Itchy Paws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
I have a little shi ztu that is constantly bothered every year w/biting his paws. The vet was giving him steroid shots and another vet told me to stop them due to affect on liver. I try to put things on them but he licks it off all the time. To hear him doing this is annoying and frustrating. I have tried to change the diet in the past and didn't work. The vets all say he is allergic to grass. I don't understand why they can't help him other than shots? anyone have dog w/similar problem? Bet I am the only one who has odd problems!
Oh, thanks for your time and understanding. The other dog doesn't seem to bother her w/that constant noise.

Maybe get some of those little booties for his paws. That way they are protected from touching the grass. Strange case and in most cases, a diet change will help. But if he is allergic to grass, then another solution is to get some astro turf. :huh:

One of our Pugs is allergic to grass too but it affects his front leg-pits (?) must be from laying in the soft grass. Trick is to keep it mowed - our Vet says its the grass seed or pollen. We give him benadryl too, and the vet gives us a spray - can't think of the name now, but it helps.

I baby sit a shi tzu dog who has the identical problem, she licks and licks and licks her front paws and sometimes her back paws. It is quite noisy. This dog has allergies but I do not know what to. She is 11 years old and was on Prednisone, which I believe is a streiod. She was eventually taken off it due to liver concerns. Now we give her 25 mg. of Benedryl when she is really itchy.

Both of my dogs have this. One of them also has it in her pit. My golden will lick her front paw pads raw. We thought it was bugs since we hadn't sprayed the yard in a month. Wonder why it would be worse on her front paws than the back?

I'll have to check with the vet to see how much benedryl they can have.

Gosh this site is a 'One Stop' Shop for information.:ROFLMAO:

Relate

You can all relate to this problem. When we want to go to bed it is so noisy. I have put him in the tub numerous times, tried benedryl, had the shots, put medicine on them, all w/no change. I feel sorry that he is having this trouble. He just can't relax. Oh, he also has history of ear problems, may be why he is deaf. When we first found out was so sad. I think the vet cleaned his ears too deep but who can know how this happens. Such a little guy and in such misery. I will give the benedryl again. Better than the steroid. I think it was Prednisone (sp). When he finally gets to sleep I hesitate making noise to bother him. Just like having baby here.

I do so appreciate your comments. Only breaks my heart to know our little friends have to be so miserable. Thanks for your suggestions and sharing your comments.

I've used lanocaine spray on them and it seemed to give some relief.

Half Baked

I too have tried this and they lick it right off. I am worried about him getting some kind of illness from ingested medicine. I am giving him Benedryl since yest erday and hope it works. So far nothing but I guess it has to have time. Times he can hardly walk on his paws.

Our other dog (seen pictured at left) burst a disc and was paralyzed in March. He had surgery and is back walking like a drunken sailor. BUT, shortly after the surgery he started licking his back left paw and then, when we were gone, he knawed part of it off! The scene was like something out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Seriously.

The vet said his paw probably hurt him or was numb from his back problem. He had to wear a "lampshade" for a few months (still wears one when not supervised).

Vet said licking can be signs of pain or other neurological issues.

Read more about licking

Shock

Boy, is that sad! What a little cutie you have. Does he have ear problems too? Say dogs w/long ears tend to have trouble.

What your vet said really bothers me. Sign of pain or some stress. Poor little guy. I only wish the vet could explain more. He is kind of q uiet guy and I know he loves the dogs but only answers questions and doesn't ever give opinion. Guess you like your vet after he helped your little one. Aren't they just so precious? I just don't like to think of them having problems that I can't help. thanks so much for sharing. give your friend a big hug for me.

I To Have A SHIH TZU With The Same Problem, I Use Benedryl, A Coat Supplement Called "in" And I Have Him Groomed Once A Month...

You might try using the spray again but then covering up his paws with baby socks for a while (until it can "soak" in). Also, try the bone suggestion ... if he likes peanut butter, slather it up and let him go to town to distract him from his feet since I'm sure he won't like the socks. I wonder if one of the oatmeal creams would work and then, if he licked it off, it wouldn't be as bad as they tend to be more "all natural". Poor puppy ...

hallelujah

Didn't want anyone to be staying up worrying about my dog's paws! Just got back from the vet. He said he has injection that will relieve his problem by timed release method which should last for about month. I questioned him about steroids that I surely didn't want the dog to have anything wi th strong side effects. He said it shouldn't. I wonder if they really know for sure about these things. Anyways the dog is relaxed and quiet now. Uh oh, I just looked over and she was licking her paw. What is it with them? I personally think she has habit of doing that. I know it hasn't been as int ense so far that she wants to bite his paws off.

The other dog has her blood checked for the diabetes and he was so pleased that her reading was wonderful. He said first time in long time for that. Don't know what causes all t hese problems and shame they can't let you know what is bothering them. The office is so full w/animals. Each and everyone has something wrong. All different. I truly do like being in that office and seeing how the people love their animals. One even had a white mouse. The vet did invest in machine that lets him know almost immediately t he blood sugar level. Otherwise waited for 20-25 minutes. He told me his own dog now has diabet es.

So I guess you will know if something else occurs cause I do apprecia te your t ime and suggest ions. YOu are impor tant in our lives and we thank you all for caring for us. To be well fed and relaxing is the best thing in life. Give you precious friends a hug from all of us. And thanks again.

Good luck, ITK. Hope the shot helps.

Schnitzel's ears are ok. He's 15 1/2 and still going strong, but for his back problems. His foot is all healed now too.

Moved

jennyema said:
Good luck, ITK. Hope the shot helps.

Schnitzel's ears are ok. He's 15 1/2 and still going strong, but for his back problems. His foot is all healed now too.

jennyema when I read your comment about your Schnitzel it made me cry. I am such a softee when it comes to animals. I am so thankful he doing good. I just love them so much, maybe too much. Thanks for your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom