Its Cold Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Its really cold here in Chicago!
27.gif

48.gif

I hope everyone is staying warm.
22.gif

bethzaring said:
Same here, and it is going to get worse, and I am going to MINNESOTA this week:wacko: :wacko:

LOL! Current temp: 12 BELOW zero!

Current wind chill: 32 BELOW zero!

Through Tuesday, windchill warnings down to 40 BELOW zero!!! :ohmy:

BigDog said:
LOL! Current temp: 12 BELOW zero!

Current wind chill: 32 BELOW zero!

Through Tuesday, windchill warnings down to 40 BELOW zero!!! :ohmy:

Wow! The Chicago area isn't THAT cold - but we're cold. Our wind chill in the suburbs is -18° though - too cold for me.

BC

Its cold here too (northern Kentucky). Its 10 right now with windchill of about -12. Supposed to be very cold for the next 4 days.

Have you seen the commercial for an island vacation? They show a couple on the beach and voice comes on and says "there are places with no wind chill". Gets me EVERY time - I almost picked up the phone to book a trip last time I saw it!

Even though the sun is shining, it's bitter cold. Plus it's very, very windy. The "feels like" temp is about 12 degrees F. It is also supposed to get colder the next several days. I just wish the wind would stop.

It's cold in Lubbock, TX. We had 2"-3" Thursday night. That's to cold for me.. I want springtime to hurry up...

later

Katie E said:
Even though the sun is shining, it's bitter cold. Plus it's very, very windy. The "feels like" temp is about 12 degrees F. It is also supposed to get colder the next several days. I just wish the wind would stop.

It's funny how everything is truly relative. To me, it isn't bitter cold until the skin on my forehead hurts when I step outside. That's around -10, or 5 with a wind chill, and below. Nippy is from about 10 to 5 degrees. From 15 on up, I don't really feel the cold. And when the news comentators suggest that 38 degrees is dangeously cold, well, I've swam in water colder than that, mind you, not for very long.

I really know its cold out when the snow crunches loudly under foot, and I feel a sharp sensation in my nose when I breath in.

My wife on the other hand, well she's bitterly cold at anything below about 45 degrees.

By the way, it's about 2 degrees here in Sault Ste. Marie.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

FYI, it is still 12 below zero air temp here, but the wind chill has dropped to 35 below zero . . . . . frostbite occurs in under 10 minutes at that temp!

I think we're still at -18 wind chill. The wind is howling. People from warmer climates can't quite grasp the concept, but when they include warnings on the local newscasts not to go outside unless it's absolutely necessary, that's serious. I know I have some residual effects from frostbite over the years. Now it's hard to go out in temps like this without almost immediate aching in the ring and little fingers on each hand. I know a lot of men have ears that have been "nipped" over the years from short haircuts too. The tolerance afterward is much decreased.

BC

mudbug said:
It's that global warming stuff that is making us all shiver this weekend.

you're quite correct.

the earth, or should i say the environment, reacts with relatively large, seemingly illogical swings in weather patterns when disturbed. and boy, are we poking at it with greenhouse gasses.

there's been some really good shows on the weather lately. did you know mary shelley wrote "frankenstein" when challenged by byron, along with a friend and her hubby percy, to write a ghost story? it was during the "year without a summer", when a period called the little ice age was coming to an end. volcanic eruptions around the planet, reduced solar energy and earth's reflectivity, and something called the milankovitch theory during that time caused global temps to drop. it was so gloomy and cold all summer that she was inspired to write the great story.
it's also the reason why the famous picture of george washington crossing the delaware is accurate. it was during the little ice age, so the depiction of ol' george's boat crossing a frozen delaware river (boo boop dee doo) to attack a bunch of drunken german's kissing under the mistletoe is spot on. when was the last time the delaware had ice floes that far south?

check it, check it, check it out. the history channel, discovery channel, and pbs rocks!

just got back from some sled riding, gawd was that invigorating:LOL: .

For those of us with older butts, here is a picture of a very kind sled, very steerable and the butt does not bounce on the ground. It is hollow, great invention.

Attachments

• sleds12 (2).JPG
    sleds12 (2).JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 165
I put bread crumbs and a bowl of water out for the birds. And 'yes' I know the water shall freeze. I'll just replace it. I live in an apartment and I put the stuff on my balcony. :rolleyes:

When we lived in Chicago we could tell how cold it was by the sound the snow made when you walked on it.

And by the inelegant, but incontrovertible, index to which Big Dog referred, namely the frozen booger index.

Now live in VA and people gripe when it is in the twenties.

And when we lived in FL, people were wearing fur coats when the mercury hit fifty.

I guess everything is relative.

Geez! Compared to you guys, it's freaking summer here at 18. I think I'll have a picnic and fly a kite. As far as global warming goes, I'll go outside and cut the exhaust pipe in front of the catalytic converter and let the truck idle all weekend if it helps warm things up! :rolleyes:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Damp I'll donate a saw. :rolleyes: Go, go GO global warming!
48.gif

NOW we're talking! I'll dump a quart of 5w-30 in the tank to add some extra smoky goodness! :-p

As an aside, I've noticed that The Old Farmer's Almanac has been pretty accurate for the Ohio Valley so far this year. They predicted relatively warm and rainy for the first half of January (check) and cold and snowy for the last half of January (check.) Cold and snowy for the first week of February (check, so far) warming towards the middle of the month and then a snow storm at the end. We shall see!

Back
Top Bottom