"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Head Chef

It's berry season! Too much of a good thing

My brother went to U-pick blueberries, raspberries & black berries. He gave me two flats of berries. It's great having farm picked berries,but today is too much of a good thing. The guys in my household don't eat much fresh frut and I can only eat so much. So to use them up so they don't spoil, in the last 24 hours, I've made a raspberry coffee cake, 2 blueberry pies & a blackberry pie. MAN, am I tired! I'll post pictures later, for now, off to take a nap while the last pie cooks.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
htc why didn't you freeze some of them ?

Old 07-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
Head Chef

I froze a couple of the blueberries, I had the most of those. I was a bit hesitant to freeze them because I saw a Alton Brown show where he talked about freezing berries and I remember it saying that to do it to yield be best taste it should be frozen very quickly...he used dry ice. It was a good way for me to play with pies. My first time making a pie with a lattice top.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of what I made...

Emeril's Raspberry Coffe Cake

Blueberry Pie

Blackberry Pie

Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

They look so yummy! Especially the blueberry pie!

May I ask you which recipe you used for the blackberry pie? We have an over abundance of them later in August and I'm always on the look for new recipes...
Old 07-10-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Head Chef

Very nice looking deserts. Go ahead and freeze the berries, they still make great pies and other deserts.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Very berry yummy!! Personally it is hard to imagine having TOO MUCH of berries, bring them over here if you don't know what to do with them!!

Well, seriously, as Middie suggested just pack them well and freeze the extras, they freeze perfectly. Also making jams and fruit sauces are another good way to enjoy them for an extended period of time. (oh and don't forget ice cream, if you have the tool for it...)

I would be more than happy to help you finish up those cakes and pies if you lived a little closer...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

htc, the pics look lovely. You're a berry lucky gal. I would like to pick berries & such. Will have to see if there's a u-pick in my neck of the woods. Thanks for all the good info.

I clicked on one of the pics to see a larger view, another screen came up, & spyware started downloading on my puter. Had to run a scan. Don't know what happened. Is it my puter?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
When we lived in CA, we used to go to a grocery wholesaler and buy a flat of strawberries. We ate what we could and then made the rest into freezer jam. Although it's really high in sugar, it's delicious and so fresh tasting. The recipe is on the pectin package.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
They all look fabulous htc! Freezing the berries would be a great idea. I'd also prepare some of your desserts, without baking, and freeze them too. BTW, frozen berries make delicious smoothies.

Tartine! I love your photo gallery. Do you make all that yourself?
Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks for all the nice words about my pies.

Mish, I've used image Shack often (recommended by another DC member) I have never had any thing pop up and download on my machine. Could it be something else triggering it? Sorry couldn't be of more help.