"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
ISO Restaurant & Sightseeing Recommendations

WAHOO!!!

DH and I have decided that we will be driving across the country
from Arizona to Virginia.
The In-laws (DH's fam) are all gathering this Summer for a week and we've made the huge commitment to join them.
I say this because it's, what, about 2100 miles, EACH WAY!!!
And of course, the gasoline prices are starting to rise, I just hope that they don't get too high during our travel month.

We like to make a few stops and do/see stuff along our long journeys; not just make a bee-line from point A to point B and back again---where's the fun in that. (If anyone has read my blog of late, I shared our Great Western Adventure---fun!)

So ...
I'm looking for any recommendations for good eats and/or attractions at or very near to our stops in:

Fort Smith Arkansas
Cookeville Tennessee
Louisville Kentucky
Savannah Tennessee (we're stopping at Shiloh N.P.)

We prefer not to go to "chain" type restaurants, we like Mom & Pop local joints; we're not fancy-kinda folks.

We're history buffs, so that's a plus.

We'll be at each locale 1-2 nights, depending on what there is to see and do.

This is starting to sound like a really fun road trip!

Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

BBQ.....can't help you there, but I would go for that

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Where exactly are you going in Virginia? We're here in the southeastern corner at the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Is there a chance we could meet up?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Wine Guy

I've actually spent a lot of time in Ft. Smith, and I was going to send you to one of my favorite places, Neumeier's Rib Room, but it looks like they are no longer in business.

Let me check with some of my friends who live there and get back to you.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
...So ...
I'm looking for any recommendations for good eats and/or attractions at or very near to our stops in:

Fort Smith Arkansas
Cookeville Tennessee
Louisville Kentucky
Savannah Tennessee (we're stopping at Shiloh N.P.)...
I hope this isn't your actual route - it's got a bit of back-tracking there.
If you will be passing through or near Knoxville TN, stop in to see the "Golden Girls" Family Restaurant in Clinton TN. We ate at the restaurant when we did the eclipse thing and really enjoyed the food. Authentic, down-home southern cooking, if that's OK with you.

About an hour SE of Louisville is Bardstown, KY. Home to a number of Bourbon distilleries. We did the tour at Willetts. Not too far from there is another southern cooking establishment, Mammy's Kitchen. Himself had some sort of KY Hot Brown platter. I thought he was going to burst! He kept saying "one more bite" until there were none left. I don't remember exactly what I had, but it was delicious too.

Quote:
...we've made the huge commitment to join them.
I say this because it's, what, about 2100 miles, EACH WAY!!!...
Oh. Big. Deal. You're retired, so you can take an extra day here or there if you need to - and you can fit it into your budget. We did "Cleveland to MA to Cleveland to Tempe to MA" in two weeks when we moved from OH but had to get back to take our son to college and get back to MA for Himself to get to work. 5800 miles in two weeks. We lived. We felt dead for a few days, but we lived.

Have fun. Drive safe. And you must post your dinner every night. Got it?

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I think you should travel part of your trip along the old Route 66. Although it may be quite nostalgic- touristy now-a-days. I like truck stops, diners and small town cafes when traveling. (It's usually only a few hundred miles these days for us, but we need to stop anyway to keep our strength up. LOL)

By all means eat real Texas bbq, so you can compare with both Tenn and Ky bbq.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Where exactly are you going in Virginia? We're here in the southeastern corner at the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Is there a chance we could meet up?
GG, being able to meet with you and yours would be wonderful, but we are headed to Western VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I've actually spent a lot of time in Ft. Smith, and I was going to send you to one of my favorite places, Neumeier's Rib Room, but it looks like they are no longer in business.

Steve, that would be great if your friends could point us towards a lovely meal and possibly sights to see too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I hope this isn't your actual route - it's got a bit of back-tracking there.
If you will be passing through or near Knoxville TN, stop in to see the "Golden Girls" Family Restaurant in Clinton TN. We ate at the restaurant when we did the eclipse thing and really enjoyed the food. Authentic, down-home southern cooking, if that's OK with you.

About an hour SE of Louisville is Bardstown, KY. Home to a number of Bourbon distilleries. We did the tour at Willetts. Not too far from there is another southern cooking establishment, Mammy's Kitchen. Himself had some sort of KY Hot Brown platter. I thought he was going to burst! He kept saying "one more bite" until there were none left. I don't remember exactly what I had, but it was delicious too.

Oh. Big. Deal. You're retired, so you can take an extra day here or there if you need to - and you can fit it into your budget. We did "Cleveland to MA to Cleveland to Tempe to MA" in two weeks when we moved from OH but had to get back to take our son to college and get back to MA for Himself to get to work. 5800 miles in two weeks. We lived. We felt dead for a few days, but we lived.

Have fun. Drive safe. And you must post your dinner every night. Got it?
CG, we hadn't really planned on taking this road trip, as we have other irons in the fire so to speak. As to long road trips, check, so far our little Honda C-RV has over 100,000 in less then 5 years That reminds me, gotta get the car checked over before hand.

And guys, thanks for these recommendations, BBQ is tops on our list.
We've had TX, Carolina and KS-Q before but not TN nor KY. These are States that, I, myself have not been to and I'm really stoked.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
GG, being able to meet with you and yours would be wonderful, but we are headed to Western VA
And guys, thanks for these recommendations, BBQ is tops on our list.
We've had TX, Carolina and KS-Q before but not TN nor KY. These are States that, I, myself have not been to and I'm really stoked.
Darn. Well, depending on where out there you'll be, Natural Bridge is a great place to visit. It's a bridge of rock over a stream that's pretty famous in Virginia. It was surveyed by George Washington. Thomas Jefferson owned property near there. There are also caverns in the same area you can go inside. It's kinda near Blacksburg.

Nashville is about an hour west of Cookeville. If you have any interest in country music, it would be a fun place to visit.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

One of my friends says Neumeier's Rib Room in Ft. Smith is still open. In his words, it's "the best in town."

Neumeier's Rib Room : The Best Damn BBQ in Fort Smith, AR!

I haven't been there for a long time, but it's not a fancy place. Just good food. My friend also recommended Taliano's for Italian, R. Landry's for Cajun, 21 West End for a variety, Rolando's for Spanish, and Emmy's for German. All in the old downtown area.

As far as things to see, there are a few little museums and so on. TripAdvisor usually has some good recommendations, too. My personal suggestion would be to take a side trip to Ozark National Forest, which is just northeast of Ft. Smith. Lots of beautiful scenery around the area.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Master Chef

I'm not familiar with any of those areas you noted, kgirl, but your trip sounds like a wonderful experience! I LOVE road trips....!

I'm with ya on the mom and pop local restaurants - why go somewhere that you can go to in your home state...?

Are you going to be packing coolers with on-the-road eats like you did last time?

Tags
eating out, road trips, sightseeing, travel