"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO vacuum cleaner advice/feedback....

I am VERY unhappy with mine. A couple of years ago I bought an Oreck, based on my mom's recommendation and their warantee. The man who owned the store in Dubuque quit. About 5 minutes after I walked out the door. About a year later I got a new doggie. This simply cannot come close to dealing with her shedding, and she isn't a particularly hairy dog. She also does NOT have the barbed hairs that my past dogs (JRs) had, so it shouldn't be this difficult. Every time I vacuum a rug, I have to do it vertically in both directions, then horizontally, the diagonally. I am NOT a fussy housekeeper, at all.. But instead of vacuuming once, I feel like I'm doing it a half dozen times. I've taken it in for repairs twice to my local guy, and it's working as well as it gets (of course, at my expense since the nearest place that will honor the warantee is 2 or 3 hours away).

Before her real shedding season starts (cold weather is setting in, so she's cooperating by holding on to as much hair as she can), I'd like to buy a new vacuum cleaner. Anyone with shedding pets have a recommendation? I don't want to spend a month's paycheck on it, but something has to go. At least my last Hoover was self-propelled, so if I had to vacuum the rug 6 times, at least I wouldn't be putting my shoulder out. Help!

P.S., a friend with two new cats is awaiting the answer as well!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Head Chef

Two years ago I replaced a 12-year-old Panasonic upright which I liked very much with a Sears Progressive model, well-thought of in Consumer Reports. It does a bang-up job on mixed Lab's and two short-hair cats' shedding, at least on a low-pile carpet and ceramic tile. Adjusts levels automatically.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I like my IRoomba. I also have a shop vac for doing the stairs. The IRoomba comes with a 2-year guarantee and works well on pet hair. I got one for my mom. It was around $300, including shipping. My parents have a black Lab. The IRoomba works well on the dog hair, but the cleaning lady still has to vacuum the stairs.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have a Dyson Animal (the purple one) and it takes care of the hair from 5 cats, two of which have long hair, just fine. They are expensive, but they're worth every penny. When you turn it on you can feel it sucking itself right into the carpeting.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I have a Dyson Animal (the purple one) and it takes care of the hair from 5 cats, two of which have long hair, just fine. They are expensive, but they're worth every penny. When you turn it on you can feel it sucking itself right into the carpeting.
I have a Dyson as well. Unquestionably the best thought out vacuum cleaner ever. And it really sucks.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

another vote for a dyson. we have 2 dysons, the dc7 and the dc14.

the reason we have 2 is dw wore the first one out. she is sn obsessive vacuumer, lol.
actually, it was just the clutch that wore out on the first one, so i bought the second. but $35 in parts and a quick swap out, and now we have 2.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I like my Kirby. Have had it 20 years. It' will last another 20 or so. Only have to replace the belt sometimes and that is it about it. I got it Used at an Estate sale, otherwise, I think they are a bit pricey.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I got it Used at an Estate sale, otherwise, I think they are a bit pricey.
Reconditioned, from $600.00 to $1000.00, depending on model.

Can you say "second mortgage?"
Old 12-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom has a Kirby, they work great if you don't mind hauling a Buick around the house

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Years ago, my mom had a Kirby. I hated it. It was so heavy! If you're going robotic, Irobot's Roomba, although pricier than other brands, was rated the top robotic vacuum by America's Test Kitchen. Consumer Guide products gave Dyson's DC17 it's highest rating (Dyson DC17 Absolute Animal upright vacuum Review: Powered by ConsumerGuide and HowStuffWorks). A 5-year guarantee is probably the best in the business. There are reviews for canister vacuums as well.

I had an industrial/commercial upright Electrolux for years. Downside was it had bags. The other was that the belts often broke (I had five to six Saint Bernards and Newfoundlands in the house--talk about fur and sand!). I don't remember the model, but it was comparable price to uprights sold in department stores.