"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
Master Chef

Our other dog (seen pictured at left) burst a disc and was paralyzed in March. He had surgery and is back walking like a drunken sailor. BUT, shortly after the surgery he started licking his back left paw and then, when we were gone, he knawed part of it off! The scene was like something out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Seriously.

The vet said his paw probably hurt him or was numb from his back problem. He had to wear a "lampshade" for a few months (still wears one when not supervised).

Vet said licking can be signs of pain or other neurological issues.

Read more about licking

Old 08-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Shock

Boy, is that sad! What a little cutie you have. Does he have ear problems too? Say dogs w/long ears tend to have trouble.

What your vet said really bothers me. Sign of pain or some stress. Poor little guy. I only wish the vet could explain more. He is kind of q uiet guy and I know he loves the dogs but only answers questions and doesn't ever give opinion. Guess you like your vet after he helped your little one. Aren't they just so precious? I just don't like to think of them having problems that I can't help. thanks so much for sharing. give your friend a big hug for me.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I To Have A SHIH TZU With The Same Problem, I Use Benedryl, A Coat Supplement Called "in" And I Have Him Groomed Once A Month...
Old 08-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

You might try using the spray again but then covering up his paws with baby socks for a while (until it can "soak" in). Also, try the bone suggestion ... if he likes peanut butter, slather it up and let him go to town to distract him from his feet since I'm sure he won't like the socks. I wonder if one of the oatmeal creams would work and then, if he licked it off, it wouldn't be as bad as they tend to be more "all natural". Poor puppy ...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #15
Executive Chef

hallelujah

Didn't want anyone to be staying up worrying about my dog's paws! Just got back from the vet. He said he has injection that will relieve his problem by timed release method which should last for about month. I questioned him about steroids that I surely didn't want the dog to have anything wi th strong side effects. He said it shouldn't. I wonder if they really know for sure about these things. Anyways the dog is relaxed and quiet now. Uh oh, I just looked over and she was licking her paw. What is it with them? I personally think she has habit of doing that. I know it hasn't been as int ense so far that she wants to bite his paws off.

The other dog has her blood checked for the diabetes and he was so pleased that her reading was wonderful. He said first time in long time for that. Don't know what causes all t hese problems and shame they can't let you know what is bothering them. The office is so full w/animals. Each and everyone has something wrong. All different. I truly do like being in that office and seeing how the people love their animals. One even had a white mouse. The vet did invest in machine that lets him know almost immediately t he blood sugar level. Otherwise waited for 20-25 minutes. He told me his own dog now has diabet es.

So I guess you will know if something else occurs cause I do apprecia te your t ime and suggest ions. YOu are impor tant in our lives and we thank you all for caring for us. To be well fed and relaxing is the best thing in life. Give you precious friends a hug from all of us. And thanks again.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #16
Master Chef

Good luck, ITK. Hope the shot helps.

Schnitzel's ears are ok. He's 15 1/2 and still going strong, but for his back problems. His foot is all healed now too.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Good luck, ITK. Hope the shot helps.

Schnitzel's ears are ok. He's 15 1/2 and still going strong, but for his back problems. His foot is all healed now too.
jennyema when I read your comment about your Schnitzel it made me cry. I am such a softee when it comes to animals. I am so thankful he doing good. I just love them so much, maybe too much. Thanks for your thoughts.