It is doggone cold outside today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
When I was a kid, I would go outside with my best freind on a cold winter Saturday and head straight for the sand pits. The slopes were long, steep, and covered in fresh, powdery snow. The first run would plow snow out of the way. The next runs would pack it down. Then it was go as fast as gravity would accelerate you to, which was so fast that you weren't stopping until you got to the bottom, even if you bailed off of the plastic tobbogan.

That first run, when you were plowing snow, would blast snow at your body and make your whole face hurt, litterally. It would just make your cheeks and forhead ache. Your lips would quit working right and you began to talk a little funny. Then everything woudl go numb and you'd be good for the day.

Today, walking a short twenty yards or so, accross an open parking lot, my face began to hurt, like it did when I was a boy on a cold Saturday. The air temp, according to my car's thermometer, was seven degrees F. The wind is howling, throwing snow sideways accross the lot so that it melts instantly on any exposed skin. We have an honest blizzard going on right now, with cold winds and lots of snow. And somehow, when I get home, I have to get up the nerve to shovel my driveway, knowing that about the time I get done, the plow will come by and bury it again.:angry: Stupid plow!

When the temperature reads 10, I don't yet feel the cold. At 0, I'm beginning to feel a nip in the air. But a blizzard with 7 degree, blowing snow and air is just cold. So says Chief Longwind of the North.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Don't stick yer tongue on the pump handle!

It's colder outside than a witches *** in a brass brassiere !

It's a three dog night!

What are the cold expressions in your world?

I usually go to an exercise class; often walking the half mile or so. I looked at the thermometer and saw the wind and .... well, no way. And the temperature has dropped since then. Did force ourselves to get in the car and hit the grocery store, mostly because the Wx channel and CNN and ... well, all are predicting worse in the next few days. So we bought enough to eat & drink for a week or so, picked up my winter dress coat from the cleaners, and bought 2 rolls of "eternity" stamps at the post office, and a couple of condolence cars for friends.

I really hate hearing, "Cold enough for you?". It really gets me hot and ignites my sarcasm.

I understand!

Yesterday a lady came up to me in the grocery store parking lot and started griping about the cold. I told her maybe she should go to Florida so she could complain about the heat. She warmed up fast when I said that! :ermm::ohmy::LOL: I actually am quite pleased that winter was half over before it finally got started.

The same people who complained about the brown Christmas are now whining about the snow...The only time I complain is when the wind kicks up. Had fun plowing through the knee-deep snow today.

PrincessFiona60 said:
The same people who complained about the brown Christmas are now whining about the snow...The only time I complain is when the wind kicks up. Had fun plowing through the knee-deep snow today.

I really don't like wind either, but it is often windy here. When it is really cold I always say that it might as well snow. Cold without snow is not as fun.

It's so cold that when you open the front door the little light above the porch goes on. I brought in the mail. And that's as far as I went today.

It's true. When I was little this would have been nothing. It was above zero during the day. No wind. In grade school we walked to school ( and now that I am reminded, it was uphill both ways :ROFLMAO:). And we couldn't wait to get home after so we could go sliding or skating while there was still daylight.

Later on, I had morning paper route and my younger brother had afternoon paper route. Sometimes we helped each other, in the winter especially, so we could get deliveries made faster. Bro saved all his nicklel and dime tips and bought a NEW car at age 16. I think I got my first stereo and never saved, well, except what our parents made us put in our college savings.

Growing up in Maine I remember the sand pit sledding quite well.

After moving to NC I have turned into kind of a wimp, I can't deal with the cold anymore. 30 degrees during the day and I ain't going to stay outside very long.

I grew up on the upper east coast of North Dakota. What cold? We had -100 at one time with windchill!

Froze your eyebrows off. Fashionably accessorized Airforce parkas.

I grew up on the upper east coast of North Dakota. What cold? We had -100 at one time with windchill!

Froze your eyebrows off. Fashionably accessorized Airforce parkas.

Hmm. We were siblings in a former life. I definitely remember a winter like that. I was stationed at Finley AFS, and we were not allowed to leave the station without our parkas, bunny boots,quilted pants, etc. For good reason. I was even issued a face mask that was lined with fur and had nylon in the front. Really scary looking. I actually lived in a trailer that was so leaky, we were happy when the snow and ice moved into the cracks and created a seal. That particular winter (I went through 3 of them, but this was the worst), the entire trailer was rocking, we had the heat on non-stop, had pots on all burners of the stove with pots of water boiling. Couldn't turn the water off in the bathroom or kitchen, it would have frozen. I never before or since hear electrical wires "sing".

Oh, by the way, I still occaisionally run into people who tell me they don't believe in wind chill. Obviously no one from North Dakota. Our joke was that when we left our assignment, we were heading south until someone asked us why we had an electrical plug dangling from the front of our car.

Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

Do you know where that one comes from? You probably do, but for those who don't, a brass monkey (don't ask me why) is a metalic triangle that looks sort of like the one on a pool table. Cannon balls are stacked on them in a sort of pyramid. When it gets really cold, the metal of the "monkey", the triangle, contracts faster than the balls. And, yes, the balls pop off of the monkey.

Weird the things you learn in the military. Haha.

Do you know where that one comes from? You probably do, but for those who don't, a brass monkey (don't ask me why) is a metalic triangle that looks sort of like the one on a pool table. Cannon balls are stacked on them in a sort of pyramid. When it gets really cold, the metal of the "monkey", the triangle, contracts faster than the balls. And, yes, the balls pop off of the monkey.

Weird the things you learn in the military. Haha.

That's what I heard too, but I googled it and it seems to be an urban legend. snopes.com: Brass Monkeys & Brass monkey (colloquial expression) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I prefer Claire's version.

Hmm. We were siblings in a former life. I definitely remember a winter like that. I was stationed at Finley AFS, and we were not allowed to leave the station without our parkas, bunny boots,quilted pants, etc. For good reason. I was even issued a face mask that was lined with fur and had nylon in the front. Really scary looking. I actually lived in a trailer that was so leaky, we were happy when the snow and ice moved into the cracks and created a seal. That particular winter (I went through 3 of them, but this was the worst), the entire trailer was rocking, we had the heat on non-stop, had pots on all burners of the stove with pots of water boiling. Couldn't turn the water off in the bathroom or kitchen, it would have frozen. I never before or since hear electrical wires "sing".

Your comment reminds me of growing up in a drafty old farmhouse. My Grandmother would leave the kitchen sink cupboard doors open and the water running a small stream to keep it from freezing! The house had no central heating on the second floor only registers cut into the floor so the heat could drift up to the bedrooms from downstairs. In the morning we would run down and stand on the hot air registers to warm up. No one minded because everyone we knew lived the same way.

It's all relative. Our daughter and son who live in Florida call to complain about how cold it is there. We have little sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom