"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Lead works well and is fairly inexpensive. You need to catch them in the act though

Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks Clienta, but I will pass on the sticky traps. A friend tried that and the description she gave of that poor little thing screaming was enough to stop me from using them. I'd rather have mice.

Barbara

Old 01-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Thanks Fisher's Mom! I'm going to have to try this for mice. I have had to resort to poison, as nothing else was working, and I really don't want to have that around. It's where the dog can't get to it, and where the cats don't go, but it is inconvenient and messy once they start eating it and spreading little bits of it. Not to mention finding dead mice in the cupboard or on the counter. Yuck. If the peppermint oil keeps them away, that would be better.

Barbara
You're welcome. It really works great for me. But be warned - you need to put enough cotton balls so that you have a good, strong smell.
We had a mouse invasion when the city cited a neighbor behind the house and made him cut his yard and then they mowed the alley. All the houses in that area suddenly had the little critters. Unfortunately, I wasn't there for about a month, so when I discovered it, it was a mess. Mouse poop everywhere! Anyway, you have to clean up all "evidence" of the mice and then spray the area with clorox or lysol or something that will eliminate the mouse urine odor - which attracts other rodents. Because they had really moved in on me, I ended up putting 3 cotton balls that were soaked in oil in every closet and the kitchen cabinets and under the stove. Let me tell you, this stuff smells strong. I personally like peppermint but some folks really hate it! But, it's been 3 years since then and I've never had a mouse come in since but I do renew the oil every 3 to 6 months. And no little mouse corpses to deal with.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks again Fisher's Mom! We live in the country, so I guess they are just a fact of life. We have cats, but the mice are pretty good about staying out of reach. Fortunately James and I both like the smell of peppermint.

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Lead works well and is fairly inexpensive. You need to catch them in the act though
LOL that was my DH's solution...... BB's.
All he's caught so far was an accidental Blue Jay. WHOOPS!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Here's a really long story about lead-based rodent control. A friend and I were walking around the block in my neighborhood when we went past a neighbor's house the next street over. He was in his back yard having margaritas and invited us in. We were sitting there chatting when a guy came out of the house wearing boots and a cowboy hat and smoking a cigar.

He sat down with us and just started talking, not introducing himself or asking who we were. Well, he was telling some really outlandish stories and dropping names like Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker etc. So I asked him if he was a musician. He said he used to be and had had his own band a few years back and had played with Willie and the boys for years but that he didn't do it anymore except for fun. He said he was now a writer. I asked if he had gotten published yet and he laughed and said he'd had several books on the NYT Bestsellers list. Honestly, my girlfriend and I thought this guy was a really charming and funny BS artist.

So I turned back to my neighbor and asked him if he had gotten mice in the winter when they cut back the brush at the city park near our homes. He said yeah. I asked him what he did about them because I was freaked out and didn't want to use poison. He said "I shoot em". I blinked and said "Shoot 'em with what"? He said a 357 Magnum. I started laughing, thinking he was teasing me. Then the cowboy friend said come and see.

We went in the kitchen and sure enough, there were 3 really huge holes in otherwise perfectly restored kitchen cabinets! (We live in an historic neighborhood.) I couldn't speak for a minute and then I said "Well, you can't just shoot them in your house". That's when the cowboy said "Yeah, I told him it didn't work in my house and to just get a cat but he wouldn't listen."

By this point, I'm thinking these guys are a little nuts and maybe it's time to leave. So as we're leaving, the cowboy says we should have another margarita. I demurred and said it was a pleasure and then said I hadn't caught his name. He apologized and tipped his hat and said his name was Kinky Friedman. I thought this was another joke and laughed and said "I'll bet you are". So he pulls up his pants leg to show a pair of custom made boots with the name Kinky across them. Well, then I really thought he was an odd duck so we got out of there fast.

The next week, I came across a full page spread with his picture touting his latest book! The article was long and sure enough, confirmed all of his outrageous stories, but there was no mention of his lead-based rodent control method.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
WOW!!!
Things like that do NOT happen to me!
Cool story!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Ive read some of Kinky Friedmans articles on the back page of Texas Monthly .
Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Ive used peppermint extract to repel mice. Don't need it here as our two cats have it well under control. Its because of the cats I still have not gone out to get my new sofa I want it to be leather but the last sofa and love seat I bought the cats tried tried to make them into scratching posts. Apparently cats are very attracted to new leather.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I never heard of Kinky Friedman, but he sounds like someone I'd like to drink margaritas with

I knew a guy (not a friend... knew) that got in an accident and had to have a metal plate put in his head. I know he suffered some brain damage, too, but he still got out and about and I'd run into him once in a while. He had to spend time in jail for discharging a weapon inside city limits. He was shooting mice in his apartment with a .22
An apartment building! Geesh!