It's official! ~ I become a Pastry Chef on Monday!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We love you too, Chef Ardge.
img_80385_0_8c423bf094765f3bc5b9fb2918e13fbb.gif

ARDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smileyhug.gif

Congratulations my friend!!!!! That is wonderful news. Passion - in my opinion that's what it's all about!! And you have the passion AND the education to go along with it.

I wish you MUCH success in your new endeavor. I know you will be an asset to this organization. I can't wait to hear how your first days were - please keep us posted. I'm very happy for you!

Thank you so much everyone. I really feel great reading all of your posts.

Sunday night was my last night at the bar I worked. My bosses HUGGED me as I left. I kinda feel bad, but this is something I had to do -- MOVE ON.

When I got home, I had a voicemail waiting for me. My start sate was pushed back two days. Wednesday is now the day. Suits me fine. Now I can sleep a bit AND go buy those Birkenstock shoes I've wanted for what seems forever.

http://www.birkenstock.com/brands/alpro/ <--- SA-WEEEET Steppers Yo

RJ

Way to go Ardage, wish I lived near south Chicago to visit the restaurant. It sounds as though you have a wonderful career ahead of you. congrats.

Congratulations ardge! What an incredible opportunity--I'm so happy for you! You'll have to keep us posted on how the new job goes. :D

Erik said:
http://www.birkenstock.com/styles/74071/manager=ProdDisplay&brand=600&category=20o40o120o140&user_id=0&store_id=0&page=1&cat=birki

I swear by these, RJ!!!!!!!!!! Very, very comfortable!!!!

i've always wondered why chefs wear these things. is it just for the comfort? with so much of the shoe cut away, i guess they're fairly cool as well, for working in hot kitchens.

RJ,

That is indeed awesome!! Congrats!

As someone who usually ends up passing through Chicago a couple of times a year, please do post the link when the website goes up, maybe it'll be on the travel path!

John

buckytom said:
Erik said:
http://www.birkenstock.com/styles/74071/manager=ProdDisplay&brand=600&category=20o40o120o140&user_id=0&store_id=0&page=1&cat=birki

I swear by these, RJ!!!!!!!!!! Very, very comfortable!!!!

i've always wondered why chefs wear these things. is it just for the comfort? with so much of the shoe cut away, i guess they're fairly cool as well, for working in hot kitchens.
From clogsonline:

comfort and support
The firm rubber or wooden bottoms on clogs offer all-day support. That is why so many professionals that stand or walk on the job wear them. Clogs offer a firm foundation for weak and fallen arches, plantar fasciitis, and for tired and aching legs.

The heel height of many clogs makes you stand straighter, thus taking pressure off the lower back and hips.

The wide toe and natural foot shape of clogs keep your feet cradled, but not constricted. The thickness of the sole under the ball of your foot allows your feet to roll. Simply put, your feet bend less which takes the pressure off toes and joints. This helps relieve bunions, hammer toes, metatarsal problem, and aching toe joints.

rubber or wood bottoms
Wood offers a little more support; but if your feet are tender or your knees hurt, wear rubber bottoms for more cushioning.

People who do more standing than actual walking do better in wood bottoms. People on the go all-day long may prefer the flexibility of rubber.

open-back or closed-back
This is primarily a fashion decision. Closed-back clogs may give the feeling of a little more security; but remember, these are clogs -- not shoes. Your heels will move up and down. (Refer to the Fitting Tips.)

Also, if you have very wide feet or a high instep, the open-back styles will fit more comfortably.

fashion, convenience, and value
Today's clogs are fashionable and convenient -- a perfect fit for an on-the-go-lifestyle.
They are made of natural, breathable materials.
They offer great value in terms of durability and serviceability.
They offer support for your feet and body.

thanks erik.
i personally can't stand wearing open backed shoes. need the support. but the rest makes sense for people who stand a lot.

Hey Ardge.........just wanted to check in and see how the new job is going?
I'm sure your having the time of your life.........congrats again! :D

Hey all,
The official first day of restaurant training is tomorrow. The past week I was training for this VIP party held at my work this past Saturday. The official opening of the restaurant is Feb 21.

Here's the deal....

The kitchen did not pass some electrical inspection or something. There has been numerous roadblocks and delays along the way of opening the restaurant, but this one was urgent because VIP party invitations had already been sent out to 500 people and their guests. There could be no delay. It HAD to open on time. The cooks had to be trained elsewhere while the code violation be fixed. Electricians worked around the clock and we cooks trained at various locations. Time was of the essence. For two days, I trained at a kitchen that belongs to the company who supplies my work with canned and dry goods. Wednesday, the two sous chefs showed me how to do their versions of many desserts. Thursday, I was joined by the two other pastry chefs. Friday, we were able to train at the restaurant because we had passed a final inspection. We started to stock, clean and get the kitchen workable. The line cooks seasoned all the saute pans. We fired up all the burners on the line (18 in front, 6 in back). We had all ovens and grills cranked. We heated up the place. It was awesome. Myself and the two other pastry chefs I work with began to prep for the following night. Saturday, I started at 10 AM and worked to 10 PM, nonstop. We had to have 1200 of three different desserts made. For the last two hours, we were in the cooler piping out creams, fillings and placing garnishes. One of the sous chefs stuck his head in the cooler and yelled, "5 MINUTES!" We had about 4 minutes of work left. It was so down to the wire.

At the peak time of the party, there were over 1000 people in the bar and restaurant. They were all area dignitaries and celebrities. At any given time, there were tours of the kitchen given to them as well. I felt like a zoo animal at times. The cooler door opened and I hear, "Here is where the cold foo.... Oh, this is where some of our cooks work as well."

It was insane crazy busy...... but I loved every second of it.

It is so much fun.

When I hit the 12 hour mark, Chef told me to call it a night. After I thanked and congratulated him, I asked if I could take a walk through of the packed restaurant. He warned me that I might get swarmed because of the chef jacket. I did. It was awesome.

OK, I am out. Thanks for bumping this thread! I am really digging the opportunity here.

RJ

Ardge.........sounds like your having the time of your life! I wish you great success. So what celebs did you see there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom