"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
You know it is cold out when the temperature is not gauged by degrees, but by how quickly the stuff in your nose freezes!

LOL!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
FYI, it is still 12 below zero air temp here, but the wind chill has dropped to 35 below zero . . . . . frostbite occurs in under 10 minutes at that temp!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I think we're still at -18 wind chill. The wind is howling. People from warmer climates can't quite grasp the concept, but when they include warnings on the local newscasts not to go outside unless it's absolutely necessary, that's serious. I know I have some residual effects from frostbite over the years. Now it's hard to go out in temps like this without almost immediate aching in the ring and little fingers on each hand. I know a lot of men have ears that have been "nipped" over the years from short haircuts too. The tolerance afterward is much decreased.

BC
Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
It's that global warming stuff that is making us all shiver this weekend.
you're quite correct.

the earth, or should i say the environment, reacts with relatively large, seemingly illogical swings in weather patterns when disturbed. and boy, are we poking at it with greenhouse gasses.

there's been some really good shows on the weather lately. did you know mary shelley wrote "frankenstein" when challenged by byron, along with a friend and her hubby percy, to write a ghost story? it was during the "year without a summer", when a period called the little ice age was coming to an end. volcanic eruptions around the planet, reduced solar energy and earth's reflectivity, and something called the milankovitch theory during that time caused global temps to drop. it was so gloomy and cold all summer that she was inspired to write the great story.
it's also the reason why the famous picture of george washington crossing the delaware is accurate. it was during the little ice age, so the depiction of ol' george's boat crossing a frozen delaware river (boo boop dee doo) to attack a bunch of drunken german's kissing under the mistletoe is spot on. when was the last time the delaware had ice floes that far south?

check it, check it, check it out. the history channel, discovery channel, and pbs rocks!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

just got back from some sled riding, gawd was that invigorating .

For those of us with older butts, here is a picture of a very kind sled, very steerable and the butt does not bounce on the ground. It is hollow, great invention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleds12 (2).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	2417  
Old 02-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I put bread crumbs and a bowl of water out for the birds. And 'yes' I know the water shall freeze. I'll just replace it. I live in an apartment and I put the stuff on my balcony.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
Head Chef

When we lived in Chicago we could tell how cold it was by the sound the snow made when you walked on it.

And by the inelegant, but incontrovertible, index to which Big Dog referred, namely the frozen booger index.

Now live in VA and people gripe when it is in the twenties.

And when we lived in FL, people were wearing fur coats when the mercury hit fifty.

I guess everything is relative.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Geez! Compared to you guys, it's freaking summer here at 18. I think I'll have a picnic and fly a kite. As far as global warming goes, I'll go outside and cut the exhaust pipe in front of the catalytic converter and let the truck idle all weekend if it helps warm things up!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Damp I'll donate a saw. Go, go GO global warming!
Old 02-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Damp I'll donate a saw. Go, go GO global warming!
NOW we're talking! I'll dump a quart of 5w-30 in the tank to add some extra smoky goodness!

As an aside, I've noticed that The Old Farmer's Almanac has been pretty accurate for the Ohio Valley so far this year. They predicted relatively warm and rainy for the first half of January (check) and cold and snowy for the last half of January (check.) Cold and snowy for the first week of February (check, so far) warming towards the middle of the month and then a snow storm at the end. We shall see!