"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-23-2006, 07:46 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

Make a paste of Oxiclean. Spray the spot with Zout and apply the paste of Oxy. Let sit. Wash. This removed a LOT of raspberry stain from a cotton sweater!!

Old 09-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #32
Everymom

Barbara, I LOLed at your "stain removal" method. You goofball!

Gretchen, the oxiclean did NOT work for me. I suspect (and many have confirmed) that the run through the dryer may have set this stupid stain for good. I'm currently still soaking the shirt and it may be my imagination, but the spot looks lighter.

Oh, and Gretchen, try the boiling water trick for your next raspberry stain. Ken was picking raspberries in wheat coloured pants once and a raspberry dropped into his pocket and made a horrible mess. The boiling water took it right out. It also works on carpets if anyone is interested. Someone who shall remain nameless spilled cran raspberry juice on our new cream coloured area rug (3 days after I bought it!!) and the boiling water trick removed the entire stain. Excellent little trick that one.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

I guess you did my whole process of the Zout, and oxyclean PASTE. Leave it on for a night.
The raspberry stain was not just a/one raspberry. It was courtesy of the TSA who opened a quart jar of raspberry salsa in a piece of luggage by CUTTING the lid off. The bottle had been wrapped in bubble wrap and 2 plastic bags. They returned it to the bag opened and not in anything. The stain covered the front of a white smooth cotton sweater. Bleached first in the hottest water. Not entirely removed. The zout and oxyclean made it whter than it has ever been. But I guess it just isn't to work for you.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #34
Everymom

Yes Gretchen I made an Oxiclean PASTE. I am unsure if Zout is available here so I did not use that step.

That sounds like a terrible experience on your sweater. Major major mess.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #35
Everymom

OK, Its been a week. I did the dishwasher soap thing. No change. I decided to soak in a very concentrated solution of Amaze and scrub with spot remover every day. Its faded, but still visible. Got a paste thing on it right now and will see if that kills it. I feel victory in the air! Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions to me. I'm going to keep this thread bookmarked for future reference.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
OK - here's my suggestion - but you will probably have to order this stuff on-line. There is a bar soap called Fels Naptha that has worked on every stain I've tried it on - even set in blood. It's an old fashioned thing but it does the job. Rub it on the stain, let it sit for a little while & wash.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Get one of these, sew it on, stain all gone.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #38
Everymom

Thanks Corinne. I'll look that up. Wasabi, you goof!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 AM   #39
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Great one Wasabi!

Barbara
Old 09-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix

Ken was picking raspberries in wheat coloured pants once and a raspberry dropped into his pocket and made a horrible mess.
hey honey, is that a raspberry in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me...

man, that must have really freaked out ken at first, huh alix?

this may sound strange, but i've used ronson lighter fluid (naptha) to successfully remove set stains on clothing and carpeting. ya know, the kind you use in a zippo lighter. just be careful tho. it'll ruin some types of material, but it might be worth a shot.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote