"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO tips for low cost airfare

Any tips for getting low airfair? Any certain time of day, day of week , etc to depart? Is it cheaper way way far in advance, closer to departure time?

I've never bought plane tickets before..

Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I can't really help a lot, Angie. However, do a "Google" for inexpensive or discount airfares and you should come up with quite a few hits.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
DC Grandma

I would do it now. with the price of gas tickets are going up..we bought tickets from Ca. to N.C. a month ago..our first stop was Atlanta. then to Charlotte. Two were flights out of Atlanta were canceled because of gas prices so now we stop in Salt lake city and then to Charlotte

i used Expedia.com and we are flying Delta.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Any tips for getting low airfair? Any certain time of day, day of week , etc to depart? Is it cheaper way way far in advance, closer to departure time?

I've never bought plane tickets before..
Go to Orbitz.com and do a search. The site searches through several other sites to come up with lots of alternatives. There is usually less demand for traveling on Tues, Wed or Thurs, so you can often get a better fare. If you are willing to make one or more stops (depending on how far you're traveling), the cost goes down. Flying into smaller airports, outside of larger cities, can be cheaper, too. Just make sure you know what transportation from the airport to your destination is available. HTH.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I just flew out to California (from South Carolina) on Air Tran. Super low fares. AirTran Airways - Home Page

Barbara
P.S. Total cost, roundtrip Charlotte to San Diego (with a stop in Atlanta) was $238.50.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks guy. I checked to typical places, orbits, expedia, hotwire, travelocity...got the same results. Cheaper in June than in August.

I'll check that out Barbara. Funny thing...We're in Iowa wanting to fly to MA this summer (Hartford CT airport) and I found fairs from $270-570. Yet, this winter when my husband's uncle died, we were going to fly from IA to Hibbing, MN (a 6 hr drive) and it was $900 per person!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Tips? Yeah, don't buy one from Australia!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Thanks guy. I checked to typical places, orbits, expedia, hotwire, travelocity...got the same results. Cheaper in June than in August.

I'll check that out Barbara. Funny thing...We're in Iowa wanting to fly to MA this summer (Hartford CT airport) and I found fairs from $270-570. Yet, this winter when my husband's uncle died, we were going to fly from IA to Hibbing, MN (a 6 hr drive) and it was $900 per person!!!!!!!!
Distance doesn't determine the price - demand for the route does.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Also competition.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I travel to Las Vegas several times a year. If you go to Southwest airlines website and sign up, you will recieve "pings" on specific flights. These usually come in the AM, and you only have a very short time to respond, but the savings are substantial.
Last summer (Aug 07) our round trip ticket (Omaha to LV and LV to Omaha) was 109.00$ per ticket with a free companion flight!!
That was extremely good luck (and timing) but its free to sign up, and depending on where you are going, you may get lucky too!!
FWIW, the most we have ever spent on a RT ticket to LV using this method was 210$ ea.
Good Luck!