, herbs, and spices from the Jewish area of the world, or in other words, Israel.Palestine. Anybody have any experience with cujisine from those regions of the world?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yes Weed mate, the first time was when I was working on a Kibbutz in 1967.
This was a lot later Picture 230.jpg

my old high school gf was jewish and i remember they used to send money to isreal to plant fruit trees.

that was a long time ago.

they should have an orchard by now.

bah dum dum...

my old high school gf was jewish and i remember they used to send money to isreal to plant fruit trees.

that was a long time ago.

they should have an orchard by now.

bah dum dum...
You joke, but it is true. As a school kid we used to send money to Israel to plant trees. I always just assumed it was symbolic or something and never gave it much thought. When I visited Israel we were driving through the desert on the way to the Dead Sea and Masada when the tour guide had us look at the forest of trees tomour left. She told us that those are the trees from all the school kids who send money to plant trees every year. It was quite a moving experience to see that.

We're still planting trees in Israel.

all the various varieties of fruit that grows in the Middle East is common in Sephardic cooking.

Faye Levy and Claudia Roden both make a specialty out of that kind of cooking. You might enjoy looking up their recipes.

In a flight over Israel, one is amazed at the amount of greenery from trees, etc......Some of the surrounding lands are barren...which makes the green stand out so much more. Olive trees, many years old, still go in abundance

You joke, but it is true. As a school kid we used to send money to Israel to plant trees. I always just assumed it was symbolic or something and never gave it much thought. When I visited Israel we were driving through the desert on the way to the Dead Sea and Masada when the tour guide had us look at the forest of trees tomour left. She told us that those are the trees from all the school kids who send money to plant trees every year. It was quite a moving experience to see that.

yup, i was only goofing, i totally stole that joke from some borscht belt comedian.

but my gf's family and many of my friends really did raise money and send it to isreal for trees. i might even have paid for one after how many times i helped her out and also donated, lol.

it's a goy tree. the other trees like it but would rather their seeds get pollinated by other jewish trees...

omg, you were a mohel???

lol.

has anyone ever heard the thing about the only food items in the old testament were milk, honey, and manna?

a vegan tried to pass that off on me one night, i guess trying to make me feel guilty for eating meat.

so i bit him.

:D

omg, you were a mohel???

lol.

has anyone ever heard the thing about the only food items in the old testament were milk, honey, and manna?

a vegan tried to pass that off on me one night, i guess trying to make me feel guilty for eating meat.

so i bit him.

:LOL: yep the called me Olive Mohel.

omg, you were a mohel???

lol.

so i bit him.

Your vegan friend should try another tactic. Leviticus Ch 11 verse 3: "Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat." There are also references to "clean" beasts that were acceptable to eat in Deuteronomy, I believe. I'm not sure where, but I also recall examples of priests eating parts of burnt offerings after they were burnt, which were meat. These are not only in the Old Testament, but in the first 5 books, so whether he was going by the entire OT or the Torah, eating meat is definitely there. & if he was getting it confused with the New Testament, there are multiple examples of eating fish, which definitely goes against the vegan lifestyle. Not saying that there's anything wrong with the vegan lifestyle, just that trying to use the Bible to back it up doesn't work so well.

You could have pointed this out, but biting him was probably just as effective. :LOL:

Sprout has asked me to find any fruits, herbs, and spices from the Jewish area of the world, or in other words, Israel.Palestine. Anybody have any experience with cujisine from those regions of the world?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i lived in a strongly Jewish area recently; there's a multitude of imported items there.

Back
Top Bottom