It's official! ~ I become a Pastry Chef on Monday!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best of luck, ardge. If nothing else you've had some great experience the last few months. Be sure to keep us posted on how things are going for you!:chef:

It so sucks that what you walked into perceiving to be an ideal job turned out to be the exact opposite.

But the huge silver lining is that you are adding the much-needed experience to your resume! Your job search became infinitely easier. And I've no doubt that with your drive and integrity, you can and will find that perfect fit.

Soak up all of the learing you can from where you are. That kind of experience is never wasted as you carry it within you where ever you go!

:heart:
Z

Ardge, Good Luck on the interview. Keep us posted. Hopefully you will find a more lucrative position working the hours you would like.

I haven't really known you...but this was so sad! All the excitement in the first posts...and now so deflated! But don't despair!!! It's all part of a greater plan...and you will be there to enjoy each minute of it. Don't look back...just look forward...don't be sad...be happy for the experience. I'll keep you in my prayers...and I'm wishing you the best!

Hey everyone, I can't express enough how much I appreciate this outpouring of encouragement! I really love this place and you all as well.

My interview is changed to Saturday. However, the window of opportunity to meet the chef is kinda tight. 12-5 PM. I start work at 9 AM and I never know when I get off. Saturday is a busy day too!

Oh well...

Thank you ALL again for thinking of me and keeping me in your thoughts. You're all in my corner and I love having you there. :)

RJ

Ardge; Hang tight. I too love both cooking and writing. I have three completed novels, two fantasy and one science fiction, with a couple more in progress. I haven't seriously tried to publish them as my writing skills need improvement. I've been told by at least two agents that I have no buisness giving up my dream of publishing because I have the natural story-telling gift. I'm told that my stories are wonderfully creative, fun to read, and that my plots move well. My weakness is in character development.

The plots, I'm told, are very good. The pacing is fast and exciting, but my characters come off as two-dimensional, and I can't seem to fix it.

As for the cooking, well, I have three cookbooks written that aren't your average cookbooks. You'd have to read one to understand how they are different from standard cookbooks. I haven't tried professionally publishing them yet as I continue to learn new things that make some of my older ideas obsolete, though the ideas are still correct. Besides, publishing requires money, something that my family uses up almost faster than I can earn it.

But you are younger than I, and with more opportunity before you. I chose a field of technology instead of passion. Though technology can be approached with passion, and my training could have made it so, it would have required risks, and I opted for safety. My family will always come first.

I still may realize my dreams with respect to the cullinary arts. I will have a working website that will offer the skills learned over such a long time, along with advice for preparing meats, fish and poultry, to working with custards, sauces, soups, and pastries, not to mention sides and veggies. There is so much to know, so much to teach. But when a knowledge of physics, chemistry, scientific methodology, and artistic passion combine with countless hours of trying new techniques, new foods, and ways to create unique recipes, an intrinsic, almost intuitive knowledge emerges that can fill in the pure knowledge and experience gaps.

I too have a love for the cullinary and written arts. But my overiding skill, my job, is and always will be taking care of my family, that is, being a father and husband. And to that end, I will continue to bring in a good wage by making my customers happy and solving their issues. I'm a telecom tech, with a B.S. in electrical engineering technology, a degree that was supposed to move me far beyond the mundane job I now accomplish.

So I come here, to offer the knowledge I have, and to get advise in those areas that I'm inexperienced in.

Ardge, you found your passion at an age where you can do something with it. Grab hold of that passion as if it were the mein of a winged horse, hurtling through the icy stratosphere (now is that cliche or what:rolleyes:). It will carry you to your goal, to your dream. Don't be content to settle for mundane, unless you have a very important reason to (see my line at the bottom of the page).

One cautionary word though; great passion carries with it the possibility of great sorrow. For passion requires that you move toward your dream with maximum energy. And when obstacles place themselves into your path, be they human, or circumstantial, that forward momentum is briefly halted, and is cause for great personal tumult. Artistic people are driven more by emotion than are logical people. And emotion too easily converts from one extreme to another. So, my advice is to blend the logical and artistic sides of yourself into one, as I have done. But, where the logical side dominates in me, let the artistic side dominate in you, but not dominate you.

And this from a man of few regrets, who will turn 50 tomorrow.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Ardge said:
Hey everyone, I can't express enough how much I appreciate this outpouring of encouragement! I really love this place and you all as well.

My interview is changed to Saturday. However, the window of opportunity to meet the chef is kinda tight. 12-5 PM. I start work at 9 AM and I never know when I get off. Saturday is a busy day too!

Oh well...

Thank you ALL again for thinking of me and keeping me in your thoughts. You're all in my corner and I love having you there. :)

RJ
Just feign a sudden attack of stomach flu!! They will surely let you go early!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

GotN, I just really would like to thank you again for your above post. Each and every time I read it, I get lost in my thoughts. As a fellow writer, my words are an extention of my heart. I can only hope to one day be able to publish one of these many open-ended works in progress I have. (The one thing I return to the most is a movie treatment. Yes, it does take place in a restaurant. Go figure!!!)

I'm sadly learning that not only does one NOT become "comfortable in the money department" in this field overnight, but it is very hard to even earn a respectable wage to support a family. I am single and have no children, but I am STILL rubbing nickles together at the end of the month. The bills I have are heavy to me, but miniscule to some. It sometimes does not seem fair, bit fair is not the way of the world. More times than not, you have to make your own breaks. I'm in this situation because I chose to be here. I've never forgotten that. I am the first man or woman in my family to work in the foodservice industry. There are times I wish I never chased this Culinary Arts dream. That said, there are more times I am glad I did.

Reality does set in each and every day though. Though I am younger than you (33), I not young by any means. The wages offered to me are great for an 18 year old. I wish I had started this career then, not at 30. It's getting pretty hard to deal with this, but I am gonna stick it out as long as I can.

Tomorrow will bring new news. I pray for the good variety.

Happy belated birthday to you my friend. I hope it was a fantastic one.

RJ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom