"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
Master Chef

It is doggone cold outside today

When I was a kid, I would go outside with my best freind on a cold winter Saturday and head straight for the sand pits. The slopes were long, steep, and covered in fresh, powdery snow. The first run would plow snow out of the way. The next runs would pack it down. Then it was go as fast as gravity would accelerate you to, which was so fast that you weren't stopping until you got to the bottom, even if you bailed off of the plastic tobbogan.

That first run, when you were plowing snow, would blast snow at your body and make your whole face hurt, litterally. It would just make your cheeks and forhead ache. Your lips would quit working right and you began to talk a little funny. Then everything woudl go numb and you'd be good for the day.

Today, walking a short twenty yards or so, accross an open parking lot, my face began to hurt, like it did when I was a boy on a cold Saturday. The air temp, according to my car's thermometer, was seven degrees F. The wind is howling, throwing snow sideways accross the lot so that it melts instantly on any exposed skin. We have an honest blizzard going on right now, with cold winds and lots of snow. And somehow, when I get home, I have to get up the nerve to shovel my driveway, knowing that about the time I get done, the plow will come by and bury it again. Stupid plow!

When the temperature reads 10, I don't yet feel the cold. At 0, I'm beginning to feel a nip in the air. But a blizzard with 7 degree, blowing snow and air is just cold. So says Chief Longwind of the North.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Master Chef

Don't stick yer tongue on the pump handle!

It's colder outside than a witches *** in a brass brassiere !

It's a three dog night!

What are the cold expressions in your world?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

I usually go to an exercise class; often walking the half mile or so. I looked at the thermometer and saw the wind and .... well, no way. And the temperature has dropped since then. Did force ourselves to get in the car and hit the grocery store, mostly because the Wx channel and CNN and ... well, all are predicting worse in the next few days. So we bought enough to eat & drink for a week or so, picked up my winter dress coat from the cleaners, and bought 2 rolls of "eternity" stamps at the post office, and a couple of condolence cars for friends.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...What are the cold expressions in your world?
I really hate hearing, "Cold enough for you?". It really gets me hot and ignites my sarcasm.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I really hate hearing, "Cold enough for you?". It really gets me hot and ignites my sarcasm.

I understand!

Yesterday a lady came up to me in the grocery store parking lot and started griping about the cold. I told her maybe she should go to Florida so she could complain about the heat. She warmed up fast when I said that! I actually am quite pleased that winter was half over before it finally got started.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The same people who complained about the brown Christmas are now whining about the snow...The only time I complain is when the wind kicks up. Had fun plowing through the knee-deep snow today.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
Admiral of the Texas Navy

It was in the 70s today here. Bit warm in the house tonight and I started up the AC.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
The same people who complained about the brown Christmas are now whining about the snow...The only time I complain is when the wind kicks up. Had fun plowing through the knee-deep snow today.
I really don't like wind either, but it is often windy here. When it is really cold I always say that it might as well snow. Cold without snow is not as fun.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I grew up in Laramie, WY...the wind never stopped.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

It's so cold that when you open the front door the little light above the porch goes on. I brought in the mail. And that's as far as I went today.

It's true. When I was little this would have been nothing. It was above zero during the day. No wind. In grade school we walked to school ( and now that I am reminded, it was uphill both ways ). And we couldn't wait to get home after so we could go sliding or skating while there was still daylight.

Later on, I had morning paper route and my younger brother had afternoon paper route. Sometimes we helped each other, in the winter especially, so we could get deliveries made faster. Bro saved all his nicklel and dime tips and bought a NEW car at age 16. I think I got my first stereo and never saved, well, except what our parents made us put in our college savings.