ISO recommendations for house cleaning products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam111

Cook
I am wondering what the best disinfectant / sanitization cleaner's are?

Bleach , pine sol , Lysol , ... Category:Cleaning products - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the professional janitors or house cleaning professional's
what do you uses for cleaning a kitchen and bath room in a home and business places. (i.e what cleaners and for what purposes do you think are best/cleanest )

I would imagine bleach could be used for almost anything except maybe on certain clothes (laundry) ...
Correct me if I am wrong I would even go as far as throwing a little bleach in the dish washer...

So what is all the rest of the cleaners for ... are they just for that 5% of exception things/materials? (i.e pine sol , Lysol ,...etc)

Question 2
In terms of Environmental friendly what is your best cleaners

Question 3
How about for laundry and dishes interms of most clean and EPA preferred

Last edited:
I don't have answers for all your questions, but one thing struck me is that Pine-Sol is garbage as far as I'm concerned.

It has a really strong smell, but at least on floors, it is sticky and very difficult to rinse. Much more work than I'm prepared to do. I use a Bissell Steam mop. No cleaners involved. I sweep/vacuum first, then run the steam mop. Once over the floor, then let dry. Much easier on my back.

I also use a cheap cleaner with added bleach for things like the refrigerator gaskets, and anywhere mold may try to grow. Be careful what you wear, though, it bleaches clothes instantly, but works perfectly to clean and protect from mold.

Regular cleaner - I use a Walmart bathroom cleaner. It's much better for leaving no residue behind. I like it especially for cleaning my stove.

I find that the Scrubbie Bubbles cleans almost anything even jewelry. Great for the front of the fridge and stove and any other large appliance you may have. It is not just for the bathroom. When I became ill with he Norovirus, Winthrop gave me a large container of wipes. Looking at the active ingredients; Bleach and detergent. Just what PF has been telling all of us right along. No magic formula. If you are looking to sanitize, nothing can beat bleach.

For cleaning dirt, I have the Shark steam cleaner and it cleans the floor in a heart beat. I guess it all depends on how dirty your floors are. But what I like about it most is that it dries almost instantly. I don't have to wait to walk on the floor. And the steam is a sanitizer in of itself. :angel:

If you are looking to sanitize, nothing can beat bleach.

Agreed but correct me if I am wrong bleach can't be used on every surface or material. So then on the materials it can't be used what is the equivalent of bleach in terms of sanitizing it as well.

Also seems to me you guys like different cleaners but I am wondering how different the chemicals or ingredients in those cleaners are... they could be one in the same just with different labels. ( Companies usually don't put labels of ingredients on there products... they should just like food ... since people should know what there using for there health ... )

And how do we know which ones clean better or get up more germs based on Companies and researchers words.... can be true but it is under there test conditions. I have to agree though bleach is probably the best cleaners for home uses in most cases 99.99% :).

I use the Clorox Cleanup knockoff spray. I agree with Zhizara, don't get it on your clothes. Been there, done that.

I also use a mixture of 1/3 part vinegar, 1/3 part rubbing alcohol and 1/3 part water in a spray bottle for an all-purpose cleaner. Works good on floors.

Each person who is in charge of cleaning the house has their own preferences. So there is no one cleaner that is better than another. And the ingredients are listed on cleaners. Also every Poison Control Center has a list of all cleaners and their ingredents. So if you really need to know what the igredients are for any one product, you can call them for the information.

Just don't add any of the cleaners to your cooking. :angel:

So I have to ask. I find your "questions" and "discussions" seem to have a little bit of a "challenge" to them when you get replies.

Are you doing a term paper or some kind of study?

I, for one, do not think you are opening a restaurant and if you are I want to know why you come to a cooking forum to gather this type of information when there are set rules that you must comply with in each city and state.

If you want to know what people prefer for cleaning products and they respond, why do you challenge them?

As Addie mentioned, if you want to know what's in a product and etc, go to their website or poison control.

Last edited:
Scrubbing Bubbles is the brand name of a bathroom cleaner. I use the same thing, but generic version.

So I have to ask. I find your "questions" and "discussions" seem to have a little bit of a "challenge" to them when you get replies.

Are you doing a term paper or some kind of study?

I, for one, do not think you are opening a restaurant and if you are I want to know why you come to a cooking forum to gather this type of information when there are set rules that you must comply with in each city and state.

If you want to know what people prefer for cleaning products and they respond, why do you challenge them?

As Addie mentioned, if you want to know what's in a product and etc, go to their website or poison control.

I tend to find this poster argumentative. :angel:

I've always preferred to keep my cleaning and cleaning products very uncomplicated and simple. As a result I use only a handful of cleaning products. My "go to" product is granulated Spic & Span. I use it for nearly all my household cleaning chores. For non-abrasive purposes I simply sprinkle it on the target area and scour away. Works as well as any miracle product advertised. I dilute it in water for washing walls, floors, etc. Gets the job done perfectly even on the worst gunk. I think one of the reasons it's as effective as it is is that it might contain TSP, which Buck used to use in our furniture restoration shop for clean-ups.

Windows get a squeegee and Glass Plus. Bathrooms (toilets) get Kaboomed and the showers/tubs are cleaned using a commercial product I get at Sam's called ProForce Tub and Tile Cleaner. It's serious bleach and works like magic. It's not expensive and a jug of it lasts us almost 2 years. In the warmer months we used to have a mild mildew problem on a small spot on the master bath ceiling but, since using the ProForce, it's gone and hasn't come back.

I'm a bit of a clean freak and can be obsessive about the condition of my kitchen space and the bathrooms, but the above mentioned products satisfy me 100%. They are easy to get and don't break the bank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom