"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Itís a combination of sad, frustrating and hopeful.

Iím here for the food. (to paraphrase Alton Brown)

I love to eat and I love to cook. The flavors, textures, aromas and images of different kinds of foods are a treasure to me. This is why I cannot answer the, ďWhatís your favoriteÖĒ questions that others post. Choosing one excludes all the others.

Biting into a freshly made pulled pork sandwich. Savoring the aromas of a Thanksgiving dinner. The rapture of rich, creamy vanilla bean ice cream melting on your tongue. Savoring a glass of wine that compliments the food youíre eating. These and other pleasures are very important to me. I could go on, the list is long, but you understand.

Now to the sad/frustrating part.

As many of you know, I care for my grandson. Ten hours a day, five days a week. During that time, I feed the guy. If you can call it that! I mix powder with water and he gets the resulting mixture through a silicone nipple. YUCK! Before that he got the real thing from his mom. His entire eating experience to date consists of milk or fortified milk. Have you tasted that powdered stuff?! Is there anyone out there who wants that to be the only eating experience youíve ever known? Not a chance!

The good news

Yeah, I know, pretty soon heíll start eating semi-solid and solid foods. Eventually, heíll be eating everything. I canít wait!

Iíve already started letting him smell herbs and spices to get some flavors into his brain. Iím hoping to develop in him, a liking for a wide range of flavors and a willingness to try new stuff. It will have to be me who does it. His mom thinks the stove is a decoration and his dad dislikes so many different foods that are basic to good cooking that he wonít help much.

It starts with rice cereal and Cheerios on the high chair and from there, the whole world awaits. His first ice cream, pizza, sushi, egg roll, BBQ, fried chicken, pot roast, pad Thai, shish kebab, hot dog, ribsÖ

Öand late, we get to cook together. Are you hungry? Here are some ingredients. Make something.

If I fail, heíll grow up believing Oodles of Noodles soup is a treat.

If I am successful, you can save a space on Discuss Cooking for a new foodie in a few years.

It canít start soon enough for me.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You're a good grandpa, Andy. I'm sorry the little guy isn't still nourished by mommy. I was lucky to "provide" for all of my children for a year for almost all of them.

When they were introduced to "real" food, I made/processed the same foods their father and I ate, but with milder seasonings, obviously. Never had commercial baby food. My blender was pressed into service constantly.

They ate a wide variety of foods. As a result, I hope that's the reason, they all eat almost anything that is put in front of them. They're big people now. The oldest will be 37 this year. The youngest 34.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

She was at home for 12 weeks with the little one but had to give it up to get back to work. Sadly the economic realities intervene.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sorry to hear that. Somehow, I was able to accommodate. Pump, freeze, etc. so my young 'uns didn't have do eat supplements. That was "back in the day." I would imagine there have been improvements in techniques.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Head Chef

You are in for an exciting time, Andy M. I can't wait for grandkids. I keep telling my son and his wife to get busy, that I am not getting any younger.

Silly boy says, "Mom, we really think we should wait til one of us has a REAL job."

Kids. What can you do with them?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Take heart Andy,
The little guy, is getting what he needs in his formula as awful as it smells and and looks, the best part for him though is having his "Pa" (you) holding and loving him as he dines.. With my grandkids, I have two who dig right in to anything I offer, and 1 how has ealized that in his competition with his cousin Olivia, he has taken to eating what I offer just to keep her from getting it The oldest, is one of those kids who eats to live, could care less is fussy fussy..He's coming around now though. I just had to lean on his dad about going YUK at things so the kid didn't do that to.
Your little guy is going to love Pa Andy's cooking. I know we are told to wait til a certain age to feed them, but, with my kids and the grand kids, they started rice cereal and bananas at a few weeks old. It was that or they would scream for hours. Being big babies at birth, their doc said feed um and I did...With the grand kids we just started them off and Now it's a pleasure on sundays to have them here. Ethan and Olivia, will run to their chairs and climb up to eat, not stopping til plate is clean..The other two are gaining ground..Wait til your little guy's eyes light up when you tell him your making a favorite of his,wait til he begs to help you Pa Let me tell you your heart will swell and almost jump from your chest..
These pleasures are now waiting for you..

kadesma
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

kadesma, thanks for the wonderful images of what I have to look forward to.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Head Chef

Andy, mate, you are an ambitious man.

Cheers.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Before he even gets to the real food, your little grandson has the greates gift of all, a loving, generous spirited and adventurous Grand Father. The time will just fly by and you and he will be cooking together and loving every last bit of it. I'm sure you don't need any help at all but if you do, take a look at Annabel Karmel's recipes which go from new baby through toddler to young child etc. They are really tasty. Our daughter used them a great deal; Not just for her daughter either!

Annabel Karmel
Old 05-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I`m Soooo with ya there, my daughter was back home from brand new, a week and a half old and had a lick of some tomato/chili sauce (very very mild) off my finger and loved it :)

now she`ll eat chili and thai curry, fajitas, roast beef or pork... anything that I cook basicly and loves it, other than Chocolate, you just Try and give her "Junk" and she doesn`t like it :)
and other than white flour tortilla wraps and bagels, she`s never even tried White bread.

she isn`t even 2 years old yet! :D

Andy.M, if I can do it, I`m more than sure YOU can! :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote