Italian Greyhounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Anyone here have any experience with this breed? Our local Safe Haven shelter has an 8 month old, and I'm considering applying for her. I called and looked her up, and in many ways she seems ideal. BUT I am hesitant. I have a 4' (actually I suspect not quite that high) picket fence that has been terrier-proofed (my last two dogs were Jack Russell mixes); that is to say, wire fencing from the bottom of the fence into the ground to prevent digging under. My biggest hesitation is that she could jump it (the terriers didn't do "jump"). I don't want a doggie I have to tie up in the yard (trust me, the fence was expensive). Has anyone had one? I haven't gone on line about the breed yet, and since it is an animal shelter, perhaps someone simply said that's what she looks like (one of my JR mutts looked like an Italian greyhound, just not as skinny). I looked into her early last week, and when I looked yesterday, she's still up for adoption. Is she the doggie for me?

Italian Greyhounds are sighthounds, which means if something catches their eye, they are going after it. And you will not catch them. They are very fast and very agile. They do not seem to have the layed back personality of a full sized Greyhound either, but if you've had JRTs, you should be fine. Your biggest concern is the 4' fence. Four feet is at least 2' too short. I have seen an IG about 4" shy from getting over a 6' fence. They are also not considered a good breed to have around young children (not sure of your family situation).

I don't know if you'll find any different info if you do a search, but I believe they are also called whippets.

Craig

They do have fragile bones--I've known IGs that have broken a leg falling off the couch. They also need to be "coated" in the winter. I would think a 4 ft. fence would be sufficient, but the rescue organization would know. Very sweet dogs.

Yes, the Whippet is a different breed.
And a 4' fence would not be sufficient for them either. Really, aside from toy breeds, 4' fences are only good for well trained dogs and keeping people on the other side.

Hey, I can jump a 4-foot fence! Well, I could fall over a 4-foot fence.

Are you saying your as agile and spry as an Italian Greyhound?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I could fall over one, too, but if I tried to climb it I might not make it :LOL:

Let me rephrase, 4' fences are only good for setting boundries ;)

Well, you all confirmed my fears. Oh, well. No, my JRs never tried to get over the fence. I think Keiki could have if she'd wanted to. WF could not have gone over the fence on a bet (a stubby JR). I'm still considering her, just with the knowledge that we'd have to tie her. Whippets, by the way, are considerably taller than Italians. Somewhere in between a full greyhound and an Italian. When you look at prints from the 1920s, often there's a thin woman in furs with a brace of whippets. Italians are considerably smaller (the dog I'm considering is 14 1/2 lbs at 8 mos old, in other words, almost fully grown).

Well, I gave in and applied to Safe Haven for the dog. She is NOT an Italian Greyhound. Definitely Heinz 57. (and, unfortunately, yes, she could easily jump the fence). It was rather funny. Safe Haven requires two references and the name of a vet before you can adopt. My first two references happened to not be home when they called, so I gave several more. By the time we got to the shelter to pick her up then got her home, my neighbor was waiting to meet her. Then when I called "my" vet (now you have to realize my last dog was put down 2 years ago), they said just to bring by her paperwork, they know who she is and will sell me the Heartguard and Frontline based on her exam. (I think the dozen or two vets in the county probably take turns caring for the Safe Haven animals) That's small town life for you!

My husband has always wanted to name a dog Rosebud (yes, from the movie), so I let him have his way on this one. At 8 mos old she really had never been named, just by humane society people; didn't answer to a name. So Rosie or Buddy it is.

My husband has always wanted to name a dog Rosebud (yes, from the movie), so I let him have his way on this one. At 8 mos old she really had never been named, just by humane society people; didn't answer to a name. So Rosie or Buddy it is.

How sweet. Hugs and doggie treats for your Rosie!

Back
Top Bottom