Its Cold Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same here Sush! Temp is 14 degrees but with the winds at 25-35 mph it feels like -6 degrees according to yahoo. I'll take their word for it because I have no intention on stepping outdoors. Suppose to get a few snow showers and low of -2 degrees.
Monday is only suppose to be a High of 7 and Low of Zero. The school sent home a note Friday and said Monday school will be delayed for 2 hours because of the impending cold weather.

And people think it is cold in Canada....

I thought it was cold here but it is -11C (12F), I don't feel so bad anymore.
;)

Well.. I just got back from an Ice Fishing tournament.. It was -7 degress, and about -30 with the wind chill.. Wasn't the brightest of moves that I've ever made, but it was fun.. And my new Elmer Fudd hat actually kept me quite cold!

Tonite the low is -15 actual.. Should be nice and expensive when the next heating bill comes.. The wind chill should be around -40 to -50 is what they're saying!

I guess it'll be a good night to stay in doors.. :)

-Brad

It's 1 degree right now. Low's of 3 below 0. Factor in the windchill and we're looking at 15-20 below zero tonight. Tomorrow it's supposed to be a whole whopping 7 degrees for our high.

candelbc said:
Tonite the low is -15 actual.. Should be nice and expensive when the next heating bill comes.. The wind chill should be around -40 to -50 is what they're saying!

I guess it'll be a good night to stay in doors.. :)

-Brad

Ditto here!

This morning it is -15. That's before wind chill. A relative once told us that he didn't believe in wind chill. My husband looked up and said, "I do think that is a ceiling fan? You believe in wind chill or you wouldn't own one." Yay for my husband!

Bright and sunny right now. No wind for a change, thank heavens. Temp has screamed up to 20 degrees F and we received about an inch of snow overnight. Were only supposed to have flurries. It looks pretty though since it covered up all the black yuck our roads and yards had turned into over the last several weeks.

I'm not even going to bother. You folks have it way colder than I do.

For you good people in minus degrees territory, has anybody tried the boiling water trick yet?

CharlieD said:
Oh, common Big Dog, it was not that cold, it was like -5, maybe -7, but not -12, for sure.:LOL:

I'm just reciting what the pros were saying.

We're 15 below air temp with 40 below windchills now in the outer south metro.

DampCharcoal said:
For you good people in minus degrees territory, has anybody tried the boiling water trick yet?

Takes too long. It's frozen before you get the burner on! :ROFLMAO:

Also, that's assuming it is still in liquid form in your pipes! :LOL:

Boy, a nice hot shower sounds fabulous right now! ;)

Not quite what I meant, BigDog, although that is an interesting point! You're in Minnesota which means that it's about 300 degrees below zero, right? Boil a pot of water, go outside and throw it up in the air (don't burn yourself.) I hear it's quite a show. I'm gonna try it myself when we get into negative digits tomorrow!

DampCharcoal said:
Not quite what I meant, BigDog, although that is an interesting point! You're in Minnesota which means that it's about 300 degrees below zero, right? Boil a pot of water, go outside and throw it up in the air (don't burn yourself.) I hear it's quite a show. I'm gonna try it myself when we get into negative digits tomorrow!

This is true! If you throw a hot cup of Coffee in the air, it'll freeze into little drops of frozen coffee before it hits the ground.. If you're crazy enough to try it, blowing bubbles with Dish Soap is cool too.. They turn into little crystal balls that shatter like glass when touched..

-Brad

Our thermometer read -9 this A.M and that did not factor in the wind chill effect. Right now it is reading -3 and the wind is still blowing. Thank God there was no particular place we had to go to today-- just nice to stay inside and thankful for the warmth.

candelbc said:
This is true! If you throw a hot cup of Coffee in the air, it'll freeze into little drops of frozen coffee before it hits the ground.. If you're crazy enough to try it, blowing bubbles with Dish Soap is cool too.. They turn into little crystal balls that shatter like glass when touched..

-Brad

It stinks that the coolest experiments always have the biggest demands, namely in this instance going outside.

As G.H.W. Bush would say "not gonna do it. Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture!" :LOL:

C'mon people. You can't let this little cold-snap get you down. Several years back, but not that long ago (maybe 5 years), we had sub-zero temps here in Sault Ste. Marie for 2 months straight. We had frost go so deep into the ground that it burst water mains and sewers that were burried 4 feet deep. And my car started at -40. That's the coldest temp. I've personally experienced. We had -20 and below for days at a time that year. It hardly slowed us down at all.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, you really don't need a block or radiator heater to keep your car starting in the very cold weather. That year with the 2 months of sub zero weather, many cars refused to start. I never had trouble with mine because I know something about batteries. I learned the info from working at a battery shop that sold all types for industrial use.

A client contacted us, requesting a battery pack that would start the company vehicles in - 50 degree weather. Our company's owner explained to the client that the chemical reactions that cause a battery to produce electricity would not work at that cold a temperature. In fact, lead-acid batteries become useless at -40. So How did I keep my car starting? I went outside every night at midnight, started my car and let it warm up completely. It held enough heat to keep the battery warm enough to start my car in the morning.

One evening, I forgot to start my car. Sure enough, like everyone else's car, mine wouldn't start. I removed the battery, brought it into the house and let it warm up. The outside temperature had not changed byt the time I put the battery back into the car. I turned the key and the engine turned over like it was a warm August day. So, rather than purchasing an expensive block or radiator heater, and paying someone a bunch of cash to install it, purchase an inexpensive heating pat and place it around your car's battery at night. It'll set you back much less money and give you much better results. A secret that the mechanic doesn't want you to know, from me to you.

I've camped out with my son and nephew, and with a group of boys from my church (I was the assistant young men's councillor at the time:mrgreen:) in sub-zero weather on multiple occasions, relying only on a tent and warm sleeping bag at night. We all faired just fine.

This bit of a snap isn't enough to test us yet. Hold your head up. I was out shoveling for about three hours today. The temperature was -7. I got so warm I had to take off my coat and replace it with a light jacket. I did have to keep my mittens on though, and my hat.

If you keep active, and don't let the cold weather slow you down, you really don't notice it. I used to sled in the nearby gravel pits as a kid, until my pants were frozen solid and the cuffs of my mittens were so packed with frozen ice that I couldn't get them off until the ice-ring melted. I never got frostbite from that. But I wasn't sitting still at all.

Now the time I rode a motor-cycle 80 miles on a forty-degree night, with no windshield, I shivered for an hour afterword. I was sitting in a brisk wind, not doing a lot of moving around. See the difference?

Surviving the cold is a matter of using your intelligence, and making the best of it. Cold doesn't have to stop you cold.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I crack myself up sometimes. Feel free to groan at the obvious pun.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom