It's berry season! Too much of a good thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
My brother went to U-pick blueberries, raspberries & black berries. He gave me two flats of berries. It's great having farm picked berries,but today is too much of a good thing. The guys in my household don't eat much fresh frut and I can only eat so much. So to use them up so they don't spoil, in the last 24 hours, I've made a raspberry coffee cake, 2 blueberry pies & a blackberry pie. MAN, am I tired!:wacko: I'll post pictures later, for now, off to take a nap while the last pie cooks.

I froze a couple of the blueberries, I had the most of those. I was a bit hesitant to freeze them because I saw a Alton Brown show where he talked about freezing berries and I remember it saying that to do it to yield be best taste it should be frozen very quickly...he used dry ice. It was a good way for me to play with pies. My first time making a pie with a lattice top.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of what I made...

Emeril's Raspberry Coffe Cake

Blueberry Pie

Blackberry Pie

They look so yummy! Especially the blueberry pie!

May I ask you which recipe you used for the blackberry pie? We have an over abundance of them later in August and I'm always on the look for new recipes...

Very berry yummy!!:w00t2: Personally it is hard to imagine having TOO MUCH of berries, bring them over here if you don't know what to do with them!!:ROFLMAO:

Well, seriously, as Middie suggested just pack them well and freeze the extras, they freeze perfectly. Also making jams and fruit sauces are another good way to enjoy them for an extended period of time. (oh and don't forget ice cream, if you have the tool for it...)

I would be more than happy to help you finish up those cakes and pies if you lived a little closer...:-p

htc, the pics look lovely. You're a berry lucky gal. :) I would like to pick berries & such. Will have to see if there's a u-pick in my neck of the woods. Thanks for all the good info.

I clicked on one of the pics to see a larger view, another screen came up, & spyware started downloading on my puter. Had to run a scan. Don't know what happened. Is it my puter?

When we lived in CA, we used to go to a grocery wholesaler and buy a flat of strawberries. We ate what we could and then made the rest into freezer jam. Although it's really high in sugar, it's delicious and so fresh tasting. The recipe is on the pectin package.

They all look fabulous htc! Freezing the berries would be a great idea. I'd also prepare some of your desserts, without baking, and freeze them too. BTW, frozen berries make delicious smoothies.

Tartine! I love your photo gallery. Do you make all that yourself?

Thanks for all the nice words about my pies. :)

Mish, I've used image Shack often (recommended by another DC member) I have never had any thing pop up and download on my machine. Could it be something else triggering it? Sorry couldn't be of more help.

I find this time of year quite hard going.
We have a very productive vegetable garden, and in the last few days I feel to have done nothing but harvest, freeze and make jam. It's what we work for all year long, but it can be exhausting particularly as it all seems to need doing at once. On Saturday I picked and cleaned 6lb of blackcurrants and made them into 13 jars of jam. It took me almost 7 hours from start to finish. I was shattered, and what a lot of washing up. I began to doubt the sense of it all, but felt a lot better after a good nights sleep.

Cobblers are always a quick and easy way to use up your berries!
Also, you can use a lot less sugar, and if you need it sweetened, serve a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.

Back
Top Bottom