"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Sous Chef

"It could never happen to me..."

Well, it did... Someone got a hold of my debit card information. Don't know how, don't care. Long story short, I caught it, bank took care of it and I moved on with life knowing that this person would never be caught.

Here's the fun part... Someone from the online company called me today. I was at work so they left a message saying there was an issue with one of the venders and the delivery. I call her back and again, long conversation short, I confirm what she thought and was calling me in suspicion that I did not make these purchases.

Turns out this is not an uncommon thing. What usually happens is they use the person's name and address with their e-mail and phone number. Here's where this person messed up. They used my phone number and their e-mail. The next thing they do is call UPS directly and change the delivery address to their own. When this happens in any instance UPS automatically calls the company then the company calls the "purchaser" to confirm the change.

So the person from the company called me. If this person had used their phone number they would have recieved their products. The lady at the company said she was so happy that it was my number and not the purchaser. She said they rarely catch the people.

So I called my bank guy and the lady at the company is going to give the bank the e-mail and address that this person called UPS to change to and once they identify then they will go get them.

So the moral of the story is, don't ever think it will never happen to you. This, luckily, other than the inconvenience of me changing my bank account that I've had for 13 years, turned out with a happy ending in that this person will be caught.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

Glad to hear the person didn't clear out your bank account. This happens quite frequently with debit cards if that person gets a hold of your pin number which is the worst case scenario.

This is one reason I don't use a debit card, never will. I will not carry a card which is tied to a cash account.

I carry and use just one credit card, and pay its balance in full each month. No interest accrues.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks like you were lucky, Jen. Good thing and I'm glad things are OK, just inconvenienced.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Get a rope!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hopefully justice will be served. I'm glad you didn't have to go through more than you did!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Thank goodness it didn't go any farther than it did. And the title of your thread sums it up for 99.9% of us.

Often, but not always, our own complacency leads to our downfall. Thanks for sharing your experience-it should be a wake up call to all of us!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:41 AM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
been there, done that...talk about a pit in the stomach!

Glad you have some quick resolve...my bank was less then helpful*cough, BOA,cough*...but it DID get fixed.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Lucky 13, jeninga! Good for you.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
...This is one reason I don't use a debit card, never will. I will not carry a card which is tied to a cash account.

I carry and use just one credit card, and pay its balance in full each month. No interest accrues.

It could happen just as easily with a credit card. If it's stolen, it will be maxed out before you ever get a statment.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Tatt - You should take something for that cough :). Had an account there once famous for no service.

AC